1 (edited by naizety 2022-11-09 09:13:44)

Topic: thinkpad x390, x220, t440p or t480 compatibility

Hi i want to buy thinkpad for hyperbola and i choose between x390 x220 t480 t440p, but i dont know is hardware of this laptops compatible with hypebola linux, can you pls answer me

Re: thinkpad x390, x220, t440p or t480 compatibility

And what about x220

Re: thinkpad x390, x220, t440p or t480 compatibility

Hey naizety, first and foremost important: Welcome to the forums! smile

To answer your question: Most of the named computer-systems should be compatible. But you need to know that the firmware on the mainboards is not very tolerant when it comes to other wifi-chips. To support wifi fully you need for sure a compatible card with for example Atheros and when you build them into most of the computer-systems will report back you have an "unsupported card inserted".

When you want therefore a complete freedom for your own choice the systems named would be reduced to:

x220 / x230
t440p

All of them are supported by Coreboot so far. Without a modified firmware (either Coreboot or something else) you would have problems with alternative wifi-cards inserted for sure. Without wifi all of them should nevertheless run!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!