Re: Support for development of packages and applications in Hyperbola 0.4

Just a reminder for everyone: Please test your builds for 32bit AND 64bit. We had now more than one problem with build being only focussed onto 64bit for example. If you have no machine, tryout to build a virtual machine for 32bit compilation and testing. Otherwise we won't be able to add your PKGBUILD and have to reject it. sad

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

For everyone waiting for enlightenment (NOT e16 as this is already done): This cannot be included as the efl is making dbus as framework mandatory to have a concrete look: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Enlig … eson.build

All ecore-modules based onto dbus-1 as used dependency. So the conclusion is clear: enlightenment won't be part for the future of Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre and also HyperbolaBSD to come. Again to mention: This has nothing to do with enlightenment16 right now.

And just to add: enlightenment seems also to integrate MONO for the future. So in the end we would come to the decision to remove it when we even managed to add it without dbus for now. A bloated desktop-environment more on the list as it seems! For interested reading here is more about the mono-options: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Enlig … ptions.txt

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Also to add: We have another listing now. No package will disappear and is either added, removed as being not possible or added for later research.

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … d-later.md

54 (edited by zapper 2021-08-10 23:50:00)

throgh wrote:

Just a reminder for everyone: Please test your builds for 32bit AND 64bit. We had now more than one problem with build being only focussed onto 64bit for example. If you have no machine, tryout to build a virtual machine for 32bit compilation and testing. Otherwise we won't be able to add your PKGBUILD and have to reject it. :(

Wouldn't also stating which PKGBUILD, it works for also work?

So, if you tested it for 32 bit, you just say, I haven't tested it for 64 bit yet, etc...

That being said, I am surprised what you wrote below is true...

aka, enlightenment having so many problems...

Not counting the enlightenment16 version of course... ;)

VM's though I suppose are a good way too though.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Depends: Most the time - besides really little packages and libraries - I'll use first the 32bit for the first compilation, afterwards 64bit on X220 for the second and another test with librechroot on 32bit before a commit, therefore VLC is the next to do. Finished right now with both, but waiting for librechroot. wink

Yes, real hardware most the time, so I can also do a first QA-session (Quality-Assurance). But that is for sure not final. When we are finished with the list, we will proceed therefore also with runit and therefore both 32bit (X60s) and 64bit (X220) will be reinstalled with the INIT-system in conclusion. But that's only my conclusion to do: Any kind of VM is also working. So next also virt-manager or something to compare to manage that.

I was frustrated already with seeing enlightenment being that kind of a problem. But well? Using many Linux-only frameworks right now it would be more or less a coming problem for the future. So the best option is to get that aside as environment! Just to mention: We have nice looking window-managers and Lumina. Most of them can use compositing with xcompmgr or picom. First mentioned is running right now here on the 32bit-environment without having that issues on performance. big_smile We have lost nothing from my point of view when enlightenment is not added. Perhaps use e16 with the next install and QA for runit?

I'll focus later onto xfig so most graphic-software is ready for testing and usage. If there are some issues with sndio not solved, please also add them as soon as possible for us to review them - especially with packages - addressed to all reading and testing already. Next on the listing:

xfig
simpleburn
vlc (as mentioned already, but waiting for libraries to be added within repositories)
gigamesh

56 (edited by zapper 2021-08-11 03:56:35)

throgh wrote:

Depends: Most the time - besides really little packages and libraries - I'll use first the 32bit for the first compilation, afterwards 64bit on X220 for the second and another test with librechroot on 32bit before a commit, therefore VLC is the next to do. Finished right now with both, but waiting for librechroot. wink

Yes, real hardware most the time, so I can also do a first QA-session (Quality-Assurance). But that is for sure not final. When we are finished with the list, we will proceed therefore also with runit and therefore both 32bit (X60s) and 64bit (X220) will be reinstalled with the INIT-system in conclusion. But that's only my conclusion to do: Any kind of VM is also working. So next also virt-manager or something to compare to manage that.

I was frustrated already with seeing enlightenment being that kind of a problem. But well? Using many Linux-only frameworks right now it would be more or less a coming problem for the future. So the best option is to get that aside as environment! Just to mention: We have nice looking window-managers and Lumina. Most of them can use compositing with xcompmgr or picom. First mentioned is running right now here on the 32bit-environment without having that issues on performance. big_smile We have lost nothing from my point of view when enlightenment is not added. Perhaps use e16 with the next install and QA for runit?

I'll focus later onto xfig so most graphic-software is ready for testing and usage. If there are some issues with sndio not solved, please also add them as soon as possible for us to review them - especially with packages - addressed to all reading and testing already. Next on the listing:

xfig
simpleburn
vlc (as mentioned already, but waiting for libraries to be added within repositories)
gigamesh

Btw, without dbus, runit doesn't let you suspend at all using fn + f4 on many thinkpad devices

I am sure you are aware of this, but I felt the need to mention it.

Good news is, I tested to see if I could move back to openrc, it seems to work.

Bad news is, you have to force the computer off to do so... tongue

But it boots up fine and everything...

Like before, runit aka...

I don't think I need to ask you when runit will be fully compatible, you will let me know.

I am sure, smile

Anyways, that's what i found out, also, gimp seems to load fine, as far as I know.

I think: runit does not need dbus to run, so the problem is at other parts. Same with pinentry back then before solved. Yes, dbus is part for many things but it stays at the desktop most. big_smile So poweroff and reboot to test from the console. Suspend is just a way other topic for both. But therefore is uswsusp within the repositories and to combine that with some key-combinations also to look. Especially that: Is this functional on Void Linux for example? Because when testing here at my local installation this does not work either with key-combination "FN + F4". So I cannot test your usecase!

throgh wrote:

I think: runit does not need dbus to run, so the problem is at other parts. Same with pinentry back then before solved. Yes, dbus is part for many things but it stays at the desktop most. big_smile So poweroff and reboot to test from the console. Suspend is just a way other topic for both. But therefore is uswsusp within the repositories and to combine that with some key-combinations also to look. Especially that: Is this functional on Void Linux for example? Because when testing here at my local installation this does not work either with key-combination "FN + F4". So I cannot test your usecase!

Runit does not need dbus, I meant, to suspend, you need dbus.

It is functional in voidlinux, though they have dbus.

As for the FN + F4 thing, it does work if dbus is on at boot, as weird as that sounds...

meh...

That being said,  reboot and poweroff work already without dbus on.

That's my info for now though.

Okay, I think I've got it: You mean suspend to disk with the key-combination? Well, that will be not possible with version 0.4. I can't do it even on the test-systems using HyperRC right now. If you want to suspend, you have alternatives added and can use that on other ways. Again the recommendation for uswsusp for suspending. This was added already and is available within the repositories.

Doing that perhaps with some modifications onto keymapping, but in general there is no way to know that Fn was pressed and the scancode and the keycode of key-combinations including Fn depends on the individual keyboard design. More or less I'd say this part won't be onto focus, is for sure not an error and won't work with version 0.4 and later. You can create own alternatives for sure, perhaps when we add antimicro later as one possibility to execute a script or concrete commands.

Update for list of packages to be added:

blender
gigamesh
luxcorerender
libreoffice
0ad
virt-manager (or alternatives)
vlc
wine-stable
postfix
radicale
davical
wicd
php
gajim
prosody
syncthing
syncthing-gtk
mumble
varnish

Not an important one. If wmctrl isn't in the repo there, do you think it is necessary?

throgh wrote:

Okay, I think I've got it: You mean suspend to disk with the key-combination? Well, that will be not possible with version 0.4. I can't do it even on the test-systems using HyperRC right now. If you want to suspend, you have alternatives added and can use that on other ways. Again the recommendation for uswsusp for suspending. This was added already and is available within the repositories.

Doing that perhaps with some modifications onto keymapping, but in general there is no way to know that Fn was pressed and the scancode and the keycode of key-combinations including Fn depends on the individual keyboard design. More or less I'd say this part won't be onto focus, is for sure not an error and won't work with version 0.4 and later. You can create own alternatives for sure, perhaps when we add antimicro later as one possibility to execute a script or concrete commands.

Alrighty... but is there like, a way to suspend via normal user? Or would that be insecure no matter what?

Also, I don't really know how to make uswsusp work,

I don't quite know what you mean by, this:

==> The new Software Suspend does not use kernel parameters
==> to determine the suspend partition, instead it consults
==> /etc/suspend.conf when booting.
==> You MUST edit this file before you update your initrd.
==> Point the "resume device" variable to your swap partition.

Is it like /dev/sdx2? or is it something else?

Here to help and yes, there is a way to use this method as user. I'll write more about that later within a seperated thread as the kernel-module is more or less not that complicated to be used further. For a start: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Uswsusp

64 (edited by zapper 2021-08-12 14:10:45)

throgh wrote:

Here to help and yes, there is a way to use this method as user. I'll write more about that later within a seperated thread as the kernel-module is more or less not that complicated to be used further. For a start: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Uswsusp

Quick note btw, I figured out a small part of it, but there is still this issue:

typed in -----------------> s2ram both
response:  KMS graphics driver is in use, skipping quirks.
/sys/power/state does not exist; what kind of ninja mutant machine is this?

Seems they had a good sense of humor in at least one sense...

EDIT, I figured out how to get it working, with doas, but I would like to be able to set a key combo in my window manager, to be able to suspend when I want to. :)

Aka, non-root/doas/sudo would be nice...

Anywho, let me know if you know how to do that...

Yes you can modify your doas-configuration. For example to execute poweroff or reboot:

permit nopass USERNAME as root cmd /sbin/poweroff
permit nopass USERNAME as root cmd /sbin/reboot

Of course USERNAME is your correct username on the system. Afterwards you can use the command like this:

doas /sbin/poweroff

And same for the usage for suspending through the kernel-module.

66 (edited by zapper 2021-08-13 02:46:17)

throgh wrote:

Yes you can modify your doas-configuration. For example to execute poweroff or reboot:

permit nopass USERNAME as root cmd /sbin/poweroff
permit nopass USERNAME as root cmd /sbin/reboot

Of course USERNAME is your correct username on the system. Afterwards you can use the command like this:

doas /sbin/poweroff

And same for the usage for suspending through the kernel-module.

the suspend option though is the issue, and  it resides in /usr/bin/
aka, /usr/bin/s2ram

It keeps giving me /dev/mem errors, btw.

or it gives this error when I try to use it in my regular user:

spams this 10x at least:

fgconsole: getconsolefd: Inappropriate ioctl for device
chvt: VT_ACTIVATE: Bad file descriptor
then:

switching from vt-1 to vt1... failed
cannot open /proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flags for writing (not running as root?)

And you can use also:

permit nopass USERNAME as root cmd /usr/bin/s2ram

Please have in mind that a GNU-systems invites you for experimenting with the configuration and tryout. That's not bad, in fact it is your freedom to do what you want with your system. So with above configuration you can afterwards use:

doas /usr/bin/s2ram

Proposal: I'll have here a system most fresh installed and within need for suspend also. IceWM as my favorite window-manager is installed and configured. So I have to do the same as this system has no dbus and 0.3.1. I'll share my part and configuration later.

68 (edited by zapper 2021-08-13 12:55:55)

throgh wrote:

And you can use also:

Please have in mind that a GNU-systems invites you for experimenting with the configuration and tryout. That's not bad, in fact it is your freedom to do what you want with your system. So with above configuration you can afterwards use:

doas /usr/bin/s2ram

Proposal: I'll have here a system most fresh installed and within need for suspend also. IceWM as my favorite window-manager is installed and configured. So I have to do the same as this system has no dbus and 0.3.1. I'll share my part and configuration later.

Good news, I just checked, after removing dbus from my 0.4 setup and the amazing thing is, FN + F4 works still! 

On openrc anyways...

I have no idea what's different between that and runit that made it work.

But yeah, something about suspend via fn + f4 works on my openrc laptops without dbus, but not the runit ones yet.

very weird...

ps, tried that:

The above combo failed for me on 0.4...

weird right?

Anywho, I wonder if the suspend combo FN + F4 requires some initscripts that haven't been added yet.

for runit...

Anywho, that's what i found out after removing dbus and rebooting with the openrc init.

Sorry, don't want to be rude or unfriendly: You have installed dbus on the system? The problem is: dbus left some rest onto it. System-configurations within home-folder, settings and more. Better to get rid of all as otherwise the test is more or less becoming even more complex to find out. I can for sure say: No function-key with HyperRC (openrc) on 0.4. Also on 0.3.1 when I build the system from the ground without dbus (and blacklisting dbus afterwards). And I think we both have comparable setup:

Build-system 1 (local): ThinkPad X60s 32bit-only
Build-system 2 (chroot): ThinkPad X60s 32bit-only
Build-system 3 (chroot): ThinkPad X220 64bit-only

Productive (0.3.1, multilib): ThinkPad X200 and X220

No system with dbus left. wink
Not meant to draw any line, just to make the testing-scenarios way easier. A system without dbus do behave for sure not like a system with dbus. For calling that: Even the service itself consume much more power, right from startup. And dbus itself brings more complexity with. Removing it leaves a rest! I have no way to test FN + F4 for example: It just don't work, also with HyperRC / OpenRC.

70 (edited by zapper 2021-08-13 13:05:24)

throgh wrote:

Sorry, don't want to be rude or unfriendly: You have installed dbus on the system? The problem is: dbus left some rest onto it. System-configurations within home-folder, settings and more. Better to get rid of all as otherwise the test is more or less becoming even more complex to find out. I can for sure say: No function-key with HyperRC (openrc) on 0.4. Also on 0.3.1 when I build the system from the ground without dbus (and blacklisting dbus afterwards). And I think we both have comparable setup:

Build-system 1 (local): ThinkPad X60s 32bit-only
Build-system 2 (chroot): ThinkPad X60s 32bit-only
Build-system 3 (chroot): ThinkPad X220 64bit-only

Productive (0.3.1, multilib): ThinkPad X200 and X220

No system with dbus left. wink

on 0.4, it doesn't remove dbus by force... I hadn't done that till last night. tongue

I utterly removed bus last night aka...

When I rebooted, the function + f4 key still worked in suspend.

Though anytime I tried to use runit, to suspend using that combo, it didn't work. Strange it is...

I think you misunderstood me is all...

I had dbus still on my system for a while, but it was doing almost nothing, I didn't want to lose suspend aka. Turns out I was foolish to wait. lol.

Sorry when I've got you wrong. Thanks for more information to clarify. Was not sure how you migrated towards 0.4 as I'm now only with testing-systems and my production here. big_smile Have also the chance used to get another X220 for testing-purpose. I can understand also the opposite as 32bit-systems are way more complicated to get these days for example, a problem of the industry and behaviour itself (by manufacturing, marketing and more). sad

72 (edited by HarvettFox96 2021-08-16 14:04:34)

(Post moved to HyperTask and partially edited as FS#1576.)

73 (edited by zapper 2021-08-16 13:25:57)

EDIT: I have changed this post, my bad for posting the wrong stuff here,

I apologize for being lazy and posting my error reports here, I wasn't thinking at all.

Thanks for correcting me.

I have put them on the issue trackers, aka, the sndio bug and hplip request...

Again the invitation: Please create an issue with reports about used components and perhaps also log-files when trying to start the daemon manually!

The forum is okay for reporting, ideas and some solutions. But please help to document the issues! Thanks.
This thread is NOT for error-reports. It is the call for helping with the package-development, so that Hyperbola has a stable and independent base. If you have errors to report, there are two possible links:

https://issues.hyperbola.info/ (preferred variant)
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=533 (making a note about your issue)

So please: Reporting that everywhere is not helping.

75 (edited by zapper 2021-08-16 13:26:47)

throgh wrote:

Again the invitation: Please create an issue with reports about used components and perhaps also log-files when trying to start the daemon manually!

The forum is okay for reporting, ideas and some solutions. But please help to document the issues! Thanks.
This thread is NOT for error-reports. It is the call for helping with the package-development, so that Hyperbola has a stable and independent base. If you have errors to report, there are two possible links:

https://issues.hyperbola.info/ (preferred variant)
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=533 (making a note about your issue)

So please: Reporting that everywhere is not helping.

Sorry, was lazy that day...  I will do so now if you'd like, if I can remember what error messages occured.

Btw, see https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 3365#p3365

for my apology,

I need to be less lazy...