Topic: What web browser do you use?

I admit that it is getting harder to function on the desktop.
More and more pages do not want to display.
I use iceweasel but it's hard, Iceape is practically the same. (e.g. recently Protonmail has stopped working)
Badwolf displays more pages, but it lacks a lot of functionality.

So what browser do you use?

Re: What web browser do you use?

A webbrowser should display and render HTML-scripted webpages, nothing more. So in fact the same: Iceweasel-UXP foremost, Iceape-UXP and Bad Wolf. Sufficient so far and if the "network" is going more crazy as it is today, I will stop using even more. I do not need a "multimedia-central" with even more dependencies on my system.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

You are right, but it leads to a blind street, an operating system with a working desktop, must have an efficient browser.
I just suggest that it could be useful to refresh iceweasel.

That is not that easy as it sounds: First of all the UXP-framework is not building on 32bit as they use a very inefficient and memory-consuming build-system and second no UXP-application is here at Hyperbola done directly by us. So Luke can only help here: https://pagure.io/iceweasel-uxp

Furthermore the more newer version, the more possible problems go into the package for the webbrowser. Hyperbola is a minimalist system and therefore we would even go that far to remove a package before its dependencies go out of hands. That leaves a functional and efficient system and that is our goal.

For Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre there is no timeline at this current moment to upgrade the UXP-applications. for HyperbolaBSD there is porting in the making. But again: 32bit is not that easy. And that shows how inefficent and respectless some applications and projects act today - relied towards UXP and Mozilla in generic also for their Rust-effort.

An operating-system must have to work in the meanings of the user and in the hands of the user, this is excluding a webbrowser when it is a high security-risk and not efficient fullfilling only the basics: Rendering HTML-pages, as said not more. A webbrowser is an optional application. But if the community has an idea to update UXP (32bit / 64bit) or some other solution? Exactly that is now the time after 0.4.3.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Advice if anyone uses any XUL based web browser, add modify http response and put these filters in the filter fox:

[["/^/",["/^\\/assets\\/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/^\\/assets\\/discourse-[0-9a-f]{4}/",["(.d-modal-legacy\"","(.d-modal-legacy)\"","document.execCommand(\"insertText\",!1,","this._textarea.setRangeText("]]]]

and then check off enable.

Otherwise some websites will be absolutely obnoxious.
wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I use Links -g and either "offpunk" or cgmnlm  for Gemini with a proxy (gemini://gemi.dev) to read some news sites.
For the iceweasel-uxp building issue, did you try using clang to build it instead of gcc? It will use far less RAM. Also, you can enable, for instance, a compressed GB of RAM with ZRAM.
It woks well in my 2GB netbook:

doas modprobe zram 
doas zramctl --find --size 1024M 
doas mkswap /dev/zram0
doas swapon -p 9999 /dev/zram0

That's a nice tipp, anthk.
Thanks, I will speak with the team about so we can perhaps update more easy. smile