Topic: New Install Network Connection

Hi All,

Have successfully installed Hyperbola from the ISO image.  However, I am unable to reach the Internet.

Observed behavior:
- upon login as root - ping generates error that name resolution is temporarily unavailable
- upon login as user - ping generates error that network is unavailable

Observed odd behavior:
- upon login as root or user - the network interface must be brought up using the iplink command as
- - ip link set eno1 up
- - - comment - have never seen a Linux install that required this action before

Troubleshooting to date:
- have verified the network kernel driver is loaded
- have verified the /etc/hosts - /etc/hostname - /etc/host.conf  files are present and appear configured correctly
- have verified that the dhcpcd.conf file is present and appears configured correctly

Troubleshooting references:
- started with the Hyperbola wiki which directed me to the Arch networking wiki
- used the Arch networking wiki to check for network kernel driver and network interface status

Next steps?
- would appreciate any pointers on how to proceed

2 (edited by zapper 2018-12-22 12:25:23)

Re: New Install Network Connection

tat wrote:

Hi All,

Have successfully installed Hyperbola from the ISO image.  However, I am unable to reach the Internet.

Observed behavior:
- upon login as root - ping generates error that name resolution is temporarily unavailable
- upon login as user - ping generates error that network is unavailable

Observed odd behavior:
- upon login as root or user - the network interface must be brought up using the iplink command as
- - ip link set eno1 up
- - - comment - have never seen a Linux install that required this action before

Troubleshooting to date:
- have verified the network kernel driver is loaded
- have verified the /etc/hosts - /etc/hostname - /etc/host.conf  files are present and appear configured correctly
- have verified that the dhcpcd.conf file is present and appears configured correctly

Troubleshooting references:
- started with the Hyperbola wiki which directed me to the Arch networking wiki
- used the Arch networking wiki to check for network kernel driver and network interface status

Next steps?
- would appreciate any pointers on how to proceed

Did you do any of these? Particularly... this one...  rc-update add NetworkManager default

Also, you need dialog installed and NetworkManager + optionally, network-manager-applet.

rc-update add lvm boot
rc-update add dmcrypt boot
rc-update add mdraid boot
rc-update add cronie default
rc-update add elogind default
rc-update add alsasound default
rc-update add sshd default
rc-update add NetworkManager default
rc-update add syslog-ng default
rc-update add avahi-daemon default
rc-update add avahi-dnsconfd default
rc-update add cupsd default
rc-update add ntpd default
rc-update add udev default
rc-update add dhcpcd default
rc-update add dbus default
rc-update add lxdm default
rc-update add fuse default
rc-update add lm_sensors default
rc-update add acpid default
rc-update add libvirtd default

PS, use ethernet if you need any packages critical for wifi. if you don't have them already. This is my advice, perhaps someone may have better, not sure.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Hi Zapper,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

None of the suggested tasks were initiated because neither the wiki instructions for "beginner" or "regular" installation said they were necessary.

Could you please explain what is being accomplished with these actions and why these actions are necessary to connect to the Ethernet.

To reiterate, the problem is that after following the "beginner" or "regular" wiki installation instructions there is no internet connectivity and any attempt to ping the internet produces the errors mentioned in the original post.

Further, it is odd that no internet connectivity is available since the "installation CD" allowed and required internet connectivity to complete the installation process.

4 (edited by zapper 2018-12-22 23:34:17)

tat wrote:

Hi Zapper,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

None of the suggested tasks were initiated because neither the wiki instructions for "beginner" or "regular" installation said they were necessary.

Could you please explain what is being accomplished with these actions and why these actions are necessary to connect to the Ethernet.

To reiterate, the problem is that after following the "beginner" or "regular" wiki installation instructions there is no internet connectivity and any attempt to ping the internet produces the errors mentioned in the original post.

Further, it is odd that no internet connectivity is available since the "installation CD" allowed and required internet connectivity to complete the installation process.

Hmm... Well did you read the part about ethernet?

I have never installed Hyperbola without ethernet... ;/

Though, there should be a guide to install with wifi, that much I agree with.

ps, to initate internet with ethernet, dhcpcd is usually enough.

Hi Zapper,

There seems to be some confusion.

I installed Hyperion from the iso image with Ethernet connected to the Internet.

In other words, I was able to ping the Ethernet and verified WWW network connectivity while running the Hyperion installation image running from a thumb drive.

I do not use wifi and have no interest in using wireless for connecting to the Internet.

When I booted Hyperion natively from an SSD for the first time after installation, there was and still is no Internet connectivity via Ethernet.

I have gone through the list previously provided and only find the suggestion for dhcpcd relevant for Internet connectivity.

I will run  rc-update dhcpcd as suggested and report back.

6 (edited by zapper 2018-12-23 19:34:23)

tat wrote:

Hi Zapper,

There seems to be some confusion.

I installed Hyperion from the iso image with Ethernet connected to the Internet.

In other words, I was able to ping the Ethernet and verified WWW network connectivity while running the Hyperion installation image running from a thumb drive.

I do not use wifi and have no interest in using wireless for connecting to the Internet.

When I booted Hyperion natively from an SSD for the first time after installation, there was and still is no Internet connectivity via Ethernet.

I have gone through the list previously provided and only find the suggestion for dhcpcd relevant for Internet connectivity.

I will run  rc-update dhcpcd as suggested and report back.

Try nmtui then if you have networkmanager installed. 

nmtui sometimes helps. or dhcpcd like i stated previously

Hi Zapper,

Success with "rc-update add dhcpcd default".

Am now able to reach the Internet using both the "root" and "user" accounts.

Thank you for the suggestion - I would never have found this solution by reading the Hyperion or Arch wikis.

Would suggest that the Hyperion wiki no longer rely on the Arch wiki since Arch uses systemd and is now less useful for Hyperion users.

Would also suggest that the Hyperion wiki be updated for beginners like myself to avoid unnecessary confusion.

All the help is very much appreciated.

Now on to other setup challenges.

tat wrote:

Hi Zapper,

Success with "rc-update add dhcpcd default".

Am now able to reach the Internet using both the "root" and "user" accounts.

Thank you for the suggestion - I would never have found this solution by reading the Hyperion or Arch wikis.

Would suggest that the Hyperion wiki no longer rely on the Arch wiki since Arch uses systemd and is now less useful for Hyperion users.

Would also suggest that the Hyperion wiki be updated for beginners like myself to avoid unnecessary confusion.

All the help is very much appreciated.

Now on to other setup challenges.

Glad I could help, and yes, they should add that to wiki.  smile but yeah, its Hyperbola silly, not Hyperion. wink