Re: The sad story about Purism and the Librem?

I know very little about Purism, but as with "green" or "carbon neutral" or "fair trade", "open source" has become a marketing thing for selling products. By it's very nature, hardware is a tangible product which is developed and sold for profit, and it's why I'm convinced that open hardware is a long way off, only a utopian fantasy at this point.  In my view it will only ever be a reality if there is some regulation in place. Right now at this moment in time, that seems like a pipe dream.

Until then, almost everything that makes claims of "privacy", "open source", "free", etc - and which is operated for profit - should be treated with some scepticism.

For example, Raspberry Pi was a wonderful thing for many, it was aimed at education, low cost, designed to work with Linux and most never considered Broadcom's involvement and proprietary firmware. People often see things through a very narrow lens and those marketing such products can exploit that, to focus on a few key aspects of "freedom" while ignoring many other key areas.

Yes, fitting from my point of view. But therefore hardware no longer considered as "new released" should be the main focus, the so-called "after-market". Also here: That's most time a compromise, but most one being less harmful. Without the utopian view for sure.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

blackhole wrote:

I know very little about Purism, but as with "green" or "carbon neutral" or "fair trade", "open source" has become a marketing thing for selling products. By it's very nature, hardware is a tangible product which is developed and sold for profit, and it's why I'm convinced that open hardware is a long way off, only a utopian fantasy at this point.  In my view it will only ever be a reality if there is some regulation in place. Right now at this moment in time, that seems like a pipe dream.

Until then, almost everything that makes claims of "privacy", "open source", "free", etc - and which is operated for profit - should be treated with some scepticism.

For example, Raspberry Pi was a wonderful thing for many, it was aimed at education, low cost, designed to work with Linux and most never considered Broadcom's involvement and proprietary firmware. People often see things through a very narrow lens and those marketing such products can exploit that, to focus on a few key aspects of "freedom" while ignoring many other key areas.

Ironically, a lot of hardware has climate friendly pledge that is so far from it.

The moment any hardware has backdoors and data collection done regularly, that status should be revoked automatically, because it is wasting electricity and likely to end up in a landfill due to security issues and is a hog already.

This can be applied to all hardware that does this when the climate is already in trouble...

I mean for God's sake, are they trying to kill the planet as fast as possible?

What good does money do these people, if the planet gets to a point where people die because of this greed?

Its like spending a bunch of money on a special type of oil to run a car, but your car is likely going to die in a few days.

Utterly stupid... but this is many times stupider.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

throgh wrote:

Exactly their software is non-free: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/redpine-firmware-nonfree
The problem with PureOS is: It is a marketing-move and the FSF has gone willing with it. Did they know? Well, unclear until today. Nevertheless Puism is not doing anything "ethical" as this is just their point of sale and marketing. Nothing more: They tell something with buzzwords around their devices. In fact those devices are not that bad for sure, but also not that good as they promised.

I wonder to myself if Purism is the type of company that if they thought they could get away with it, they would remove all blobs, but neglect to mention to their customers that the hardware couldn't boot because of this.

By get away with it, I mean legally...

tongue

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!