Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

many times i think about adding something to this tread so now that i found a nice article someone shared with me i think it would be verry good to be add here https://freakspot.net/en/no-cellphones/
i hope you enjoy reading it smile

Thank you, rached. smile
I'll read the article and come back onto this today.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Nice article, but I have some annotations: While the author has many valid points the major problem itself is not only the mobile hardware being not completely free. It is also about illusions: Where is the difference to use problematic services on a mobile or any other computing device out there? And there are many with no difference being decentralized or the other way around, proprietary or open. With nothing more to play with any kind of digital self-imagery and the ignorance to discuss both sides, the social and technical parts, there will be no further solution as noted here in the thread. Yes, being believable is being clear towards principles and approach to humanism. The article is therefore more focussed onto the technical part.

Don't get me wrong: Good and valid points. But it is just too easy only to look onto security. There is just more! smile
And speaking about security: You can protect every kind of data on the system, when you share everything about yourself to pretend something on services this won't protect nothing. And there are enough cheap, false promises: The first and best start of a secure approach is to ask what should be shared and what should kept away otherwise. So those mobile devices with telephony capabilities like Pinephone or Librem sounds all interesting, but nothing more and they could always fail with the wrong handling of users, just because of cheap promises and illusions.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

154 (edited by throgh 2021-03-24 19:59:09)

Being believable meaning also being sticked towards principles: As the story of FSF and also FSFE is showing now, both organizations fail within their own principles. Nevertheless having respect towards the GNU-project and the GPL, the mindset behind free soft- and hardware, both organizations fail on multiple levels to recognize social and technical problems these days.

• The social level means the democratic approach, the respect for everyone being equal and having the rights doing so. Richard Stallman anounced being right back at the FSF board of directors? Okay, was this a transparent process? Or is it more about being political in general? And don't get me wrong: I have respect for the things Richard Stallman had done for the free software movement in general. But this kind is really the wrong way. There are enough problems reported neither the FSF nor the FSFE approached. What's next for the FSFE? Well, reading here more: https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210324-01.en.html

• The technical level is even more frustrating: Where is the right NOT to use some kind of package? Speaking about enforced depdencies of bloatware just right ahead of the corner. All of them are part of many distributions in one way or another: dbus, systemd, avahi and pulseaudio are just some examples. More incoming also the programing languages with problematic licensing, the false claims being "in love with open-source". Well, where are those principles?

Where is this kind of free culture? Where is the support for free culture, for free soft- and hardware? Even though: Projects more and more enforce being built right ahead with the newer hardware. So that's also again the social and the technical level both mixed up: I thought once GNU/Linux is a chance to have some kind changed mindset. A chance for the future gettng away from dependencies, having a freedom of choice, being friendly to each other. Was this wrong? Well, my answer would be therefore: No, but it is getting even more complicated and those organizations like the FSF or the FSFE won't help as they don't recognize the problems right ahead. Getting a GNU/Linux-libre is one thing, an important thing. But another one is the plan about having an independent BSD-kernel with strict principles towards a free, libre mindset: Even more important being believable instead of some claims instead of recognizing the problems and being just into the centric view of the own kind of organization. Projects like Hyperbola and Dragora need support for building alternatives, giving back a freedom of choice for all. And not to mention: You have not recognized the problems with PureOS, FSF. Until now the distribution is listed as being compliant towards the FSDG (https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 2534#p2534). Should I go on? Where is the support for the Hurd? Where is the freedom of choice of INIT-systems? Where giving back the emancipation of every user and doing more support for projects like Libreboot or Coreboot? You claim something, FSF? And right away doing something really bad besides giving some recommendations for literally closed hardware like the Librem 5 you're calling back Richard Stallman, who stepped down in 2019? Okay: Strange definitions and you are not able to see the problems with all of this? Freedom of choice? Your choice, okay. And where is the transparency? Oh well, lost in translation, I guess. And I really hope you could recognize the errors within this. Mr. Stallman has done much for freedom within soft- and hardware, but why not doing this further on another level, outside the FSF? Why this move now? And the FSFE? You're playing also in a strange field, just to have look onto the page with the supporters here: https://fsfe.org/donate/thankgnus.en.html

Being independent? Being all into believable? Your decision. But I don't need organizations being not into transparency at all, doing some kind of false claims and compromises. No need to follow some names, more into principles and an open mindset for a colourful, free and libre future! Being honest with you, FSF and FSFE: You have failed at many points within the last years. You have failed to recognize how emancipation in hard- and software is going away, well even within free, libre projects. You have failed to recognize harassment and disgusting meritocratic approaches. And you have failed to recognize growing dependencies from bloatware in general. Just being focussed onto something against closed source you even failed to manage and blame the false claims of "We love open-source!". And there is a high prize to pay for all of this! What now? A big discussion is incoming about the transparency and more people question the FSF itself. Not very helpful for free, libre projects. You have done bad with all of this: Instead giving back emancipation within technologies to the people you are doing more than questionable decisions. But okay: I guess it's more important having some illusions about GNU/Linux (without "libre")? Instead giving support for the Replicant-project there is what alternative? The Librem 5? The Pinephone? Both with desktop-environments being built towards bloatware? And here it goes again: The freedom of choice! And I have not even mentioned people not being that much into technology-stacks or unsure about their own abilities doing more with soft- and hardware. What kind of a mess now and the discussions have not even started so I have to admit in the end: Disappointment from my side for now. Hope all is turning out better, but well? Hyperbola is going on, that's a good point. The bad is the problems right ahead from those decisions mentioned in this posting. Having people just with doubts and prejudices towards free, libre soft- and hardware is not helping. And yes: Those doubts are encouraged from all of this mentioned. Not fair towards projects like Hyperbola and this is part of my disappointment as you have done really bad, FSF.

155 (edited by throgh 2021-03-25 00:41:02)

Encouring humanism, the approach of solidarity and empathy from within. The individualism within collectivism and the collectivism within individualism. Perhaps I won't have any final answer, but that's to know: The belief having no ideal, no ideology is in fact one kind of ideology and also the first failure of many others to follow behind. Why not working towards freedom of choice including respect for each other? Technology was and will always be political. That's for sure is also about being believable as any kind of technology won't happen just about nothing. To follow some names just because people behind those have done something in the past should lead to what exactly? And what about the failures any human being will make in a lifetime? So the conclusion from my point is better to look at problems and draw some consequences, discuss them open and come together for solutions. It's not very helpful to look at some names, at some individuals and making them even bigger. We can learn from problems, but there is need for being honest about own failures and reflect about them. Stopping harassment, stopping hatred, stopping just pure egocentric perspectives. Encouring some kind of radicale humanism as any being has the same rights. Don't hide behind names, some false claims and stick being believable. Not only now for the global situation we are all in, also for a better future. Yeah, I know: Being some kind of utopia, but as also mentioned again within this thread and its history of postings: Some point to start onwards for being believable, seeing yourself and just this in the first place! Afterwards looking on how you treat others, never forget that they are also here in place and not you alone. Perhaps one day we are able to learn, but not today as today we are busy just searching for greed and power. There is no greater plan, no "evil", just some cheap excuses, it's just the own failures, the smaller ones and the bigger ones.

156 (edited by throgh 2021-03-30 15:36:21)

Interesting as people have no further problem using Github for their activities and go on supporting Red Hat while they are also into criticizing the FSF. The question is: Do you recognize the differences in general? While the FSF had done bad and the intransparent last action to callout Richard Stallman again is one thing, you also see that free, libre software is in general more and more weakening? Yes, Mr. Stallman has very problematic views, full with ableism for example (besides that I'm also able to see the details between his personal perspective and the work he had done for technical emancipation). That's one thing, but another is to use a proprietary platform and having Red Hat to join the criticism doesn't make this better. Because of all the last actions, the missing actions from the FSF and the false compromises being done (bloatware like systemd, no support for free choice of components and much more) and also the toxic behaviour on general levels (ableism, trans- and homophobic insults, hatred coming up with meritocratic structures) all of this ends up weakening free, libre soft- and hardware as society just no longer approves this as helpful, nevertheless it is of course. All is replaced with just "open-source" as one kind of false description. Being believable? Or more about being into marketing? Afterwards the technical emancipation of people is going down more and more. Not well done in general and more details coming up about this desaster. Thanks for nothing, FSF! Following just some names is already wrong. Look at the details, the rules, the consequences and being transparent is the absolute relevant base for being believable.

In the end it's not alone about one organization as the FSF or the FSFE: We are all failing as this desaster has more to come. Instead looking at the facts - and yes there is hatred and toxic behaviour - and the technical problems, it is just about some names, having some "Status Quo". It could have be done better as Mr. Stallman could have done his work outside the FSF, without any further problems, without making this intransparent. And now what? Now we have projects being clear with principles, but seen as outsiders. The community about free, libre soft- and hardware is attacking itself. That's the major issue: Not hearing the criticism, unwilling to change anything or help the ones marginalized, unwilling to see empathy and solidarity. You know? There was no further agenda in the past. The FSF made it to this point and now it is used as political point weakening free, libre ideals. Not as big plan, just as it is against often used pragmatism.

157 (edited by throgh 2021-04-04 23:38:58)

To be honest: Freedom of speech is a high value, of course. There is a limitation of that, also: This is not a freedom from responsibility!
If there should be no limit of usage - which is a good one - there must be other possibilities. For now it seems more, that many people only use this high value to let others do the work. What about literally fascists building a platform with free, libre software and spreading false information, propaganda and lies throughout this way? It seems many so-called "activists" within free, libre soft- and hardware don't even care about that. You think further? Being believable means everybody has the same freedom, the same rights. And not only some have the rights to spread hate and harassment throughout the global network-. Think about as certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. And that's a dangerous, dark path. So if we talk about "freedom of speech" we also have to talk about the responsibility incoming with this freedom. Don't just harm others again, read through your own words, use your freedom to fight for the freedom of other beings and inhabitants of planet earth. That's another central point of being believable. The opposite is just to talk about your own freedom as you have the possibility to do so and let others suffer more as they are harassed and harmed even now as I'm writing these lines here. And stop believing those absurdities, which are perhaps not inherently evil but a pragmatic and simplified imagination. A presumption you want to believe in because otherwise there has to be a reflection of your own at some point.

How long do you want to run after some names? Better to start with reflection about that and what can be changed so everybody have same rights and the same freedom.

Being believable is also one thing about power: The larger a system, the larger the power it gives to the people controlling it. The more power one group or individual has, the higher the risk to follow dark paths. It is just one decision being enough and the path to follow. You can see this within the defense about Mr. Stallman. Now that there were decisions within the FSF: What exactly was the benefit of it getting him again on board? People stepped down from their position, but transparency was not done. Why do so many people think only one person have to be above everything? Is the idea of free, libre soft- and hardware itself not strong enough? Empowering and emancipating people for speaking themselves? Deciding what they want to use and how they want software to be built on their own system. Everyone can be just in place for this. Better to have this back in mind: Having humility about the own darker half and reflect yourself often. Do you really think about having some big names to follow? Why don't you follow ideas of empathy and solidarity instead as free, libre culture is also about that? wink

Hierarchies? No one is my superior for the same reason no one is my inferior. If we cannot learn to make things work as equals, how will humanity graduate or even survive for a better future for ALL beings here on the blue planet?

The point about the false assumption to have capitalistic viewpoints within free culture and free, libre soft- / hardware? Well, you can see it here within an actual commit: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … 5b9bcbbc4e

To quote:

As an IBM employee, you are not allowed to use your gmail account to work in any way on VNIC. You are not allowed to use your personal email account as a "hobby". You are an IBM employee 100% of the time. Please remove yourself completely from the maintainers file. I grant you a 1 time exception on contributions to VNIC to make this change.

When we talk about technical emancipation: Where is it?
When companies buy trademarks from free, libre software: Do you really think, they keep it that way? There are many examples where this combination fails. Yes, there is always the possibility to create a fork, when a project is becoming critical. But you see from the commit-message above, how far this can get. Being believable is being stick towards values as empathy and solidarity. Working together and not working just for a "company" and obey everything. The major point to reach? Emancipation for security and privacy within.

throgh wrote:

Encouring humanism, the approach of solidarity and empathy from within. The individualism within collectivism and the collectivism within individualism. Perhaps I won't have any final answer, but that's to know: The belief having no ideal, no ideology is in fact one kind of ideology and also the first failure of many others to follow behind. Why not working towards freedom of choice including respect for each other? Technology was and will always be political. That's for sure is also about being believable as any kind of technology won't happen just about nothing. To follow some names just because people behind those have done something in the past should lead to what exactly? And what about the failures any human being will make in a lifetime? So the conclusion from my point is better to look at problems and draw some consequences, discuss them open and come together for solutions. It's not very helpful to look at some names, at some individuals and making them even bigger. We can learn from problems, but there is need for being honest about own failures and reflect about them. Stopping harassment, stopping hatred, stopping just pure egocentric perspectives. Encouring some kind of radicale humanism as any being has the same rights. Don't hide behind names, some false claims and stick being believable. Not only now for the global situation we are all in, also for a better future. Yeah, I know: Being some kind of utopia, but as also mentioned again within this thread and its history of postings: Some point to start onwards for being believable, seeing yourself and just this in the first place! Afterwards looking on how you treat others, never forget that they are also here in place and not you alone. Perhaps one day we are able to learn, but not today as today we are busy just searching for greed and power. There is no greater plan, no "evil", just some cheap excuses, it's just the own failures, the smaller ones and the bigger ones.

The thing is, its not even just humanism, I have seen many scriptures in my bible such as:  Treat people the way you would like to be treated, do not judge, less you be judged, and Jesus even says to pay your fair share in similar words.

Also be good to people, take care of widows and foreigners and the poor and the sick...

My point is, people abuse religion and Christianity as a whole by cherry picking the parts they like.  This is a huge wrong and leads me to believe humanism isn't even enough.

The best standard, is to treat people the way you want to be treated. That all being said, there are those out there that are beyond tainted and refuse to acknowledge they are too shallow to understand and they are hooked on pride and hatred and other sins...

So yeah, I get what your saying, most of your views are inline here, but the part of humanism is where the problem is...

Humans are inherently evil, no one who belongs to this world is perfect.  Honestly, we need a savior from many things especially capitalism and fascism.  Though balance is also important in general, because even socialism fails by itself.

Appreciate your passionate stance on capitalism though. Too many people worship capitalism...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Thanks for your view on that, zapper.
Well, especially when it comes to humanism or humanistic values all is getting more philosophical. But in general: We are our own problem and solution at the same time. This thread is more meant as part of discussion and also some theories being written down. Everyone can be part of a better future. But is this "better" as wording? Only the individual part? When calling for savior many people forget about the possibility to reflect own flaws at first. This is not meant as criticism, more as thought given.

The point is: What to do when the driven "savior" has own flaws? Yes, no being is absolutely perfect. But I don't think there is any need to be that. It is just to reflect the views, just talking about them in the first place. Is socialism kind of a solution? It is part of a discussion, but exactly this is most time negated by many. And perhaps this is even understandable for a start: The fear to loose perhaps a safe space? The position within community? Nothing is so much frightening for us humans as to loose all known paradigm. But why do we fear loosing when we even deny to talk about privileges? To recognize that we have privileges and to share them was another chance in the past and is one for the time to come. In general I don't think about humans being inherently evil and like to use another wording here: We humans are inherently ignorant and arrogant. Why do we think being the most important beings here on earth? And why are we not able to talk about us as humanity in a whole? When just one individual is harmed, we harm everyone the same. And we treat all beings not very good in these days. But is a "savior" really helping? I would say: Not really. More to reflect about all the flaws. This is task for a lifetime, so this is not meant to be done by only one individual for sure. It is a task to do anytime possible and never to forget about our ignorance: Everyone is using it, more or less. In the end this thread won't really end as it is a collection of ideas, meant as an invitation for everyone reading. When just one thought is given and taken further, this is good point to start. A good for hope in some way: There will be ever hope and never giving up! wink

And yes: From the mentioned ignorance evil consequences arise for sure at one point. But I don't tend to call for a "savioŕ" as I want to be made responsible for my deeds and words, discussing the thoughts. Therefore I was called many harsh insults in the past, but that's not a problem as I hope people start to reflect and therefore hope some good thoughts can be given from all the notes and annotations within here. But humanism is absolutely independent from concepts like "religion". smile I don't think we need to discuss especially that, because many people tend to build their own paradigm onto that, just to externalize their own responsibility and somebody made them doing something. In the end that's not so good: Man was never enough for himself, but we should change that to begin with being believable. Humans made other suffering, humans helped others ending the suffering. The deeds are written down, history is for learning and capitalism is not the system we should take for the future. We humans need a story, but we can discuss the story and see the injustices. So that most cruel deeds from history will ever stay as warning for us, not to forget all the victims and start for the better, literally. Ending wars, ending hunger and greed! Not making only symbols counting and stopping to have excuses not to help or being cruel to other beings - we as individuals are always accountable for our words and deeds.

I think some more information is needed to talk about projections and why this word with inbound actions is so important these days. But what in fact is a "projection"? A tryout with a more simple explanation: The definition of the wording itself is more or less some kind of defense mechanism. An individual is fighting against unconscious impulses or qualities and is therefore denying their existence in themselves and attributing them to others. You want an example? Instead of discussing about privileges (mentioned in the posting above) many people tend to project others being intentional malicious. In this part many hateful context is used, many hatred is reflected and a mountain full with unbelievable cruelty is built - even while I'm writing this words here. So what is the reasoning for all of this? In the first place stopping the discussions, stopping questioning privileges and in the first end doing the reverse of humanism. You can find this within many arguments and talks these days: Full with ignorance and arrogance. But in fact the people using projections underestimate the aftermath resulting from their actions.

When using conspiration idolologies, trying to defame humanism in a whole and just throw unbelievable hatred at people trying to do something different, with no further ulterior motives, what do you think is staying afterwards? For sure the hatred itself. And inbound with ignorance hatred is growing. But there are possibilities to act against this mechanism: First to recognize ignorance and arrogance on the own side, trying always to reflect (and yes: this also means I have to reflect what I am writing here) and also a ruleset. The one for Hyperbola is to be find here: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … l_contract

To quote:

(..) Do not under any circumstances attack, bully, stalk, or harass any individual (the personal turn) or a certain group. Play the ball, not the man. (..)

We have all possibilities to stop hatred, stop projections as cheap and wrong kind of discussion - in fact only some monologue as the ending is absolutely desastrous. We just have to use them: Try to reflect for being believable. wink
The reasoning for me to write this here and now? Well, just looking into open and official discussions at many anti-social platforms. For me there is no further difference between proprietary and open platforms like Mastodon. In the end projections are used and dogwhistle is the next step on that. When questioned people use credible denial: There was some kind of "misunderstanding", they have never wanted to do such thing ... hatred stays and defaming also. Don't use such mechanisms!

throgh wrote:

Thanks for your view on that, zapper.
Well, especially when it comes to humanism or humanistic values all is getting more philosophical. But in general: We are our own problem and solution at the same time. This thread is more meant as part of discussion and also some theories being written down. Everyone can be part of a better future. But is this "better" as wording? Only the individual part? When calling for savior many people forget about the possibility to reflect own flaws at first. This is not meant as criticism, more as thought given.

The point is: What to do when the driven "savior" has own flaws? Yes, no being is absolutely perfect. But I don't think there is any need to be that. It is just to reflect the views, just talking about them in the first place. Is socialism kind of a solution? It is part of a discussion, but exactly this is most time negated by many. And perhaps this is even understandable for a start: The fear to loose perhaps a safe space? The position within community? Nothing is so much frightening for us humans as to loose all known paradigm. But why do we fear loosing when we even deny to talk about privileges? To recognize that we have privileges and to share them was another chance in the past and is one for the time to come. In general I don't think about humans being inherently evil and like to use another wording here: We humans are inherently ignorant and arrogant. Why do we think being the most important beings here on earth? And why are we not able to talk about us as humanity in a whole? When just one individual is harmed, we harm everyone the same. And we treat all beings not very good in these days. But is a "savior" really helping? I would say: Not really. More to reflect about all the flaws. This is task for a lifetime, so this is not meant to be done by only one individual for sure. It is a task to do anytime possible and never to forget about our ignorance: Everyone is using it, more or less. In the end this thread won't really end as it is a collection of ideas, meant as an invitation for everyone reading. When just one thought is given and taken further, this is good point to start. A good for hope in some way: There will be ever hope and never giving up! wink

And yes: From the mentioned ignorance evil consequences arise for sure at one point. But I don't tend to call for a "savioŕ" as I want to be made responsible for my deeds and words, discussing the thoughts. Therefore I was called many harsh insults in the past, but that's not a problem as I hope people start to reflect and therefore hope some good thoughts can be given from all the notes and annotations within here. But humanism is absolutely independent from concepts like "religion". smile I don't think we need to discuss especially that, because many people tend to build their own paradigm onto that, just to externalize their own responsibility and somebody made them doing something. In the end that's not so good: Man was never enough for himself, but we should change that to begin with being believable. Humans made other suffering, humans helped others ending the suffering. The deeds are written down, history is for learning and capitalism is not the system we should take for the future. We humans need a story, but we can discuss the story and see the injustices. So that most cruel deeds from history will ever stay as warning for us, not to forget all the victims and start for the better, literally. Ending wars, ending hunger and greed! Not making only symbols counting and stopping to have excuses not to help or being cruel to other beings - we as individuals are always accountable for our words and deeds.

By inherently evil, I meant we are bent towards evil more easily then good.

As for anything else, the endless wars, etc...

There is an interesting anime I saw once which depicts how hatred and endless wars are very hard to stop, how arrogance is tough to stop in some people, and how people get messed up really bad...

I wonder if you have seen it...

Naruto Shippuden is what it is called.  It deals with how its really, hard if not near impossible to deal with many of the issues you mention.

I brought that up, in case you have never heard of it, regardless of some things in the show, being different then some beliefs I have, its interesting...

That being said, I brought up the other point, because it seems canon to a lot of people to blame everything on religion or Christianity, when in reality, humans just don't like it when they don't get their way, get hurt or are arrogant, etc... Extremism is the main problem though imo. .
When we force our views down peoples throats and it breaks peoples actual freedom, that is evil...

Another thanks for the named animation-work. I can also add some further sources for taking notes: First it would be the classic Akira as it demonstrates very good the pure arrogance of humans in general - I'd call it that way as pure evil is not very easy to recognize and the way is full with different perspectives.  But for the people don't knowing the movie I've just mentioned: It is a very classic one and would be easy to find on different media. A dark perspective of the future as the ignorance of humans has brought up a catastrophic scenario once. A being got loose without no further control in destruction and many years after government had no further choice but to fight the being with the desastrous atombomb it looks like people have forgotten and Akira is again to rise. But the story is way more complex (sidenote: also the being "Akira" is not "evil" within definition and a victim of the human arrogance): It is about corruption, it is about hope and being good or evil is not that easy to see. And of course: I can also recommend the manga the movie is based on, describing the scenario even more in the depth. The author Katsuhiro Otomo has also directed another movie with the name Steamboy: Also again inbound here is the characterization of the human ignorance and arrogance, but from another perspective and scenario.

I could add way more movies, series and books, but in the end: Extremism is not so easy to recognize within these days. When somebody asks I'd like to say for the first start stop using the most so-called "modern way of communication", meaning no anti-social platforms as they just work with attention. Of course there are information and news going around everyone should know. But platforms like Twitter, Mastodon, Facebook, Diaspora and many more just don't work with reading and reasonable discussion or better: Not working on this way any longer. Instead of recognizing complex situations people just tend to go even further with more simplified scenarios. And instead of having a clear reflection all is about getting attention, creating so-called "groups" and much more within there. But all is about filter bubbles getting more and more impervious for facts, for reasonable information and clear reflection throughout all those platforms. Nothing good is on the rise with this as it fits exactly: Enforcing views and breaking a possibility for the retrospective. Even though many are completely unreachable with reasonable points and arguments. So I think this here is one good example we are doing here right now: Discussing and having a talk with different perspectives. But this seems also lost in some kind of oblivion as modernized communication is not working that way? Just with nice pictures and imagery.

Don't get me wrong: I will never enforce anything on others. If people like to talk with each other on that named platforms, they are always free to decide. But I just characterize how much our communication has changed within the years and not so many is left. Stop using filter bubbles, dear reader. You don't have to share anything from my perspective here, but seriously: Complex scenarios cannot be reduced and we have many to do within the upcoming time. A drawback for digital and technical emancipation is on the rise. And many projects are not clear in principles, instead using simplified scenarios. So all is connected in many ways! wink

You think RISC-V is the future platform for free and libre hardware? Well, think again. For sure there are many reasons the architecture has its own positive aspects. But you know people producing boards and complete systems in their private room? And when news are released about giving aways boards to developers from RISC-V International like here, what is the next step? Just accepting and repeating the question: Where would we be without the companies?

Looking just here for the members: https://riscv.org/members/
You think organizations and companies giving away boards for "free"? Just for technical and digital emancipation? Well, the same is done with so-called licensing for students. For example Autodesk or Adobe did this and it is just fitting. People get knowledge just about the named software and the workflow between projects from the same company. You name it standardization and there are many around. This doesn't mean everything is just simple "evil" or to be rejected. It is about being critical towards such moves. Don't think those boards are just presents of good will. It is just quite and simple marketing, getting interests working. In the end those boards maybe free and libre running with software. But just stay critical: They are not the reasoning for emancipation, having a possibility for all people to access technical equipment and access for their own data. It is the opposite and more of the same known paradigm! Happy to buy new boards, good for climate and environment or better meant this more sarcastic. Those boards won't stay that long as it is on-going progress. So what to do with them when next generations are coming? Just asking as most members from RISC-V International have not shown that much solutions for exactly that point. You think I'm just on the "wrong way"? Well, maybe ... I even hope so that this is just nothing and I'm not correct with my assumptions. But okay: Raspberry Pi A and B, Raspberry Pi 2 A and B, the model 3, a model 4 and many more. Only a correlation, not a connection for sure. Just the assumption as we all should know how hardware is working in our "modern times". tongue And yes: You can do many with the actual boards from Raspberry Pi, for sure. But what about the older ones? What about the systems and the software? In times where support for 32bit is marked as "unneeded" more and more. You think those companies will respect this? You think the different projects respect that on their way "forward"? As I've said: Think again. Seems so that not many people have interests combining hardware with being friendly with climate and environment, also not with being safe for now and the future and I don't mean just the security. So better to have your repositories and packages safe on your local network!

And for the general part: You can think of the greatest future concepts here. Cities without cars, cars without fuel, electricity friendly produced without any emission ... this would have been possible for decades, but not in capitalism. What do we learn from it? Nothing, right? So why should I ask myself again if those new boards are produced with the environment back in mind? I'll better stay with x86-boards. They are for sure not "new" and "polished", but their damage was done already as they were bought once long before I've got them.

And being believable is also always about having a choice: The newest addition? The upcoming version 4 for VLC to integrate even more content from the internet (https://linuxiac.com/vlc-4-0-coming-thi … signed-ui/). Okay, where is the choice? Not to use WebAssembly and JavaScript, for example? There was once a time where all those JavaScript-additions seen critical. Time is over, I guess? But instead of reflecting about that the way goes on and applications getting even more combined with accessing content throughout the global network for 24 hours a day being available. Thinking about the risks to implement such? Well, not so much. Sooner or later there will be the need for a decision. Competing on this neverending course of implementing "features" without questioning or just stopping and optimizing or even though ending as the system just works.

Sorry to be here even more clear about that, dear readers: But where do you want to stop? This is going into a neverending circle hunt for even more. More of what? Better interface, more possibilities, more of whatever. Why not having a software stopping and project is doing the best for having bugs fixed and possible risks for the security and privacy being closed / resolved? Do you get the problem, all users outside for the way of "updates"? The newer the better? And then what to follow? Another update will follow the last one. The system is getting even more complex with more features and interface towards outside in every application. Do you have time to research every possible hole an application is doing? You think the project will manage that from within? And what if people have no interest to search for risks, better to have more features implemented? Projects like Hyperbola will have more work when questionable decisions are made upstream. Removing them is not that easy and sooner or later even impossible - I see you, Gnome and KDE.

Oh and please: Proprietary software is not better. Just because you are not able to see into the code doesn't make the security-risks vanish completely. It is just that you have no further knowledge about them. But is there any need to copy the ever growing circle for "features"? To create a secure operating-system, which is free and libre from the ground to help people getting their data managed local with option to do otherwise. Not the complete opposite! hmm

167 (edited by zapper 2021-05-11 18:42:44)

throgh wrote:

You think RISC-V is the future platform for free and libre hardware? Well, think again. For sure there are many reasons the architecture has its own positive aspects. But you know people producing boards and complete systems in their private room? And when news are released about giving aways boards to developers from RISC-V International like here, what is the next step? Just accepting and repeating the question: Where would we be without the companies?

Looking just here for the members: https://riscv.org/members/
You think organizations and companies giving away boards for "free"? Just for technical and digital emancipation? Well, the same is done with so-called licensing for students. For example Autodesk or Adobe did this and it is just fitting. People get knowledge just about the named software and the workflow between projects from the same company. You name it standardization and there are many around. This doesn't mean everything is just simple "evil" or to be rejected. It is about being critical towards such moves. Don't think those boards are just presents of good will. It is just quite and simple marketing, getting interests working. In the end those boards maybe free and libre running with software. But just stay critical: They are not the reasoning for emancipation, having a possibility for all people to access technical equipment and access for their own data. It is the opposite and more of the same known paradigm! Happy to buy new boards, good for climate and environment or better meant this more sarcastic. Those boards won't stay that long as it is on-going progress. So what to do with them when next generations are coming? Just asking as most members from RISC-V International have not shown that much solutions for exactly that point. You think I'm just on the "wrong way"? Well, maybe ... I even hope so that this is just nothing and I'm not correct with my assumptions. But okay: Raspberry Pi A and B, Raspberry Pi 2 A and B, the model 3, a model 4 and many more. Only a correlation, not a connection for sure. Just the assumption as we all should know how hardware is working in our "modern times". tongue And yes: You can do many with the actual boards from Raspberry Pi, for sure. But what about the older ones? What about the systems and the software? In times where support for 32bit is marked as "unneeded" more and more. You think those companies will respect this? You think the different projects respect that on their way "forward"? As I've said: Think again. Seems so that not many people have interests combining hardware with being friendly with climate and environment, also not with being safe for now and the future and I don't mean just the security. So better to have your repositories and packages safe on your local network!

And for the general part: You can think of the greatest future concepts here. Cities without cars, cars without fuel, electricity friendly produced without any emission ... this would have been possible for decades, but not in capitalism. What do we learn from it? Nothing, right? So why should I ask myself again if those new boards are produced with the environment back in mind? I'll better stay with x86-boards. They are for sure not "new" and "polished", but their damage was done already as they were bought once long before I've got them.

Mnt Reform is the only alternative, and until it uses a raspberry pi 4 processor, most people won't have interest. heh.

Unless they plan to use it for unimportant tasks such as writing stuff or audio playing or other small tasks.

That all being said, they plan to make a 5 inch pocket version of the mnt reform in the future which I will definitely be wanting as long as it isn't past 600$.

Need to replace my mp3 player at some point, they just break too easily... hmm

Indeed companies are needed, but laws to prevent them from scaling way beyond reasonable bounds is also important.

This is even more true for corporations.

Btw, on an unrelated note, look up the story behind Pain, Obito and Madara from Naruto Shippuden, they have some really dark backstories, and they loco to the max, but they mostly not evil... just gullible and easily misled. Though they did do bad things, but they were deceived.

There is however a char in the story who is pure evil. tongue

Just a side note. smile

Heard and read about MNT Reform. Interesting for a smaller device. In general I think about the model having enough people coming together to form something like an interest-group for free, libre hardware. But that would be like an utopia. Dreaming is not forbidden: Breaking the capitalistic system as we are all into it and there is no big plan behind, just the allday ignorance. Not meant especially towards somebody, just the frustrating status quo in some parts. But hey: Trying to change something for the own and doing the other way around is a good startup. smile

Companies and corporations are not evil, but it is way too easy to forget why there is something like money and we humans tend to want have just "more" when loosing all boundaries and our darker half is winning. That said: Thanks for "Naruto Shippuden", zapper. I'll definitely keep an eye on that. There are so many possible dystopian stories also, I'd even know where to start listing them. But perhaps this would be more fitting within another format and thread. Not exactly here keeping the topic! Not meant as criticism, just an own remember for myself not beginning to list with literature and audiovisual contents here. Keep an eye out, you all interested. Discussions are not bad and they can last so many postings, so many different variants. Learning together is also part of all.

Being believable implies using clear words and descriptions: Stop using defamations and phrases within those categories. There is no "surveillance capitalism" as this is a clear aspect of the systematic approach of capitalism itself. Stop describing companies like Twitter or Facebook with some phrases like "data kraken". There are enough possibilities for describing the concurrent situation. No need for new words, insults and even more problematic words full with prejudices. You want to stop surveillance? Do it, help others and stop with fake arguing by using even more bogus-words like the examples already given. There is no new kind of capitalism getting into perspective with the wording "surveillance capitalism" or do you think collecting data is just coming up with the global network? Think of phone-calls, done also in the past. Think of marketing campaigns in general. Think about memberships with false promises when you collect some "bonus-points". That's nothing new, it is just multiplied. You want to act against it? Protect privacy and security? For sure, but no need for defamations and harsh descriptions. Just act clear and strict, nothing more and nothing less. There is no big, evil plan behind, no group with any masterplan or something else. The easiest point for description: Our own ignorance, thinking for doing the best and instead ending with the worst.

Besides that I also add here: What some humans have done throughout Twitter and those so-called microblogging platforms to the communication cannot be more serious described as damage. Since the beginning until now everything is shortened more and more, described as "useful". No, that's NOT useful. It is pure toxic harassment, hatred and more devastating reactions to read. Nothing good, just pure anti-social platforms - Mastodon and others included. Those bogus-words came up from such shortened descriptions and comments. It would be too easy just to make the platforms itself responsible, but in fact ... that's a problem for all of us and human ignorance has brought us to this point where unbelievable hatred is spread just with some clicks and people think this is valid in any form. We all can stop, we should, we have to!

How far has the "global network" also known under the phrase "Internet" eroded social interaction? Just to summarize that point into a common sentence for the beginning: This process has gotten very far as you don't have any so-called profile you seem not even to exist anymore. But to get more into details:

• Profiles: In general a definition of some interactions within any kind of service. So you write some postings like this here, or you share pictures and moments. But the question is: Valid information and thoughts? Hard words, I know and I don't want to declare any information as invalid. But just look how far everything has gotten: People just literally buy numbers with money, some ghosting-profiles on services to get the impression being more kind of "famous" and "important". So you think it is valid to share photos of you and your beloved? That's for sure your own decision, but the other side is not so bright when it comes to others making a joke about you. Are you ready to become some kind of "meme"-picture within some harassment-campaign? Or do you think YouTube, Twitter and Facebook (as many others) have valid discussions?

• Information: The next part are the information you share. Photos? Names? And what about next to come when others have so much interest into you as individual person, they tend trying to use a process called "social engineering" onto you? This can go so far as people try to ask about personal information. The more information people have about you, the more a profile is becoming valuable for any use-case and there are many.

Profiles are done on many ways, filled with more or less information. But if you think people only exist when they have some "profile" here in the global network, showing their face, some photos from everyday-life, think again. Pictures could not be the original ones, showing other persons or even individuals and beings not existing. Yes, for now there are some ways to have those profile-photos identified. But the technology behind is getting better with every step and what next? Being believable is NOT about just having some "profile". It is about standing for values, for principles. If you can bear out harassment coming, you can choose to do it your way but respect the way of others also. Being in contact with individuals is not a problem, but the expectations are for sure a big issue. Just have a look onto all those people being into "influencing"-scenarios: You think they are doing this for the better? Okay, think again. You think those people are honest? Well, in a world where capitalism rules you can buy people telling you everything and every illusion. That does not mean all of them are just "evil", just to get even this prejudice away before anyone has the impression. Just the known paradigm about ignorance and arrogance. One little lie is not so bad? Yes, maybe. But how many lies can we use? And how many lies do we need to think being into a "circle of trust"? Life is not in the "Internet", that is a toolset and it should kept that way. Interacting with people is so much more. You think I don't exist because you cannot find me as a person on any kind of blog or anti-social platform? Okay, than I don't exist, but that is just too easy. Why do you want to decide for me what I have to tell you? As that's the right of any being. Interaction can also just be some chat, when the person just want this. Keep hold of getting more into the eroding of social interaction as this is done for real, not with some masquerade on any profiles, which is mostly done on anti-social platforms these days. Life does not fit into drawers. wink
The universe is so big, perhaps I know about some 0,001% (just a random number as small as possible). Perhaps I know that I don't know about 5% or even 10%? So you can imagine the percentage I don't know that I don't know is even bigger. Don't shorten information with some profiles, but be also attentive as hatred is nothing to play with the same time. But that's another point for more to come and post. The "Internet" as wording is also some shortened part as there is much more. Most the time services are also toolsets, but literally their usage is tempting to shorten information more and more, so it seems to become even deterministic. You could define the computer? Fine than you could also ... explain a global pandemic ... solve conflicts ... prevent the climate-crisis ... I think you've got the point: No you cannot do all of this just because you have read many or know many situations and information, can express yourself in an elected way. And no all others are also not uneducated, just you think to have discovered some relevant "secret" someone seems to hide. Think again, think about being believable as this is not easy for sure but it is also not declared onto ultimate "truths".

You think ultimate freedom is without any kind of responsibility? Okay, you have really nothing learned for sure. That's kind of a bitter and sweet conclusion about all the events of the last twenty years. Is privacy and security automatically kind of freedom? Yes, absolutely. But it is exactly NOTHING when you don't take your own responsibility and know about it the same time. Freedom of speech is the same: That's nothing you should take when you think you can say everything without having consequences. You don't want any "code of conduct" for a group? The same thing. Take your OWN responsibility serious, because as you have the same right having secrets you should also do no harm to others by insulting or harassing them. Learning from history: First came the words, afterwards the deeds. And being believable is the same thing: Yes, you have the right for privacy and security, but nevertheless there is no such thing like "ultimate security" (that's an illusion) you can use your knowledge to protect others. Not with the search of ULTIMATE "truths" but with helping not to get into obvious traps digital communication and data can have for sure. You can be believable not to follow some crude theories and take responsibility about your words. Making mistakes? Okay, but learning from them. And it is no mistake being empathetic with all other beings, all earthlings.

You think about the future? Okay, think about this: Our human brain cannot bear temperatures higher than exactly 42,6 centigrade. That's a natural border and on that point there is nothing to discuss as the protein in the cells begins to literally gang. So why do we think that we can define solutions for the climate without working together on this world? We have only this one. And why do we think that we have to jump on having better hardware-components on any regular base? There we have one major point, but so-called "desktop-environments" just throw this over more and more, getting even higher requirements with hardware acceleration and many more features. Is this needed? Videos with even higher resolutions? And of course: Everyone needs streaming-services, software as a service and some cloud in the backhand. Ask yourself: That's the future? Going faster and faster, without even asking for consequences? The focus on economy is nothing more than a big illusion.

And we don't start really to discuss possible solutions: Most the time enough people seem to be busy just rejecting everything. Yes, there are ways to go and that without having lost of technical emancipation for everyone, being not into some false trust. In the end we only focus about final judgements for "real" instead to see: We ALL are about 99,9% the same when speaking about humanity in common. And from those judgements hatred arise, they are the base for so cruel deeds. That should make us all afraid, but well? In the end it is just a wish for better tomorrow and us humans to learn. Perhaps one day? But until then: Being 99,9% same includes also absolute responsibility as hatred is never any base. Yes, emotions are part of us all for sure. But just to accept hatred and harassment is the same as the global society just sit anywhere while ignoring a nearby attack instead of helping and even preventing. There is no time and place for ignorance, dear readers.

Being believable is also about learning from history: Please don't start believing simplified pictures off some "evil plans" in the background. Have you just looked in history what happened in the past when demagogy is used as "explanation"? Long story short: No, that is never any kind of "explanation" and just the start of darkest movements to come. First we humans are fast then to find some culprit, any individuals or groups. And then? How can I discuss with a mob ready in front of my door to tell that I'm not guilty about what they want me to be? But you see many of this in all these days, which is remembering to the darkest sides we humans are capable to do. So there is for sure a pandemic and for sure it is not easy for all of us. The rulesets we got? The opposite of perfect, but one thing is to find any kind of political way, which is ... well, let's say not very positive as there are enough hatred and prejudices ... but another thing is to work together on the smallest part you can imagine. One on one!

You can imagine whatever you want, but the sentence is more than ever important: Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices! And so I also speak out these warnings, better to be believable and reflect. As all is complex and full with contradictions. But you know what? The universe itself has its normality in chaos. So to help each other understanding that and help to get the literal chaos managed.

Dear friend this plandemic from your perspective is for sure a pandemic, but for me and others who share my view its a verry evil plot enforcing many agendas, we all have researched somehow to stick somewere and accept something and there for we should all help each others as you said to live, and manage to go through whatever mess we are dealing with, the chaos that the media and those who rule by words have put us in, as always history is writen by those who have power or the narrator's position in the description of events (his or her perspective), were we stand now we can only be sure of our respective ideas, and help each others of cource in many possible ways.

It is not only mine perspective alone. I can follow common sense or do the opposite. Perhaps I don't even do that and something else? But the point is: We are coming to a point where people going to do very, very, very dark things and I'm not talking about some strange whatever evil plans. The "global network" is so full with strangest theories, I can find any kind of answer for whatever. Is it true? No, especially not when this is coming from "some person on any blog". But I propose please not to use wordings like "plandemic" or "agenda". And I also need no further article here for any kind of approval of any plan. The point I'm onto is simple: The situation is way complex, but in this situations any kind of overreacting brings us nearer to dark solutions. Perhaps people uses the situation for their own advantages? For sure some of us doing that right now, but the simple answer is for their own arrogance and ignorance. The dark point I'm writing about is just to come when a majority is reached to just think something is behind the curtain - surprise: there will be nothing more - but simple lies are doing better these days than complex facts. I'm writing these lines here, because what I see on the lovely blue planet is nothing more than more hatred and the pain to see so much injustice. Not planned, but part of the common thought and instead breaking a line as we have always a chance doing this there are so many searching for simple answers or believe for any kind of person in the "global network" telling some kind of gruesome fairytale. The problem is: Those tales are going to be for sure then reality, but not because it was a plan ... just because a self-fulling prophecy about our own ignorance.

And I mean it: Please no links for any kind of approval as this point is just focussed about the historic event itself used for injustice. There was a chance for sharing and helping, it is right ahead now and will be always there. It's up to everyone to question if this systematic approach - meaning one kind capitalism and more - is correct or could be done better. It's up to everyone to question if the search for fame is better because as I've said: The "internet" is full with nonsense only focussed at this point. So much information, but just to make some exaggerated estimate: 30% of the content is just gruesome hatred, 40% is fame and (self)-marketing, 20% are just some strange information or simple called lies, which leads towards 10% facts. I know those numbers are for sure not correct and just my own perspective right now, but what I read and see everyday is more of the 90% non-information, most about some person in the "internet" is telling what-so-ever. wink Perhaps I am even just too grateful with my own estimation in the end? But I just hope there are some enough facts, okay there are for sure, but to get towards them you either know directly university-sites and scientific articles or you have to grab yourself through endless 90% rest or even more. But it is worth to fight for a better future, even with only 1% facts left as those (anti-)social platforms seem to grab more attention as they are worth.

And with my own proposal NOT to use such slurs like "plandemic" I'll leave this area also again as the event itself is another point for history. I could have even used other words for the "global network" as I'm not that convinced about this idea. Seemed once as cool to unite everyone on the world in communication, but this is just not possible in the concurrent state and releasing this into a paradigm oriented on maximize profits and greed was no good idea in the end. In combination with human ignorance and arrogance the desaster is near perfect: Hunger, suffering and death is the result, for real. That's all about and people are going on each other just they've been told this or that, people trying to sort facts and try to inform are threatened (journalists have not a high standing for some, that's absolute disgusting when journalists are threatened just as they try sorting out or searching) and fascists are on the rise worldwide, literally (just to point out on the last hearings about the events on January 6th 2021 in the US and people STILL BELIEVE there was nothing when police officers telling the opposite and crying as they were hurt in the events, same disgust to see and hear that as people reject the pain caused instead being empathic, seems more or less a common issue also as empathy is seen more and more as some kind of weakness, but that's another posting later). Not the greatest point from my point of view and the "Internet" is playing a central role here, but fighting for what? For some lies in blogs? Ah, not for me then. smile Fight for "free soft- and hardware" but only with ONE person in the background? As I've written before: The idea of libre, free soft- and hardware can only be strong when shared independent not only in personifications. But people fighting around about undemocratic choices, well? Their choice to do. What else? Think that was the state of mind so far, but for real in a grade about respect, dignity, humanistic values, liberty and security: FAILED humans, please try again. I don't want to come for a point were I literally just pull myself out of this "global network" and just try to do the best I can without it. For now I can only warn as I see chances, but even more dangers with so much injustice. It is disgusting in these days, so better to focus, doing better for the own position, trying to help but for the rest? Keep it away and out. No fame needed as it is coming with lies and self-denial: No power for nobody!

And for the "fans" of the so-called "absolute tolerance" (meaning: hatred is just some other feeling as every other feeling and therefore ignoring what damage hatred can cause) I have some quote from the book "Critique of pure tolerance":

Indiscriminate tolerance is justified in harmless debates, in entertainment,
in academic discussion; it is indispensable
in the scientific enterprise, in private religion. But society
cannot be indiscriminate where the pacification of existence,
where freedom and happiness itself are at stake: here certain things cannot be said,
certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain political
measures cannot be proposed, a certain behavior cannot be permitted without
behavior cannot be permitted without tolerance becoming an
instrument of the perpetuation of servitude.

So I find it everytime again - let's say - "interesting" to read this loudest cryout for "ultimate tolerance" for everything and anything. Spreading lies from spheres like 4chan is to tolerate, where people are making lists, threaten others just because they are for emancipation or giving in for fascism-memes? Well, okay? Spreading hate and ideologies based onto that should be comparable to democratic approaches? That's all to read these days in the "global network". And we all participate within, more or less. Not to blame the individual, no one here in the thread for sure. But the point is clear: Our own behavior is the reasoning and our own ignorance is the reason itself. And I have read so much in the last year and just now again about people saying which "life" is literally "worth" and which is "not worth". We had this back in history and it seems some of us have learned especially nothing, instead they've taught their children the same hateful way and spread their own prejudices combined with whatever through the "global network" which is the point the author is pointing out. At one point there is need for contradiction! Better now, better just within this moment as every moment is better than doing this never. Besides to look onto earlier global threats from infections: In the middle-age the pest was the question and the answer was the death of innocent people here in Europe. So question to the Europeans: Learned something? Question to the world: Learned something from the influenza back then? Won't give any further answer as I'm just frustrated for the moment and leave this better for everyone to reflect. For sure people can try to ignore everything or try to find some simplified answer, but this is not about some personal decision alone like not using the seat belt in a car. When we don't manage to imagine the individualism within collectivism and the collectivism in individualism, we can finish the line right now. Seems so dark and hopeless what I write now, but that's just the concurrent state we are all into and I hope further we can pull us out. But not with meme-pictures, "someones-told-me"-messages, slurs or anything about that.