Re: List of desktop software for Milky Way v0.4 and HyperbolaBSD

dikasp2 wrote:

im also curious about the compabilty of next hyperpacman

can we grasp the old non dbus,consolekit,etc package from old hyperbola and install them in hyperbsd ?

and what about bsd port, can we use it in hyperbsd ?

HyperbolaBSD will use hyperman, a hard-fork of pacman with BSD-compatibility.

Added more entries to the spreadsheet. Proposal to help with the build-scripts whenever needed and I can install 0.4 therefore for first tests.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

28 (edited by rachad 2020-12-20 15:20:34)

throgh wrote:

Added more entries to the spreadsheet. Proposal to help with the build-scripts whenever needed and I can install 0.4 therefore for first tests.

i will do the same and help with testing cause i have so much free time lately and this could make me learn more as well

education software
qucs (quite universal circuit simulator)
gnu octave

file systems?
For transitioning to hyperbsd what will be best file system to use on large external hard drives? For example, if I have a large external hard drive and want to be able to read it from hyperbsd in the future, would it be a good idea to format it as JFS system?

rached wrote:
throgh wrote:

i will do the same and help with testing cause i have so much free time lately and this could make me learn more as well

I recommend you first test with a virtual machine via qemu and reboot after you install, etc.. and then make sure everything is alright before testing 0.4 for real.

Just my two cents...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

I recommend you first test with a virtual machine via qemu and reboot after you install, etc.. and then make sure everything is alright before testing 0.4 for real.

Just my two cents...

its alright im planing on using one hdd just for testing, i would get same results and maybe better if i go on for real just like im gonna use it for my self, install my main packages and many others and look for bugs
i also think it would be great if we started a new post just for testing and fixing pkgbuilds if we can.

rached wrote:
zapper wrote:

Just my two cents...

its alright im planing on using one hdd just for testing, i would get same results and maybe better if i go on for real just like im gonna use it for my self, install my main packages and many others and look for bugs
i alos think it would be great if we started a new post just for testing and fixing pkgbuilds if we can.

Alright, just remember, that laptop will likely have some issues for a while. Due to 0.4 not being finished...

33 (edited by dikasp2 2021-04-01 02:07:21)

im just discovered all video player on hyperbola linux repo are depended with libdbus otherwise they fail to start, makes me wonder the future for hyperbsd.

any solution for nondbus or alternative implementation for video player ?
is bsd already have its own dbus alternative implementation ?

ps: for the user who want to try hyperbsd nodbus feeling but still on hyperbola linux you can try omit all dbus depedencies by:

sudo pacman -Rscn dbus

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf -> uncomment and add dbus to ignore package group

Will they still work with dbus disabled though?

Hmm.. I wonder if this works without any major errors.

35 (edited by throgh 2021-04-01 09:11:08)

Hey, if you want I can share PKGBUILDs for VLC, smplayer and also gtk3 without dbus for Hyperbola 0.3. They can all be used without dbus, but especially smplayer has some trouble. Also Gimp has to be compiled again! When graphicsmagick is used there are problems with Inkscape, again another recompile for the package and application.

This shows how many dependencies towards dbus are implemented in fact, not by Hyperbola itself but generic throughout the projects.

The feeling about "no dbus" is interesting: Also possible here to recompile gtk3 first, afterwards removing dependencies and therefore dbus itself. Not forgetting to ignore the packages afterwards: dbus, libdbus, avahi, pulseaudio. smile Absolutely possible and working, depending on the own workflow.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

36 (edited by dikasp2 2021-04-01 10:18:47)

throgh wrote:

Hey, if you want I can share PKGBUILDs for VLC, smplayer and also gtk3 without dbus for Hyperbola 0.3 ...

if you have free time to do please share nodbus vlc or mvp, would be a good example on how nodbus patch work smile

Okay, will do this in another thread later on. The most "complicated" to do is gtk3 first as many others have in fact options to deactivate dbus or they do this when the pkg-definitions are not found on the system - meaning therefore the basic source-files for libdbus and dbus as reference for usage. Gimp for example is just searching towards dbus, when nothing found the configuration before compilation is ignoring it. Inkscape is doing the same for imagemagick: No libraries found? Well, imagemagick is ignored. Of course: The PKGBUILDs should also be defined NOT to include dbus. So I'll post my solution later for different applications, as always open and free for everyone to make suggestions. smile

thanks

39 (edited by throgh 2021-04-01 12:11:08)

dikasp2 wrote:

thanks

Thank you for bringing up this issue and the need for tryout and building. I think that 0.4 is absolutely possible without dbus. The problems with some major applications stay: Meaning therefore you cannot install k3b or kdenlive for example. I'm searching for alternatives. Found this for k3b with xfburn, but kdenlive is much more complicated until now. But I'm sure: There will be a solution for video-editing also! The upcoming thread will therefore consists of the steps I use and just now installing another Hyperbola-system on a fresh prepared X200 this evening. So even better. big_smile

40 (edited by dikasp2 2021-04-01 12:47:29)

well looks like there is no big worries.

because im so curious im tested it on freebsd,  without dbus enabled mpv works fine and midori gtk3 also works fine.

so there is will be a way i though, alternatively we can look how bsd dealing with dbus.

im noticed there still kind people maintaining some gtk2 apps, we can play on those until nodbus gtk3 finished.

Started with the thread. Will be done step by step for all packages needed! smile