Topic: Releases and promotion - it goes hand in hand

August 10 2022, visiting hyperbola.info. What do I see?

Release notice 'Milky Way v0.4.1 install medium release' - 2022-08-03 - Tobias Dausend wrote:

We hereby announce a new revision of Hyperbola live image for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre. With this new version we have removed support for Hypertalking, fixed, updated and added many packages.

Download information can be found here.

I get to know this only now, although I'm having a close eye on Planet GNU and GNU Project - Recent Software Releases. Get in touch with both spots for making sure, that GNU Hyperbola, part of the GNU project, is in the loop!
These are good, relevant news, bringing forward the GNU project as a whole. So the free libre software community as a whole has an interest in getting to know this easier than by stumpling upon it a week later by actively visiting hyperbola.info.

Re: Releases and promotion - it goes hand in hand

Well, if there is interest? For sure. But nevertheless we had our own contact with parts of the GNU-project and foremost there was no further interest into Hyperbola at that time. Personally I don't know how to add Hyperbola to those listings, besides: Hyperbola is recognized as system following the FSDG, but not being part of GNU at all and with HyperbolaBSD we will leave those spaces for sure further. We will for sure have GNU included partwise and we will also follow the FSDG on-going with free culture included, but based on own implementation and complete different.

And I don't see the point in general: Yes, it would bring people here. But I don't think it is complicated to have a search for Hyperbola as project. When searching for systems without systemd you will find us for sure at once. Remember also that we have and had enough work to explain why we removed Linux-only frameworks and did a complete rework. With more people coming, there will be again more discussions if we could integrate this or that library, use this or that framework and when we ask if there is interest in support and porting we only see a big cloud of dust risind then. It is hard work to be done, not easy as many projects get more and more on wrong lines and we have much work removing non-free parts or complicated dependencies.

I also see those "services" reporting back "new versions and releases" as kind of double-sided: On the one hand it is nice to know about new releases, but on the other hand this is exactly the problem free culture and soft- / hardware has. People are just oriented onto convinience instead of participating within projects and communities nowadays. If some system is no longer needed or is falling into mistrust? Okay, change the system and make a switch to another one. So in the end projects get attention and then falling into ignorance because something is not fitting for the masses. Yes, I generalize here for sure and ignore the people oriented on communities. Nevertheless I see that as a big problem and also a point why it is so easy for "corporate interests" to take over with false promises. We see the examples like snort - and we have tried to use it for sure, impossible without reasonable filters and listings, which are commercial only.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Just curious, but does the HyperTalking version have some bad dependencies in it? Is that why it was discontinued, or did no one really use it?

Either way, I recommend the Hyperbola Team, give some reasoning about this, just in case, if you have time...

wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

The question is: Are we personally ready to discuss in repeat with more people if dbus is bloatware and useless or bringing back bluetooth-support? The problem is not the discussion: It is the point that people want to make Hyperbola just to "systemd-less distribution". Yes, it was once on that part and way. But nowadays Hyperbola as project has gone beyond that point as there are different points identified. Discussions and reflections are for sure helpful, but I have reasonable doubts that bringing up Hyperbola into the GNU-context makes more outcome. Especially because we are not part of it first and second people have expectations when we go with that.

And I don't think we need to fulfill even more expectations. We want the same: Free culture, free information and secure, stable system. But the ways chosen are quite different - we want the same but are not the same. If it is easy to bind the news into the mentioned websites? Okay. I will definitely bring the point to the team for sure. No way besides. But my criticism stands! And not to name: With the migration to HyperbolaBSD we would be thrown out immediately. So it is not "GNU Hyperbola" it is and always was just "Hyperbola" - yes for now with GNU/Linux-libre and surroundings. wink

A release is a release and the need for promotions is exactly one major problem in our times: People await more marketing instead of clearly done parts standing on their own. Strange days!

HyperTalking is not part of this thread, so I spare that point here out. If you have questions about that point, please be so kind: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=656

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

@throgh:

Thank you very much for the extended explanation. I have to say: It essentially made sense, I agree.
As you've asked: All it would take is a simple e-mail to the admins of both linked sites, that's it.
But with your explanation in mind I'm pondering by myself now:
On the one hand I see justified fear of pulling in people with mindsets far away from what this—Hyperbola, especially HyperbolaBSD—is all about. I've already seen projects shattering because of too much people like that coming into a project. Growth is not good in itself, especially rapid one.
But on the other hand: Growth is important for a project to stand the test of time and being fail-safe, if 1 or 2 persons fall out for whatever reason. A project needs to build up a minimum infrastructure for being able to handle a moderate stream of newbies: Something like a few, prominently placed introduction and education sites, so that people get familiar with the projects philosophy, culture, and ways how to contribute. And my impression is: Hyberbola has that, and would not be overwhelmed be a couple of newbies bumping into the project and sticking to it. But reading between your lines I'm sensing tiredness towards that outlook, so maybe it would be a good idea, to bring a little more automation and comfort into that part of the project by a series of short introduction videos for newbies? So that the always same discussions don't come up all the time, straining people who a part of the community for a longer time already?

My personal view on the project:
The consequence in going the way of libre computing—things like HyperbolaBSD, refraining on Rust, or no support for projects with freedom flaws—that's unheard-of, extremely precious.
This must be maintained under any circumstances. The last thing needed is yet another project, being watered down over time, drifting more and more away from the path of self-determination, ending up producing and distributing libre and secure-IT placebo pills like PureOS.

I see it on that point for sure pragmatic in the first place - besides the idealist side is always part with me. I hope my criticism is not correct as it is better to be the "grumbling bear" being too cautious instead of being right with missing trust. I have brought already the point to the team and we will for sure talk about this. Perhaps we can bring up attention about the issues mentioned and people can take action. Even though there are some thoughts already with gcc-rust for example. Hope is always there! smile

throgh wrote:

The question is: Are we personally ready to discuss in repeat with more people if dbus is bloatware and useless or bringing back bluetooth-support? The problem is not the discussion: It is the point that people want to make Hyperbola just to "systemd-less distribution". Yes, it was once on that part and way. But nowadays Hyperbola as project has gone beyond that point as there are different points identified. Discussions and reflections are for sure helpful, but I have reasonable doubts that bringing up Hyperbola into the GNU-context makes more outcome. Especially because we are not part of it first and second people have expectations when we go with that.

And I don't think we need to fulfill even more expectations. We want the same: Free culture, free information and secure, stable system. But the ways chosen are quite different - we want the same but are not the same. If it is easy to bind the news into the mentioned websites? Okay. I will definitely bring the point to the team for sure. No way besides. But my criticism stands! And not to name: With the migration to HyperbolaBSD we would be thrown out immediately. So it is not "GNU Hyperbola" it is and always was just "Hyperbola" - yes for now with GNU/Linux-libre and surroundings. wink

A release is a release and the need for promotions is exactly one major problem in our times: People await more marketing instead of clearly done parts standing on their own. Strange days!

HyperTalking is not part of this thread, so I spare that point here out. If you have questions about that point, please be so kind: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=656

My bad, I was only curious, is all...

Will do...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!