Topic: Installation

Hi all i am trying to install Hyperbola and i have issue, i stack here

# pacman-key --init

# mount -o remount,size=100M,noatime /etc/pacman.d/gnupg

# pacman-key --populate hyperbola

# pacman-key --refresh-keys

output is ==> ERROR: A specified local key could not be updated from keyserver

Re: Installation

Please do not use that part of the installation-process. We are at the moment searching for solutions as the keypool-servers (the resulting error-message is exactly the point) were deactivated without anything alternative. So we are looking out to either establish an own keyserver or we remove this point.

If you have interest to support here: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=938

Hyperbola is using since the complete rework in version 0.4 an own keyring, so there is generic no need to refresh anything.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

okaay i will pass it

Thanks for your feedback on that. I have removed that section from the wiki.
Implementing on own keyserver will be the different task therefore as we have also our own pacman / hyperman. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

i just finished my installtion and faced another problem, trying to install kde, pacman -S plasma-meta networkmanager polkit, and i am getting this output // error: target not found: plasma-met, same output for others too

That's intended as we do not suport KDE, Gnome, Xfce, Mate or comparable. If you are searching for a desktop-environment: lumina

Hello h.mkrtchyan , maybe you will find it useful  https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … na_desktop
https://github.com/lumina-desktop/lumina

but i want to use kde, how can i install it, can you help me?

Here you will find what Hyperbola supports https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=434

i3              dynamic         ok      package:i3-wm
dwm             dynamic         ok      package:dwm
wmii            dynamic         ok      package:wmii
spectrwm        dynamic         ok      package:spectrwm
fvwm            dynamic         ok      package:fvwm
icewm           stacking        ok      package:icewm
jwm             stacking        ok      package:jwm
blackbox        stacking        ok      package:blackbox
fluxbox         stacking        ok      package:fluxbox
windowmaker     stacking        ok      package:windowmaker
cwm             stacking        ok      package:xenocara-cwm
twm             stacking        ok      package:xenocara-twm
notion          tiling          ok      not available in v0.3
bspwm           tiling          ok      package:bspwm
wmfs            tiling          ok      not available in v0.3
lumina          compositing     ok      not available in v0.3
xdm             displaymanager  ok      package:xorg-xdm
gtkgreet        displaymanager  ok      not available in v0.3
slim            displaymanager  aw      package:slim
wdm             displaymanager  aw      not available in v0.3
qingy           displaymanager  aw      not available in v0.3

The developer is in matrix, the name of the group is Lumina-Desktop, he is also in telegram, he rarely answers and if he doesn’t like something he doesn’t answer, the community is very small, I would not recommend it (my opinion)

Use a desktop environment where there is a large community to help you.

https://itsfoss.community/t/lumina-desk … nment/9034

h.mkrtchyan wrote:

but i want to use kde, how can i install it, can you help me?

KDE is not possible without elogind at minimum as subordered project from systemd. We do not encourage systemd and also not other parts from bloated Linux-only projects. Sorry, as jim pointed out there are many other possibilities available to create a good looking and minimal running desktop. Perhaps you want to use our fluxbox-extra?

11 (edited by jim 2023-12-03 15:12:17)

If you can’t live without kde)) and you don’t have the opportunity or time to deal with settings, there is an option to install a libre distro that is listed here https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html , for example pureOS and install your favorite KDE => https://tracker.pureos.net/w/pureos/tips/install_kde/

If you are a supporter of Arch Linux, then try this option => https://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2021/12/how- … linux.html

Please let us not link systems not respecting free and libre culture. smile It is okay for the moment, sure.
But all of them alike are not respecting free and libre culture or the freedom of the users in a whole, especially PureOS is a questionable one.

If KDE Plasma is needed: https://distrowatch.com/search.php?osty … ive#simple

I agree with you, this is just an example.

jim wrote:

I agree with you, this is just an example.

Yes, searching for the fitting system. Thanks for the inputs! smile

Encouring also to use the package-search here on the website: https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/
If something is missing, please take into perspective to look elsewhere for. We do not include KDE, Gnome or something from that as all of them are not oriented on self-confident systems in the hands of users.

16 (edited by anthk 2023-12-03 17:29:06)

Lumina Desktop it's QT5 based, it's close to Plasma.
There's a package missing in Hyperbola GNU Linux, qt5-styleplugins. That package
makes qt5 easily themable, either with the Lumina module or with qt5ct in the outside,
allowing you to have the same theme borrowed from the GTK2/3 ones, such as Zukitre,
as we already have a matching theme for Fluxbox.
The GTK2/3 theme it's GPL, you can install it with git, meson/ninja and sassc:

git clone https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes
cd zuki-themes
meson build
doas ninja -C build install

Then by launching lxappearance and qt5ct (or the Lumina control panel for the QT5 theme),
you can set the theme to Zukitre and GTK2 for the QT5 panel one.

Hello Throgh. Please tell me where is the link to the list of programs that can be installed after installing HyperbolaGNU. 
I saw this useful list for the user, but I couldn’t find it quickly, where did they hide it?)))

A list of programs? I don't remember we have something like this.

There is exactly, I don’t remember where, there was such a list of recommended programs. For example, utox for communication, video -mpv, etc.

There is for real no such listing to be found here - I have searched for "utox" as word also.
Something comparable started for a longer time ago: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=305

You won’t believe it, but a few days ago I looked at this page, recommended programs were listed there.

By the way, I wanted to ask why when I click on “Beginners Guide” on the main page

Permission Denied

Sorry, you don't have enough rights to continue.

Are there any restrictions for users?

That guide was removed as we restructure also the wiki for a more easy approach and migration to come. So possible listings are also removed when linking to old, non-existing packages for example. Also some of those guides are no longer active maintained as people have left Hyperbola.

In general there are no restrictions and I believe you for sure. Nevertheless it is better we look close.
So thanks for pointing out: We will remove that link as the "Installation Guide" is enough for people to understand. We do not need a seperate "beginners guide" as Hyperbola is not intended to be installed with just some commands. smile

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Most likely there was this list with recommended programs that I talked about, I find it useful. For example, in this example, when the user asked about KDE, network manager, etc. You can provide a link to recommended programs and the user will immediately understand how to configure his system (my opinion)

It's a shame that people are leaving such a cool project instead of uniting...

If you like we can create another thread and later make it to a complete wiki-article. smile

Do you mean the topic about recommended programs after installing HyperbolaGNU?
I am of course for it smile
I am sure that other users will contribute and write their experience of using the programs.