Topic: How to choose the right driver for a video card?

Hi all. I would like to clarify how to install video drivers correctly.
The wiki  https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … s:xenocara states that to check your video card, we enter the command:

$ lspci | grep -e VGA -e 3D

For example, I have two options: Intel (UHD Graphics) and Nvidia (3D controller), which drivers should I download and how to configure the configuration file correctly?

Intel     xenocara-video-intel
NVIDIA     xorg-video-nouveau

Now I downloaded and configured it for Intel

doas nano /etc/X11/xorg.d/20-intel.conf

but sometimes I have bugs, the screen freezes and I need to reboot the PC. Perhaps I made a mistake in the settings...

Re: How to choose the right driver for a video card?

Generic you do not need to configure anything for Intel-videocards. Also to know more in detail what kind of videoadapters yours are (model, generation). From what you have shown now this seems to be a system using Nvidia Optimus, which is questionable "good" - more bad. The reasoning why I write this: Depending especially on the generation of your graphicscard Nouveau does not even provide any support - therefore the linked feature matrix in the corresponding wiki-article.

Personal I would not use any Nvidia graphicsadapter, because either you have no really good or even no support (depending on the generation as stated). You should look for your BIOS- / UEFI-settings and when possible deactivate the Nvidia-adapter complete just leaving the integrated graphicsadapter working (Intel UHD Graphics).

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

If I delete the settings as you wrote, the screen brightness becomes unadjustable and xbacklight does not work. I don’t have a brightness button on the monitor, it’s impossible without setting it.

On the test PC on which HyperbolaGNU is installed there is a Nvidia [GeForce 930MX] video card installed, yes this is Optimus

I would also like to clarify for myself which video card is best suited for Xenocara or the future HyperbolaBSD.

I'm planning to build my own PC => https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue … orks/undef

Neither AMD nor NVidia are really good for anything: Either they don't support acceleration (without firmware-blobs, AMD) or they have not enough power through implementation of free, libre drivers (not the fault of nouveau that Nvidia is not providing proper documentation and reject help). So in the end: Integrated graphiccards from Intel. Sorry, but that's the honest answer.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by jim 2023-12-14 12:09:45)

Thanks for your answer. What would you recommend for D16? What video card https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue … rks/undef?

As for the T200, T400 and the compromise version T440, I realized that you need to install xenocara-video-intel

I have myself a D16 besides its power-consumption (I would remember that this is for real a midrange-server-system): I have used an Nvidia 770. But I have only used this for terminal as this machine did run virtual machines and services on it. But its power-consumption brought me to the decision to deactivate it again. That's a personal story for sure, so everyone decides different. But energy is critical combined with our environment, so we need to look after it.

7 (edited by jim 2023-12-14 12:37:24)

Thanks for your opinion.

Can you write exactly what high energy consumption means? Regarding what?

If you have correct numbers? How much did D16 consume, how much did you have to pay per month, etc.

As for caring for the environment (if you want to talk about it)), at the moment the biggest problem is not PC users, but companies such as Coca-Cola, Tesla, gas, oil, chemical military companies THIS IS 99.9% of our pollution environment, and PC users all over the world are 0.01% maximum.

But the most important thing in this topic is the human factor; it is not the company that pollutes the planet, but the person or group of people who manages it.

You unplugged your D16 and at that time the tanker spilled thousands of liters of fuel oil into the sea, etc.

But this, as I understand it, is not the topic of this forum)

model name  Nvidia 770
No video cards found...

https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue … mit=Search

jim wrote:

Thanks for your opinion.

Can you write exactly what high energy consumption means? Regarding what?

If you have correct numbers? How much did D16 consume, how much did you have to pay per month, etc.

As for caring for the environment (if you want to talk about it)), at the moment the biggest problem is not PC users, but companies such as Coca-Cola, Tesla, gas, oil, chemical military companies THIS IS 99.9% of our pollution environment, and PC users all over the world are 0.01% maximum.

But the most important thing in this topic is the human factor; it is not the company that pollutes the planet, but the person or group of people who manages it.

You unplugged your D16 and at that time the tanker spilled thousands of liters of fuel oil into the sea, etc.

But this, as I understand it, is not the topic of this forum)

model name  Nvidia 770
No video cards found...

https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue … mit=Search

Please let us not do this kind of argumentation: Meaning to raise some numbers we have heard or read just "somewhere on the internet" and using that for a convinient type of argumentation. Sure you do not mean it exactly that way. smile But to state: It did not mean anything for me what the tankers are doing in relation towards the D16 I had deactivated. It means surely for me what they are all doing, but "Coca Cola" and "Tesla" have also customers using their products, so they do not stand alone. We are all responsible and it is just too easy statng that "others are doing more bad".

So you see that your argumentation is kind single-sided going just in one direction. If I had made you angry or you feel provocated, that was not my intention. But please do not state just some numbers as I know for sure that it is not 0.01% maximum. Or do you not count ASICs for cryptocurrency-mining, streaming, cloud-services- and computing? They are done via PC (per defintion "Personal Computers"), so they all count in and this is not that kind of percentage number you have state. There will be an article coming about why Hyperbola is declining cryptocurrencies and there you can read for example more about some of those topics. And when people are buying literally obsolete hardware (ASICs) being in that moment useless when a new model is there, it is a bunch of e-waste done by intention. And that is surely a big issue, meaning the percentage of 0,01% is not fitting for sure.

Yes, in relation to others named: The number is less. But do we really want to name responsibilities? Then we need to make the same also for our position. That's what Hyperbola is about. So if you want to create a D16-based system I just want to state that you may be frustrated about the Nvidia-component depending for what purpose this computer should be. And it is my responsibility also to share my experiences: For server-implementation? Then I can give you alternatives. For desktop and gaming? Your T440p should be very good for that, including the energy-consumption. As I have said: I have used the D16-system as server (its intention) and terminal only. But the energy-consumption was nevertheless with 550W too high for me when this system should run longer, even 48hours around a week.

The comparison is just: Taking the consumption of a mobile computer running and tower PC or even midrange-server like the D16-boards are for that purpose. Those energy-consumption is way more different besides their noise also. So you should know that for sure. If you want to do that as I have done it also (https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=384), please make your experiences on your own. No problem, but in relation to our current times perhaps it is good to look more close together. smile

And I better add again: I surely care very much about tankers on the oceans and I care also about companies, corporations doing their nonsense around and polluting our environment. But I care also about all the people not caring about this as the named actors before can only do this because they are kept in the position to do that. For me speaking I take therefore conclusions for my responisbilities then when I look out to do something. As that is the only point of language and action. If I can motivate others? Cool. But again: If we use this kind of argumentation you have now used, this does not work.

Mining is a consequence of the currency system. There have always been and will be those who want to buy equipment for 2-5 thousand euros and earn 10 times more. This is not a problem of environmental pollution, but of human morality. If a person has become decent throughout his life, he will not harm his home - our land for the sake of $ profit!

This is basically populism, we often see corporations paying fines for causing damage to nature, but it’s the same as if you earned 100 euros and paid a fine of 5-10 euros for spilling fuel oil into the sea thousands of kilometers away. I’ll give you a simple example - Fokushima or Chernobyl (nuclear stations) who caused damage to our nature? The answer is human stupidity! What percentage is this?
When was a nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima? Who caused terrible damage to people and nature? And there are hundreds of such examples! This is a complex topic and it seems to me that it is not for this forum (my opinion)

Sorry, could you please specify 550W  for what period? Per month ? For example, a kettle consumes 15.9 kW per month on average, and in our apartment (we are not considering a house now) we have a washing machine, refrigerator, microwave oven, vacuum cleaner, etc.
And if someone is renovating their apartment, then as you understand, electricity consumption increases several times or tens of times.

Well, we can surely debate this in forum. But then in another part of it. I would have interest and I bet you have the same as far I can see. But the issue stays as said and you have noted: It is the human ignorance and the opposite our possibility to have empathy for other beings same. So I close into your point of view. But I also guess: We would have need to make it not so complex so others would go in. Proposal: Let's finish first the article in the wiki and then we look again. As far to state: You seem to have same stance as I have on this. wink

About the 550W: This is meant the power-consumption under high loads. The D16 is a midrange-server-board and therefore it is high performance in many ways and possible scenarios. I have used the D16 for virtualization. So you can run surely many virtualized environments on one machine. But when there are database-servers under high load and application-servers doing theirs, web-server included, this gets a bit harsh for energy-consumption. wink

Running a D16-server with Libreboot was too much in perspective of energy-conumption and costs. So I have deactivated that system and migrated all parts on way more smaller systems. https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=143

Yes, we have the same point of view)

I think that the expression human ignorance is a very soft name, especially when it comes to those inhumane acts that I wrote about...

I am sure that all the environmental problems, wars, and destruction on our planet are solely due to humans.

There are different ways to change a person in a good way, for example - love)) Love for your home - the earth, people, animals, for your business - creating a wonderful distribution)) This definitely makes people better)

So let's get back to electricity)) I understood you regarding D16, you needed the server to work constantly under high loads, I have a different task - this is normal home use, but I would still be interested to know the numbers to understand how critical they are.

When you get on standby times you would surely have a different consumption. But beware nevertheless: The selected graphicscard-generation is already having in case also the need to be connected to the power adapter of the computer. Also: You don't have the choice for smaller power adapter. I have tried with 400W and even smaller. The mainboard does not even bootup in those cases. So at minimum you would have the need for 450 or up to 500W. And when all components get under load (gaming and / or rendering load) you will have sure a big consumption.

Ok, thanks for the information

On power consumption, if your card can drive 720p movies, it should be good enough for basic daily usage. 1080p as a graphics artists, maybe.  Also, it's a pity people doesn't know low power services such as Gopher, Gemini, IRC, XMPP... against the power sucking monsters of web based "crapware".  Even propietary software got into this madness. Back in the day a Pentium 3 could watch street view panoramas form Google. Equirectangular panoramas are not magic: My Atom can play these freely with libquicktime and lqtplay from that package. I guess that by using Curl and a custom equirectangular viewer, no propietary software would be needed at all, a propietary software which needs a Core Duo computer to a task, again, a Pentium 2 or a Pentium 3 could do in 2001.  It shoudln't bee too difficult, the most difficult task would be to seek for an sxiv/feh like viewer for these images and a tiny tcl/tk wrapper showing the panorama window inside with a URL box and some TLS calls with tcllib.

Hello Anthk . Thanks for your opinion and information, I agree with you. Therefore, I wrote a post with recommended programs 
<a  href="https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=943">recommended programs</a> , please add there those programs that you consider useful for the HP user, your experience will be useful.

As for me, I installed Hyperbola and am getting server crashes, so I wanted to understand why this is happening. I looked at the logs but there is nothing there...

For example, I use DWM for a test and set the transparency of my terminal (st), one day the terminal works well and has transparency, another day it crashes and the terminal has no transparency. I think this is a driver problem.

How to configure the configuration file correctly?