1 (edited by chomwitt 2022-07-01 22:38:38)

Topic: Video of installation in a qemu virtual machine.

My greetings to the Hyperbola community .

I come from Debian land, Lately i've settled to Devuan for more freedom and less unecessary complexity.
Reading about Hyperbola it's williness to try new inroads in the two aspects i mentioned  and it's work in removing unecessasary complexity  i wanted to try it.

I had some difficulties . So i thougth it'd be usefull to me and i hope to others for future reference t,o create and share a video.

I used as guide mainly the The KISS guide to get started with Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre.
Very usefull was the post installation post in this forum  from @throgh .

One difiulty was with cfdisk. I couldnt toggle the boot flag on a partition (GPT scheme).
That error was manifested near the installation end (installing grub) for a mistake that was made at the start.

this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot partition

So i tried from the start using fdisk that time.
I wonder if there could be safety triggers at each step before moving to the next.

Also if i could copy paste from lynx to another virtual console while installing that could help in a scenario that there is no other computer.

Last, i dont know what i missed and slim doesnt start automatically and i have start with startx .

As a general wish regarding the installation  i think obarun-install is a very handy installation ncurses wizard that streamlines the process and the choices . I'm not sure thougth if that means loss of flexibiility for server or other setups.

Re: Video of installation in a qemu virtual machine.

Hello and welcome to the forums,
you need to add slim as service to be started at runlevel, following example:

doas rc-update add slim default
Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by zapper 2022-06-29 04:15:43)

throgh wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forums,
you need to add slim as service to be started at runlevel, following example:

doas rc-update add slim default

Either that, or the tdm method:

doas pacman -S console-tdm

then,

tdmctl init

then,

make a file to put in your home folder, like,

/home/youruser/.xinitrc

have it say tdm --xstart

and add this line to the end of .bash_profile:

tdm && exit

This means, if you logout from your window manager/Lumina Desktop,  it will log you out.

as for adding Lumina Desktop or any window manager that isn't already added, do it like this:

tdmctl add WMNAME /usr/bin/whateverWMisnamed

This is how I do it, it is much better for resources beyond just ram usage. Probably saves battery life too.

Slim is definitely the easier option, but  I prefer less cpu usage, because that also means more battery usage.

Not sure how much more, but I like it this way.

smile

I  also just checked btw and it turns out this method doesn't require starting services with openrc, so feel free to try either. smile

Hope this is useful! smile

Edit: typo

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

4 (edited by chomwitt 2022-07-01 23:43:11)

@throgh and @zapper thanks .
For the moment i streamlined my video , i removed sections reading lynx network.html etc and
concetrated on preparing the storage  and base system.
https://peertube.linuxrocks.online/w/nK … TjXaZs2fHG

I plan to create different videos on postinstallation so your tips are valuable.

chomwitt wrote:

For the moment i streamlined my video , i removed sections reading lynx network.html etc and

I plan to create different videos on postinstallation so your tips are valuable.

Cool man, btw, wiki needs expanding, probably...

I been both having some odd problems lately...

Not completely sure why, but for reasons I won't say here, suffice to say, its more than laziness...

However, I am glad they helped.

Btw, that tidbit about causing tdm to properly log when you exit your window manager or Lumina Desktop help, I think I found that on the github,com of console-tdm.

Memory a bit foggy though...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

chomwitt wrote:

Thanks for noting and leaving the link. If you need more or do other parts, just leave a comment and we can think together here as community as you are part as all others. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!