Re: What's the lightest desktop environment?

My catwm desktop
https://libre.video/videos/watch/c5064a … 04aac36fee

Your video without Javascript, you can paste the referenced links into mpv/mplayer:

https://simpleertube.esmailelbob.xyz/li … uality=480

I'm running cwm, with iceweasel-uxp running my top's load average is between 0.20-0.30

Everything else is just scripts and coreutils basically

Bliss

How does catwm and cwm compare to jwm on the load average for your systems? Very curious, but also wondering how you even set up cwm.

RTFM tells me almost nothing lol.

OpenBSD's one weakness is that documentation is lacking on some of that.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re Catwm

I chose catwm after reading the thread in the arch forum. I realised that a chunk of the code was actually GPL'd quite early on (20100630 was the earliest reference I came across) after moetunes and milomouse hacked on it. moetunes then went on the make dminiwm (basically a very close catwm fork) and snapwm a much more feature rich version.
Though he reverted to a lax license. There were a lot of derivatives built from catwm. monsterwm frankenwm etc that have since lost momentum. Mostly as ricers seem to have moved to sucklesses dwm.

dwm and dmenu are not my thing though I did like how wmii functioned ootb.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 15&p=7
https://github.com/moetunes/dminiwm/com … /ChangeLog

The moetunes gpl'd fork was kept alive here:
https://github.com/djmasde/catwm >
https://github.com/djmasde/catwm/forks >
https://github.com/viyoriya/catwm

which is the version I'm compiled from.

There are only 2 issues I'd call bugs I've come across in catwm.
1:the odd ghost window which I noticed moetunes fixed in dminiwm.
2:A bit buggy getting the window size correct with dual screens.

There was a bug noted somewhere about disabling cycling anti-clockwise but I found a fix in the arch thread and it's been fine cycling both cycling both clockwise and anti-clockwise for me.

My setup: base

Niggles:
Not having dbus means that normal notifiers that expect it won't work. A workspace number notifier would be nice. I know the solution is possible with mkfifo but I failed to make it work with herbe. I tend to know whats where and if I do open something on an occupied workspace I just tab it through until it maximizes, in short I gave up and used a system until I didn't need it.

fittstool only works at the top of the screen in the panel area as the open windows covers the activation area. It's a minor inconvenence as I just put my top 15 or so most commonly required action at the top and if I'm going to launch something it usually goes on an empty workspace where it's not an issue anyway. iirc dminiwm fixes this. Interesingly enough xdotool works fine as a fittstool replacement in this regard but it expects some things that don't exist in catwm.

catwm is not and does not try to be fully EWMH or freedesktop complient.

herbe intigration can be buggy. I don't require it but it's usefull while learning new setting and I have to admit the "bling" is fun. I've been using fittstool for years and it's very solid and I know what's in the hotspots. I'm not a fast typer and it's as quick for me to mouse-down in the top right corner to launch pinix to access my system info than try and recal a keybind.

mc (and hence mcedit), xterm, pinit, htop, wavmon, weather (wttr), ncdu, xtrlock, zzz, are all setup in fittstool

In short I have a good .bashrc with well configured aliases and see no need for a panel.

My main keybinds are:

super (mod4) "the windows key"

I have a shocking memory so everything is setup for ease of use and easy logical recall.

super+Return: xterm (starting an xterm gives me time, date and location in the file system)
super+q: quit active window (close it)
super+x: execute run dialog (thats runner -r for me)
super+up-arrow: volume up
super+down-arrow: volume down
super+left-arrow: cycle to the workspace to the left
super+right-arrow: cycle to the workspace to the right
super+alt: cycle windows clockwise
super+ctrl: cycle windows anti-clockwise (not really needed by me as I rarely have more than 2/3 windows open on a workspace)
super+f: toggle maximize active window
super+m: send active window in stack to master
super+d: decrease master window size
super+i: increase master window size
super+number: switch to workspace number e.g: super+5 goes to workspace 5
super+shift+number: move active window to workspace number
super+v: toggle windows vertically
super+h: toggle windows horizontally (I have mine set in horizontally by default)
super+shift+Delete: exit out to console

There are more but I never/rarely use them. I did configure alt+letter (a to z) as application launcher but found I didn't use it so disabled it.

I'm no geek so no coder but I love window managers and hate bloat and I've tried around 40. I have a very nice twm setup but it's needs set up for each and every machine to display correctly also it can be a bit prone to an odd freeze. I very much doubt many are smaller and as usable as window managers as catwm ootb.

At the end of the day I'm a copy-left freetard. I accept that I have to use open-source but prefer free-software so start from that position, copy-left > lax > permissive. I try and stay in the copy-left & lax zones. It's my main worry about Hyperbola moving to Hyperbola-BSD.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#Evaluation

I little follow up on my catwm video. Why I don't use a panel.

https://libre.video/videos/watch/6bcfb5 … 8eb3846aee

56 (edited by auanta 2023-03-10 01:33:41)

zapper wrote:

How does catwm and cwm compare to jwm on the load average for your systems? Very curious, but also wondering how you even set up cwm.

I recall the manpage for cwm being rather complete. I remember looking at BSD forums for config examples. There are configuration guides on cwm out there. To get started just install cwm and put this in your .cwmrc:

# KEYBINDINGS:
# 4 = mod (windows key)
# S = shift
# C = control
# M = meta (alt)

# (optional) make space for termbar or your favorite status bar
#gap 18 0 0 0

bind-key XF86MonBrightnessUp    "light -A 5"
bind-key XF86MonBrightnessDown  "light -U 5"
bind-key CM-Left    window-snap-left
bind-key CM-Right    window-snap-right
bind-key CM-Up        window-snap-up
bind-key CM-Down    window-snap-down
bind-key MS-Right    window-htile
bind-key MS-Up        window-vtile
bind-key MS-Left    window-hmaximize
bind-key MS-Down    window-vmaximize
bind-key MS-i        "iceweasel-uxp"

command iceweasel-uxp    "firejail --seccomp --noroot --disable-mnt iceweasel-uxp"
command elinks "st -e elinks"
#command myscript "st -n myscript -g  -i -c myscript -T myscript -e ~/path/to/myscript

autogroup 0 "termbar"
autogroup 1 "st"
autogroup 2 "alsamixer"
autogroup 3 "mpv"
autogroup 3 "moc"
autogroup 4 "conky"
autogroup 5 "iceweasel, iceweasel-uxp"
autogroup 5 "elinks"

# this says to do not draw borders around these
# e.g. ignore xclock
#ignore    "myscript"

# colors
color menubg black
color font white
color activeborder purple
#color inactive border gray
color selfont red
color urgencyborder red
color menufg black 

# window options 
# border width 2
# snap windows to edges at 1 pixels distance
snapdist 1

# turn on sticky group mode
# sticky yes

# Set default font for menus
#fontname "sans-serif:pixelsize=14:bold"
fontname "dejavu sans mono:size=12"

Then put this in your .xinitrc

[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge -I$HOME ~/.Xresources
exec cwm

I think your confusion may be with the .xinitrc file and calling xinit automatically, I configured these things by hand.

When experimenting with cwm you can Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Q to quit cwm and go back to the basic shell. xinit to start cwm again. This avoids reboots.

Any questions, just ask

57 (edited by auanta 2023-03-10 01:27:42)

In cwm there are no 'workspaces' iirc, but you can simulate workspaces by assigning windows to specific groups, and only showing a certain window group designated by you. This can be preconfigured in .cwmrc for apps you routinely use.

Tbh though I just alt-tab through windows because I am simple.

No problems encountered with herbe in cwm.

cwm comes with a built-in app launcher that lives at Alt-Shift-/ and this for me is the killer feature that lets me rapidly search for and execute apps I've installed.

Apart from the open termal command I key-binded in .cwmrc, maximizing, shrinking, and snapping windows to a grid, that's all I use most of the time. Also, you can change all the keybinds if you want.

I successfully migrated my setup to another latop with a large screen and I didn't have to change anything.

Plus cwm is 18 years old, I like old software.

Oslek wrote:

Re Catwm
herbe intigration can be buggy.

I'm no geek so no coder but I love window managers and hate bloat I have a very nice twm setup but it's needs set up for each and every machine to display correctly also it can be a bit prone to an odd freeze.

I'd set super+a for the launcher and super+s to search windows.

Also, xbanish it's fine:

https://github.com/jcs/xbanish

I'm aware of xbanish because of my ratpoison adventures, but  I also have open dyslexic as my font. TYVM Hyperbola for making it availible BTY. Hence I also love my mouse, so fittstool too. Typing things the wrong way around can be a pita. Variety is a wonderful thing Which is one of my gripes about the "Feedesktop" and it's corporate take over the user space.  At the end of the day choice is good. Yesterday I compiled e16. Old but still maintained and up to date. It strikes me as a better alternative than Lumina. Likewise TDE they're friendly to patches and very complete and self contained. I know that Selk the Dragora maintainer has submited patches. Strikes me that it may be less work to support these Desktops collaboratively than always playing catch up with the main stream.

In regards to e16 a couple of things I noted. Obviously I suppose it was looking for pulseaudio and not finding it and while the default themes was very clean the rest that were bundled looked dated. I have it on other machines though and there are some very nice themes. Light at about 12MB in ps_mem.

auanta wrote:
zapper wrote:

I recall the manpage for cwm being rather complete. I remember looking at BSD forums for config examples. There are configuration guides on cwm out there. To get started just install cwm and put this in your .cwmrc:

# KEYBINDINGS:
# 4 = mod (windows key)
# S = shift
# C = control
# M = meta (alt)

# (optional) make space for termbar or your favorite status bar
#gap 18 0 0 0

bind-key XF86MonBrightnessUp    "light -A 5"
bind-key XF86MonBrightnessDown  "light -U 5"
bind-key CM-Left    window-snap-left
bind-key CM-Right    window-snap-right
bind-key CM-Up        window-snap-up
bind-key CM-Down    window-snap-down
bind-key MS-Right    window-htile
bind-key MS-Up        window-vtile
bind-key MS-Left    window-hmaximize
bind-key MS-Down    window-vmaximize
bind-key MS-i        "iceweasel-uxp"

command iceweasel-uxp    "firejail --seccomp --noroot --disable-mnt iceweasel-uxp"
command elinks "st -e elinks"
#command myscript "st -n myscript -g  -i -c myscript -T myscript -e ~/path/to/myscript

autogroup 0 "termbar"
autogroup 1 "st"
autogroup 2 "alsamixer"
autogroup 3 "mpv"
autogroup 3 "moc"
autogroup 4 "conky"
autogroup 5 "iceweasel, iceweasel-uxp"
autogroup 5 "elinks"

# this says to do not draw borders around these
# e.g. ignore xclock
#ignore    "myscript"

# colors
color menubg black
color font white
color activeborder purple
#color inactive border gray
color selfont red
color urgencyborder red
color menufg black 

# window options 
# border width 2
# snap windows to edges at 1 pixels distance
snapdist 1

# turn on sticky group mode
# sticky yes

# Set default font for menus
#fontname "sans-serif:pixelsize=14:bold"
fontname "dejavu sans mono:size=12"

Then put this in your .xinitrc

[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge -I$HOME ~/.Xresources
exec cwm

I think your confusion may be with the .xinitrc file and calling xinit automatically, I configured these things by hand.

When experimenting with cwm you can Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Q to quit cwm and go back to the basic shell. xinit to start cwm again. This avoids reboots.

Any questions, just ask

Hmm...well, my problem is I didn't know what CM1 did.

I wanted to know because I couldn't friggin start a terminal to figure anything out.  So yeah, you probably are right.

But tell me, does what you did above work with console-tdm?

I use tdm as my display manager, hence my question...

61 (edited by auanta 2023-03-12 02:19:08)

zapper wrote:

Hmm...well, my problem is I didn't know what CM1 did.

I wanted to know because I couldn't friggin start a terminal to figure anything out.  So yeah, you probably are right.

But tell me, does what you did above work with console-tdm?

I use tdm as my display manager, hence my question...

I never heard of tdm. Github says: "The TDM display manager is a wrapper script for startx"
"It has a helper script, called tdmctl to manage tdm sessions. Each tdm session is a symlink to an executable script that will be called in place of the final exec in .xinitrc."

I don't see why they'd conflict, UNIX philosophy: components must be interchangeable. The problem you encountered would just as likely happen with other wms, which function in a similar way to cwm, so the underlying mechanism needs to be investigated. I just know that cwm can be called without exec or ampersand (&), but not without issues, maybe you could try

cwm &
exec tdm --xstart

not sure

And reading through it sounds like it would just be a matter of messing with .xinitrc, but I don't know the program well enough to say what would be the fix

But on the cwm side of things: when cwm starts up it's supposed to show a black screen. Look at keybindings. CM-Return to open a terminal. You can also edit .xinitrc to start a terminal (or anything else) automatically when xenocara starts.

Maybe, I need to add the .cwmrc file.

I don't know how to do that though or what it should look like or where it should go.

.cwmrc  is the config file.