Topic: Hyperbola 0.4.4 reference installation questions.

(Start of main questions)

Will Hyperbola 0.4.4 still be able to use pacman with it's operating system installer?

Also I do not yet know if some of the things in this are set once or twice. Or if I may do this in the right order.

(End of main questions)

I saw some things after looking at
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation
with

iw dev
ip link set wlp2s0 up
iw dev wlp2s0 scan | grep SSID

than saw wifi network names.

Than I also used the

wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c <(wpa_passphrase "The_WiFi_name_I_wish_to_connect_to_here" "It's_password_here")

things, though that is not the name and password I used.

and saw

cfdisk /dev/sda

and

Then make a new partition by choosing New and then make it Primary. Make this first partition a Swap. 1/4 of you computer’s memory should be enough. So with 8 GB of memory, your Swap would then be 2 GB. Then choose the End flag.

The rest of the space should be made Primary, then choose the Boot flag to make this partition bootable. Then choose Write and type ’yes’ to save your changes to disk. Then Quit.

You will then have something like this:

sda2 Boot  Primary  Linux
sda1             Primary  Linux  Swap / Solaris

though I do not know why there are 2 "Primary" things.

So maybe this means the first one is set things in the "graphical partitioning table" to the swap type and the other is set as Boot, I think.

though the sda1 above looks like swap and sda2 looks like Boot. I do not know if that order matters or not.

But than I saw

Remember to create any stacked block devices like LUKS, or RAID.

though I do not yet know how to do that with Hyperbola as I set up things on Trisquel's graphical installer, so maybe not using these will not be a large problem.
Unless these can somehow improve security for a computer against remote cracking.

I also saw

Activate swap

# mkswap /dev/sda1

# swapon /dev/sda1

Mount the root partition

# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

and also things about setting the keyboard. I do not know if the above mounts root or boot. Though I do not think I need to type

loadkeys uk.

So next I may need to type

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2

Than this is also

Mount the partitions

We now must mount the root partition on /mnt. You should also create directories for and mount any other partitions (/mnt/boot, /mnt/home, …) and mount your swap-partition if you want them to be detected by genfstab.

I thought is was mounted already with

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

as shown above.

But maybe it needs to be mounted again. For some reason. Or maybe somehow that is a "Boot" mount and not "root" mount.

And also there was

Activate swap

# mkswap /dev/sda1

# swapon /dev/sda1

before. So that was just to activate swap than, I think.

I do not see a command to mount a swap.

So maybe

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

could work, though it is already an "Activate swap" without being mounted, I think.

So mount the "Activated swap" swap thing than.

A note here, on Trisquel I typed with the Mate Terminal lsblk and saw in part

sda                       8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 
├─sda1                    8:1    0     1M  0 part 
├─sda2                    8:2    0   513M  0 part  /boot/efi
├─sda3                    8:3    0   1.7G  0 part  /boot
└─sda4                    8:4    0 463.6G  0 part 
  └─sda4_crypt          253:0    0 463.6G  0 crypt
    ├─vgtrisquel-root   253:1    0  23.3G  0 lvm   /
    ├─vgtrisquel-swap_1 253:2    0   5.6G  0 lvm   [SWAP]
    └─vgtrisquel-home   253:3    0 434.7G  0 lvm   /home

But this was made with Trisquel's graphical installer, so I mostly just clicked on things without learning how to do this with a command line.

So if it looks like that, to get a "home" also I may need to type something like I did with swap. Maybe like

mount /dev/sda3 /boot

and

mount /dev/sda4 /home

Note I think I mixed up some thing here after twice mounting a root or boot. Or at least looking at the

page when typing this.

Was sda2 a Boot partition that showed in the text under

Mount the root partition

# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

so a Boot and not a "mount the root than" maybe, though I do not know.

Also does this mean that swap does not have a file system, as swap is, likely at if I saw right, in or at a

/dev/sda1

?

Okay so this may be how to set system time, I think.
First see a date with

date

At least two ways to set it if it is not correct.

date 111318442013.32

For 6:44:32 PM on the 13th of November 2013.
Or whatever time is has to be set as.
Or

date MMDDhhmm[[CC]YY][.ss]

So maybe like

date 11131832[[CC]YY][.ss]

I think I will use the other one, if needed.

There is also

Base system installation
Before installing, you may want to edit /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist such that your preferred mirror is first. This copy of the mirrorlist will be installed on your new system by pacstrap as well, so it's worth getting it right.

though if pacman is being changed will the Hyperbola 0.4.4 still work for installing Hyperbola 0.4.4? I do not know if

pacstrap /mnt base

is only in pacman.

Than

pacstrap /mnt wpa_supplicant

because I need a password for the wifi.

I than saw

Generate an fstab

# genfstab -U -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

Generate a fstab with the following command (if you prefer to use UUIDs or labels, add the -U or -L option, respectively):

# genfstab -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

I can try to "Generate an fstab" even though I did not know what a "fstab" is. So I looked a little at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab

You may also look there.

The next thing may be this.

Chroot and configure the base system

Next we need to enter directly our newly installed system:

# arch-chroot /mnt

Write your hostname to /etc/hostname

So does Hyperbola use arch somehow?
Or is this just a program?

I hope the Hyperbola installer shows when to set the hostname.

I think HyperbolaBSD may have a more easy way to setup the system, if I remember right from a page I may have saw on the Hyperbola website.

So than

echo localhost > /etc/hostname

than

Add the same hostname, i.e. localhost, to /etc/hosts.

somehow saving it with a program likely called nano.

nano /etc/hosts

<ip-address> <hostname.domain.org> <hostname>
127.0.0.1                localhost.localdomain     localhost localhost
::1                             localhost.localdomain     localhost localhost

echo myhostname > /etc/hostname

Than

Symlink /etc/localtime to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Zone/SubZone. Replace Zone and Subzone to your liking. For example:

# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Athens /etc/localtime

Set locale preferences in /etc/locale.conf

So unless it shows a way to see more "Zone and Subzone" areas my time will be the same as Athens' time, even though I do not live there.

I can likely use the time that was set before, but if I need to use this time also I may have Athens' time. I may be able to reset it later.

Than I can set a language.

nano /etc/locale.gen

Uncomment (remove the #) like

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

than

locale-gen

Then create the /etc/locale.conf

# echo LANG=en_US.UTF-8 > /etc/locale.conf

Then export your chosen locale

# export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Than set keymaps.

keymap="us"

rc-update add keymaps default

Than use

Uncomment the selected locale in /etc/locale.gen and generate it with locale-gen

again, I think.

Set time again, this time hopefully not in Oslo.

Time zone

Create a symbolic link /etc/localtime to your subzone file /usr/share/zoneinfo/Zone/SubZone:

# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Zone/SubZone /etc/localtime

Example:

# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Oslo /etc/localtime

If you get ln: failed to create symbolic link ’/etc/localtime’: File exists, then run:

# ln -s -f /usr/share/zoneinfo/Zone/SubZone /etc/localtime

Hardware clock

Set the hardware clock to UTC

# hwclock --systohc --utc

Now setting a root password like this

passwd

and a user to a group. Though is this a user account or root as a user?

gpasswd -a <username> video

I do not know where the user's password will be set at.

Bootloader installation and configuration
GRUB

Finally follow these steps:

pacman may work in Hyperbola 0.4.4 but maybe not.

pacman -S grub

# grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sdX

Here do NOT append a partition number, i.e. /dev/sdaX)

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

To configure the bootloader, you have to install it and generate the file grub.cfg:

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

For BIOS and EFI:

# pacstrap /mnt grub

Install GRUB after chrooting (refer to the Configure the system section).

(refer to the Configure the system section)

This section?

Syslinux

# pacstrap /mnt syslinux

Configure /etc/mkinitcpio.conf as needed (see man-page for mkinitcpio) and create an initial RAM disk with:

# mkinitcpio -p linux-libre-lts

linux-libre-lts is our default kernel since we are a long-term support distro.

If you want to install GRUB for the (U)EFI mode, you will need to make sure that:
        The computer booted in (U)EFI mode (if /sys/firmware/efi exist, then it booted in (U)EFI mode)
        The efivars module is loaded. (modprobe efivars will load it)

Bootloader on external drive

Configure the network again for newly installed environment.

Maybe I need some sort of bootloader that is not somehow on an external drive I need to

you will need to make sure that

or more like

you will need to make sure to do that

or

you will need to do that

Unmount and reboot

If you are still in the chroot environment type exit or press Ctrl+D in order to exit.

# exit

Earlier we mounted the partitions under /mnt. In this step we will unmount them:

# umount -R /mnt

If you have made separate partitions on your system, do this instead:

# umount /mnt/{boot,home,}

Now reboot and then login into the new system.

# reboot

So I will likely need to remember what the names of all the partitions I made, or maybe use lsblk and type each one in at a time.

I do not know how to use umount to search for all things to unmount.

Than

Post-installation

You will now have to create a user and get user privileges like doas. And of course, you will have to install your favourite desktop.

so the other user for that group was not likely a user account.

Configure pacman

Edit /etc/pacman.conf and configure pacman's options, also enabling the repositories you need.
Update the system

At this point you should update your system.

# pacman -Syu

Add an user and groups for privileges

Finally, add a normal user.

# useradd -g users -m -s /bin/bash <username>

You should consider the following groups to be used at start:

# usermod -aG video <username>

# usermod -aG audio <username>

# usermod -aG sys <username>

# usermod -aG storage <username>

# usermod -aG optical <username>

# usermod -aG power <username>

# usermod -aG network <username>

# usermod -aG input <username>

If you want to access for updating:

# usermod -aG wheel <username>

Please remember also that to execute and access installed free, libre games you need another group-membership:

# usermod -aG games <username>

I think I saw a HyperbolaBSD installer on a page also showing

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/is-ever- … ogram.html

I do not remember where that was, but the HyperbolaBSD installer looks like it may be more easy for me to use.

And Hyperbola may only have been using OpenBSD to remove the non-free things.

Like using a magnifying glass with a very (bad handle)/(non-free things) on it, to start a fire to burn the bad handle off of the magnifying glass, so a better (magnifying glass without a bad handle)/(operating system without non-free things) may be made.

I can also look at

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 7482#p7482

where a user called jim typed

Re: Install Full disk encryption (including /boot ) on Libreboot T440P

I understand you. Try installing on a free PC (if you have one) or a virtual machine and test it. I wrote a list of programs that can be installed after launching Hyperbola, you can add to the list if you want. As well as several instructions, users report that it works.

Only practice can answer your questions (my opinion)

1. Install Full disk encryption (including /boot ) on Virtual Machine  https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=933
2. Install Hyperbola (encryption without /boot)Libreboot T440P https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=934
3. Install Hyperbola  (GRUB on the USB) Libreboot T440P https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=937
4. Install Full disk encryption (including /boot ) on Libreboot T440P https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 7478#p7478
5. Recommended programs after installing Hyperbola  https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=943
6. List of desktop software for Milky Way v0.4 and HyperbolaBSD https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=434

Re: Hyperbola 0.4.4 reference installation questions.

Sorry, but this is not going to work like and being honest I do not have any clue how I can start with answering any kind of question with that much of quotes in it and filtering out what you exactly want to ask about. You are also mixing here several layers not working together:

1. HyperbolaBSD never was on any FSF-related site as the FSF has up until now never recognized any BSD-descendant system as "free and libre" or FSDG-compliant.
2. There is no dedicated "HyperbolaBSD"-installer for the moment and sidewise we are not on that point.
3. As announced hyperman (source) is a drop-in replacement for pacman. This means you can and should use the new as the old one. It is done out of two main reasonings: Cutting ties once and for all towards anything "Arch GNU/Linux" related, because Hyperbola is NOT "Arch GNU/Linux" and also NOT "Parabola". Second: Development tie-in for HyperbolaBSD.

To underline also: The reference-installation mentions several times that you should use the commands - for example connecting WiFi - as template and not as it stands there. So you need to replace things like:

wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c <(wpa_passphrase "The_WiFi_name_I_wish_to_connect_to_here" "It's_password_here")

The_WiFi_name_I_wish_to_connect_to_here = The SSID of your WiFi-connection
It's_password_here = The password for your WiFi-connection

Also the way you like to create your partitions is the same: It is your decision to be done, only one possible recommendation on how to use and do. You can also create only one boot-partition with all on it, including your $HOME-folder. But with this be sure: When you want to reinstall you will also remove all of your data in your $HOME.

Yes, the reference-installation is a point of perspective. Cannot be fitting at once for everyone. But also to underline: HyperbolaBSD will not be easier to install. So you can go through and tryout. If you have issues, try again. Experience is the sum of failures and learned information. smile
Aside: Please ask one question at a time so it is possible to explain and solve. You can do that in this thread for example. But I cannot answer this posting above without having big question-marks above my head same as I do not understand the mix you are using and I also do not read many more questions out of as now.

Besides this here ...

Other_Cody wrote:

Like using a magnifying glass with a very (bad handle)/(non-free things) on it, to start a fire to burn the bad handle off of the magnifying glass, so a better (magnifying glass without a bad handle)/(operating system without non-free things) may be made.

Just does not work. You demand indirect that we wait for a free, libre made BSD-like system and make comparisons not working same way. A free, libre system has to start at a point and this is for sure OpenBSD. If you are not okay with this working, please recommend another but also: GNU/Linux-libre and OpenBSD are NOT compliant and it is NOT possible to build a BSD-system out of nothing. Pointing on the FAQ: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … olabsd_faq

HyperbolaBSD is NOT OpenBSD just with removed parts and consists of ...

1. its own kernel (HyperBK)
2. its own libc-implementation (HyperBLibC)
3. its own userspace
4. a dedicated defined init-system (runit)
5. two repositories (core for BSD, extra for the rest)

And just now the compilation of the kernel and the userspace (incluing the libc) works and needs to be tied up into first images. When this is done and working, we work with our first real image (pre-alpha) and construct the rest so we can create the rest now with complete free, libre software. You can't just build out of "void" (nothing). So if this is criticism: I either do not understood the point or you should repeat that point more specific. We are not using OpenBSD to remove non-free things here. We are building a system from scratch! Same as Hyperbola 0.4 also: This is really done from scratch, not just taking OpenBSD and removing some parts of it - if this is the point you thought of. Hyperbola is a free, libre and independent system! Even now it is a hard-fork and will be the same with HyperbolaBSD. We do not just pull some package from "upstream", we evaluate and build it on our own, including our patches to make it work and including also the perspective getting as close as possible towards original Unix-philosophies.

So we just used until now our own pacman-version, rest is complete our own (also that exact pacman-version with our own fixes and enhancements). With version 0.4.5 we are making it official and use our already in development stated hyperman.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Perhaps I need to explain again what a hard fork is: This relation between the words "hard" and "fork" is chosen out of reasoning. Because the result is a complete independent working project. A so-called "soft fork" is a possible renaming with pulling nevertheless from upstream. So the connection between the "soft fork" and the project based on is never removed. Famous examples: elogind being depending from upstream systemd-logind.

HyperbolaBSD with its HyperBK is a "hard fork". HyperbolaBSD has no ties towards OpenBSD. We have done therefore a tremendous amount of work before with auditing the licenses and review of them (thanks to rachad and bUst4gr0 supporting and doing that amount work and engagement).

Also to clear up: We have at the moment two parts and systems.

1. Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre: This is our current independent system-distribution and is meant as transition-helper towards HyperbolaBSD. We have reconstructed that system-distribution from the ground up in 2020 and after with releasing finally 0.4 and beyond to be complete independent. Before Hyperbola followed a comparable approach with reworking packages and using a snapshot from Arch GNU/Linux.
2. HyperbolaBSD: This is our operating-system as complete new and independent BSD-descendant. Meant the same minimalistic and as most possible near to the Unix-philosophy.

Both systems are ...

... independent ...
... free and libre designed and meant ...
... constructed from scratch ...
... using only a base for the initial construction (HyperbolaBSD first OpenBSD, Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre Arch GNU/Linux)

So I hope this clears again up.
Further examples of "hard forks":

(NetBSD before v1.0)
UNIX
↳4.3BSD
↳386BSD
↳NetBSD

(NetBSD since v1.0)
4.4BSD
↳NetBSD

(OpenBSD)
BSD
↳NetBSD
↳OpenBSD

(FreeBSD before v2.0)
UNIX
↳BSD
↳386BSD
↳FreeBSD

(FreeBSD after v2.0)
4.4BSD
↳FreeBSD

All of them reference each other and I have now not included DragonflyBSD:

BSD
↳FreeBSD
↳DragonFly BSD

All of them are in the result hard forks, developed further in their own ways. And HyperbolaBSD is going something like this:

(HyperbolaBSD)
BSD
↳NetBSD
↳OpenBSD
↳HyperbolaBSD

We have cut ties since version 7.0 and developing and porting from there. Making our Hyperbola as Unix-derivate, minimalistic and free, libre.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Sorry, but this is not going to work like and being honest I do not have any clue how I can start with answering any kind of question with that much of quotes in it and filtering out what you exactly want to ask about. You are also mixing here several layers not working together:

Sorry about having many questions in one post.

throgh wrote:

2. There is no dedicated "HyperbolaBSD"-installer for the moment and sidewise we are not on that point.

I thought I saw somewhere on this website a picture of OpenBSD's installer, so I thought Hyperbola may use something like that one also as HyperbolaBSD's installer.

throgh wrote:

3. As announced hyperman (source) is a drop-in replacement for pacman. This means you can and should use the new as the old one.

throgh wrote:

Also the way you like to create your partitions is the same: It is your decision to be done, only one possible recommendation on how to use and do. You can also create only one boot-partition with all on it, including your $HOME-folder. But with this be sure: When you want to reinstall you will also remove all of your data in your $HOME.

At

https://web.archive.org/web/20230810230 … stallation

I saw

Mount the root partition

# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

and later I also saw

Mount the partitions

We now must mount the root partition on /mnt.

So I thought root was mounted twice.

Thank you for this information. I'm mostly used Trisquels graphical installer, so I did not see as many possibilities with the default graphical installer recommendation on Trisquel.

I also did not use Trisquel's command line installer.

Though I do like that the Hyperbola installer shows there are many ways to install Hyperbola.

throgh wrote:

Besides this here ...

Other_Cody wrote:

Just does not work. You demand indirect that we wait for a free, libre made BSD-like system and make comparisons not working same way. A free, libre system has to start at a point and this is for sure OpenBSD. If you are not okay with this working, please recommend another but also: GNU/Linux-libre and OpenBSD are NOT compliant and it is NOT possible to build a BSD-system out of nothing. Pointing on the FAQ: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … olabsd_faq

I was not demanding anything, I was just glad you are making HyperbolaBSD.

I saw Richard Stallman showed in text at
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/is-ever- … ogram.html

I likened it to participating in small ways in some evil activity, such as a criminal gang or a dishonest political campaign, in order to expose it and shut it down.

I just likened it to maybe not "participating in small ways in some evil activity" but instead not trying to use non-free things for a long time to get rid of non-free things.

Though I also see you are making a hard fork, and I did not know what a hard fork was before.

And I see

A free, libre system has to start at a point and this is for sure OpenBSD.

So I'm glad HyperbolaBSD will not have non-free things in it but only libre programs.

throgh wrote:

And just now the compilation of the kernel and the userspace (incluing the libc) works and needs to be tied up into first images. When this is done and working, we work with our first real image (pre-alpha) and construct the rest so we can create the rest now with complete free, libre software. You can't just build out of "void" (nothing).
So if this is criticism: I either do not understood the point or you should repeat that point more specific.

This was not criticism, I just am glad you found a way to make HyperbolaBSD.

I did not know how to do that without using something like Ben Eater's breadboard computer design and maybe using a hexeditor like hexedit to somehow get that working on a breadboard.

I'm very glad you found a faster and likely better way than I thought of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple-As … e_computer

throgh wrote:

We are not using OpenBSD to remove non-free things here. We are building a system from scratch! Same as Hyperbola 0.4 also: This is really done from scratch, not just taking OpenBSD and removing some parts of it - if this is the point you thought of. Hyperbola is a free, libre and independent system! Even now it is a hard-fork and will be the same with HyperbolaBSD. We do not just pull some package from "upstream", we evaluate and build it on our own, including our patches to make it work and including also the perspective getting as close as possible towards original Unix-philosophies.

So we just used until now our own pacman-version, rest is complete our own (also that exact pacman-version with our own fixes and enhancements). With version 0.4.5 we are making it official and use our already in development stated hyperman.

Thank you for explaining what fork types, like hard and soft, are.

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 7623#p7623

I think you answered all my questions.

Question 1 answered.

Pacman on Hyperbola 0.4.4 can still be used like the

page shows

Question 2 answered.

I do not mount root twice. Or boot twice.

Question 3 answered.

arch-chroot is not anything "Arch GNU/Linux" related in the

With a smile: No, you have not demanded anything, Other_Cody. But I must have in mind that not only you ask questions and it is "sometimes" a bit more exhaustive when we two get more participants with more questions while yours are not answered or you have also other points - which is complete okay. About in special arch-install-scripts: We will rework that also. As the new package is hyperbola-install-scripts. Included also a rename for toolsets. wink

arch-chroot -> hyper-chroot
pacstrap -> hyperstrap

For sure: Before release 0.4.5 we will also enhance the installation-guide. And there I would like to invite: If you like, let's go through step by step so your questions and unclear points can be reworked. Taking that as invitation for doing. smile

As questions answere: Topic closed.