Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Well, more examples about being believable: On the one hand building a real free and libre game like 0 A.D. but on the other hand carrying news throughout all the (anti-)social persistent and proprietary service-world. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, you name it and it can be found. Yes, the project itself is free and libre for the time being ... meaning for now and it can be changed . There is no further guarantee besides making a fork. You think this won't happen? Well the project Subsonic should teach you otherwise: While first done in one way "open-source", there is nothing left of it and the project emerged being further free and libre is Airsonic. Nevertheless forking is absolutely useful, there is always the risk loosing people and therefore interest. Software-projects don't die at once and to handle freedom, privacy and security it is even better staying away completely from proprietary services. Otherwise there is a wrong perspective generated, seem to be "okay" using those services and no longer looking at all the wonderful own toolsets we have for building own, independent and community-driven infrastructure.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

102 (edited by throgh 2020-05-17 23:49:53)

Being believable means also being against anti-emancipatory services like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, WhatsApp and so many more. Building own, decentralized infrastructure and start handle with strict principle and in respect for each other, in respect for empathy and humaneness. Just don't following some straight capitalistic thoughts and motivations, no companies at all and stop seeing some leadership in some "big" names. Yes, people giving ideas. But this doesn't mean that those people are seen free from any kind of criticism. We have enough problems with meritocratic procedures and way of behaving in so many groups into free, libre software and projects itself.

You don't know what this means? Speaking out simple: Only ones doing something for the project have the right to speak and the more you do, the more rights you could get. Sounds unfair? Well, yes it is completely unfair and also inhumane. Because people are declacred as "untouchable", so they can do everything, also harassing, bullying and insulting others without any consequences. They do it because they are declared "untouchable" and "sensitive" for further progress. You think the deletion of hatred from centralized (anti-)social networks help? No, it doesn't. In fact there is no difference within centralized or decentralized platforms. What can help? It is up to you and it is up to me to speak up! And that's another point of being believable. Seeing inhumane hatred, seeing all the kind of prejudices and the problems also we've got today. Speak up against meritocracies and give everyone the same right. There is no difference and stop following wordings of others just because they've done some ideas or deeds. Do it for your own, hear for the ones being silent and thrown out of society, because they are declared "not fitting" or "being weak". That's disgusting what our global society is capable like all the people dying of arrogance, ignorance and hatred! And ask questions as even behind some masquerade of "peace" more hatred could come up. Be always critical, starting with yourself.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

And yes: We have absolute dependencies on some companies, for now. So select before you buy: Have a look onto h-node, get in touch with free, libre distributions and their communities, ask before you buy. Afterwards the selected operating system does not run or has further problems with proprietary chipsets being not free and therefore in need for firmware-blobs.

Select your alternatives,

• LibreCMC or OpenWRT

• Libreboot or Coreboot

• Replicant

And try buying used, second-hand hardware. Yes, the risk is higher that something is malfunctional. But you don't show the companies that you are in need for further production: Those devices were bought once and are now in another circle for usage, not longer under the perspective of their original creators. You can select what you do with them, changing the firmare, the BIOS and modify it to your needs. Being emancipatory and final independent. Of course nobody has a personal chip-production in the backyard, but it is the best we can try for now, not to create even more devices thrown onto trash.

104 (edited by throgh 2020-05-27 08:01:48)

Being believable means also being into the respect of freedom for everyone (who is in respect for living in peace and empathy) and not only the respect of the mass. Individuality is one thing, the reasoning for building software for own needs is the other. Yes, one argument being used is: You are not the only person of the world and so there are others and their favors to respect.

Yes, that's a good and valid point. But most time used other way around making questionsable decisions and ethics within development irrelevant. So overloaded interfaces and monolithic projects like systemd are made valid throughout this argumentation. Those projects made even with others respecting those freedom of choice and being built with different options onto different environments, based on the needs of the users. The argumentation of pragmatism is the vague pointout of security of the mass. Browsers based on XUL are in the minority and therefore more questionable than those used by the majority. Well, could be and of course having more people into testing is absolutely needed. But as mentioned before: Vague argumentation as those "majority" and used browsers for example implement enough anti-features. Where is the difference? Where to begin with trust? And why always using this "principle" of the so-called majority, of the masses?

Yes, we are not "alone" and people using Hyperbola have other interests as people using Arch Linux for example. Well? And what next? There are enough projects like systemd, pulseaudio and more ignoring the freedom of choice, as they are also included into the distributions as the only reliable option. Where is the so-called "freedom" now? And besides: XUL-based browsers had a long time to be tested as Mozilla dropped this out with versions after 52. So either helping out with testing as possibility or just stop with those argumentations as "bloatware" is clear defined - argumentation for "bloat" being vague and subjective, this is not true at all. And in the end the discussion slip away from the ground we need: Information is one thing. But do we need all those websites with videos, animations and interactive JavaScript executed directly? Where is the information? Hidden in all those blinking animations? And just because the "mass" (whatever this means in the end), the "majority" mean to have this as absolute base: Is this the base for reasonable decisions? I don't think so.

Annotation: And yes, guess what ... there is NO unlimited freedom as pointed out in earlier posts. Technology cannot be viewed from a neutral point and is therefore always following some ideology. And we cannot use our "own personal freedom" to bring up restrictions for others, for their dignity or even for their lifes. Hatred is disgusting and a dangerous path. So keep this in mind when writing about "freedom", because this has also restrictions for everyone's good. Personal decisions have consequences: Do you try using real free, libre soft- and hardware? Do you try making more pragmatic choices? Or do you completely ignore idealism? All of this is a personal choice and all of this can lead to consequences. Use your freedom wisely to protect others, their life and their dignity. A living without fear and not being insulted for sexual orientation, skin colour, origin and religion one human being has got! A free culture on a global level to be formed.

105 (edited by throgh 2020-05-27 10:04:16)

Besides just another short annotation to delete Github. The whole platform was problematic long before Microsoft got into and is now more of the same: Complete desaster for free, libre software making usage of own developments and instead being onto the pragmatic choice onwards into unknown horizons. Do you think Github can help making anything better? Think again as differences were and are made as part of their business model and there are enough examples to find. And the license of any library, any project itself can be changed in the future - of course not by Github and more coming directly from maintainers / maintaining groups as being part of "pragmatism". Of course most done with a fork. But stop thinking centralized platforms cannot do any harm. It is not okay to integrate and making use of them, can lead to destruction of clear principles.

106 (edited by throgh 2020-05-29 08:55:24)

Short comment on conspiracy ideologies (no, not theories as this wording is only for scientific support and not for hatemongering): Being believable means also to look behind the curtain and seeing human beings as exactly those, not to make differences between some kind of "the ones below against the ones above". You can see the difference? To get this more clear: Having the beliefs that there are always some kind of "evil masterplans" does not make anything better. In fact this is getting even more worse: First words and after that what? Deeds? Revolution? Think again: Revolutions most time are not peaceful and a bloody mess for many, hurting and killing. Take care of your own principles instead searching for "evil masterplans" before or behind some "hidden doors" - surprise: there are no "big plans". And there is the difference between being strict and being upside down, far away from rational thoughts.

You don't like "Bill Gates"? Okay, but on what base? Do you know him? Or do you just tend to rule from some articles, where writers tend to press their views onto you and me? Stop that. A good article is giving you and me a chance for own thoughts and own researches, not to take just one view. So questionize the way: Can I as a person make some final rule about "Bill Gates" just because he is characterized as "the evil in person" these days? No I cannot and I will not! I just can see the deeds and wordings from Microsoft, the company he founded back the days. So what? Do I believe Microsoft is "good"? No, I don't. So stop also give me and others only two options: In or out? That's risky, that's dangerous. Being believable is also about making mistakes, seeing in between and choose some way for a reformation. First things first: Not believing some simplified messages on anti-social platforms, because they are to be characterized on these ways when there is no further possibility for own researches and own conclusions. So again the question: Do I "like" Bill Gates as a person? Cannot answer this because I don't know him. Do I like what he is doing? Of course not always, but where is the difference? I want open medications for everyone, the far more open to be created the better. No patents at last, no licenses or something else. The idealism itself as I want "capitalism" to be destroyed and reformed to another system with democratic inbound. But as I've mentioned: Any utopian view can help, as dreamers can reach out for the sky - won't reach this in the near future, but better to believe on this as to search for "evil masterplans". And no: Being idealistic doesn't make you or me blind for "evil deeds" or better the consequences of arrogance and ignorance. In fact those are also two different points being. But this is another story for another posting here in the thread. smile I think it is important to make a clear statement as everyone is capable doing own searches and researches. And to replicate antisemite stereotypes back from darkest of history is nothing to do for real as it ends always really, really, really bad (nice description without any further wording). It is disgusting to do this and better to stand against it, stand for clear own principles. Do your research and just don't take only my words: Even though "we below against them above" is exactly that and nothing more. After "them" are "destroyed" there will be always another "them" and some people declare themselves to this position, again "for the greater good" - and all are living humans with own thoughts and stories behind, respect that in the first place, of course with viewing on what is developing and not play your own court. Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices - meaning exactly conspiracy ideologies: Just learn from books or even movies, hear the warnings for this dangerous path as the slur thoughts for "evil masterplans" will never stop and something is behind every edge - no, but people try to search only for the bad and even more bad instead to create alternatives or discuss solutions. The chance is there to stop that before it gets on rolling and the viscious circle will never stops after getting on rolling.

Being believable is including to examine and react on facts, not on somebody saying "It is okay!". You want an example?
Here you are: https://notabug.org/GPast/avideo/issues … ment-11299

Well? Where is the proof that youtube-dl is "okay"? First things first: The complete platform YouTube is a proprietary service!
Yes, the package youtube-dl can handle also others, but where is the difference between Vimeo and YouTube for example? Both are just proprietary, full with advertising and the complete opposite of free, libre services. Or is it possible to download some content without boundaries? No. Are free licenses respecting the users common sense? No. So here is the first failure of the FSF and their definition of "It is okay!", but there is more to come as the issue is giving us also more insights of the answer without any further reaction for a year now. The package youtube-dl has not a complete script-interpreter within, but execution of nonfree JavaScript, meaning obfuscated code as the posting also tells us? Okay, taking again the definition of the FSF as "It is okay!" ... where is the review of Github being problematic? Or do we never get more insights into that? More centralization? So much for being believable. Yes, nevertheless the work for free software is important, but on this level? Or do we have Chromium next on the list to come?

Come on: Strict principles are not to throw out when something fits into a far wider definition of being free in some ways, dear FSF. Either the complete way is free, or not. There is no shading here, just "Black" or "White". And to redefine a system being damaged to the ground - meaning the pragmatism of "Open-Source" and all the flaws to follow - is nothing more helpful. YouTube is a proprietary service and where is the trust on decentralized, free and libre software when relying just on that? KDE is doing that for their presentation, Gnome the same and many other projects.

cynicfm wrote:

Youtube is a virus and it is sad fact...
Lost of people are so addicted to it that they will attack you and offend you if you say you simply don't go on it and when you ask them to stop sending you youtube links... But even if you do tell that to somebody 5 times: i don't watch youtube please don't send me links, they gonna send you links anyways and treat sending youtube links and watching videos like it is part of conversation between people... Haha if you go on lots of forums this is how usually conversation looks like is posting youtube videos and commenting them, this is such a low standard
It is so out of order mate... You don't allow yourself to visit youtube?? How can you not go on youtube, you weirdo???
Oh what's so great about watching ads and consume so much data?? What if i am on limited mobile data plan??? What i hate ads?? What if i have huge music collection and good equipment and i think listening to music on platforms that regularly will play you ads if you don't pay for rental of listening to music you don't own, simply sucks!!!!???? Is it so hard to understand??? So you say i am mental weirdo cuz i don't want to go on youtube?? But you think it's ok to use this platform because billion other people do too, right????? :-(

The platform itself is made being addictive in many ways, but even if there are alternatives people tend to use the most used platform because of missed out content. And I know about this problem as I tried with an own installation of Mediadrop. The site was visited and there were uploads besides mine, but people tend more to consume instead to create. Not a problem in general, but I see no further possibility to get this turned as even learning material for children is to be found just there, even though knowledge has to be free and accessible for everyone without boundaries to those services. I hope people get more into this and I want to help building alternatives - not with Mediadrop as there is Flash needed for uploading content.

But no one is weird when rejecting a service with reasoning. It is just more of the same: Convenience!

109 (edited by throgh 2020-05-31 11:09:19)

I know what you mean, especially when trying to find information there is the "internet". But this concept was once a real good idea, only a shadow of this today. So I think we should try taking back some part of it, with decentralization and building own parts with free, libre soft- and hardware. Yes, this take long time and is a fight against windmills. But you learn even more throughout this when looking into the different projects. And yes, many of them have their own freedom or security flaws. With free software we are able to make own forks, for example Mediagoblin without NodeJS as heckyel did - I'm onto this next for building a little selfhosted media-website.

And perhaps people are motivated when we tell them about our experiences? smile
We all are not powerless when trying to do something. Facebook or YouTube are of course not the plain and ground-reasoning evil, but they are also not fitting into a world where freedom and personal security are important, because they exist just from the data taking from people - same with Android as I hope the first mobile devices with GNU/Linux are up to become more fitting into usecases this year (meaning the Pinephone especially even when it is not free as in freedom for the first startup).

110 (edited by throgh 2020-05-31 18:56:30)

I think it is time to write about more political sights regarding "free, libre soft- and hardware". The first point to come: The so-called liberal view of soft- and hardware. Combined with the question: Do we have to accept proprietary software being part of our daily life? Even with this standalone question you can see the problem from within coming up.

Yes, I can accept parts being proprietary, but do I have to accept this one without further questioning and searching for alternatives? Even though I personal like Coreboot very much, there are firmware-blobs for most usecases (Link to the corresponding git-repository). Here is the answer: No, on a final point I don't have to accept that for the time being, besides I can live with a temporary solution in general. So what's about this so-called liberal view? And why is there some really disrespectful wording as "free software nazi" on the road? Well, more views to come up here: First I think the wording is not fitting, in no way. Yes, they may be some people trying to press their views about "free, libre soft- and hardware" on others, being some kind of missionary regarding that. So this makes them nothing more than "oppressive missionaries" - yeah, most to be found within the historical meaning of the word itself. But a "free software nazi"? Completely wrong besides as it is ignoring the context of what exactly nationalsocialism or fascism means and describing people on this way is nevertheless a wild and hateful mixture in general, a very disgusting one.

As I have this liberal view in mind it could be better described as another facet of the known pragmatism, the known convenience. Some quotes from that region and mindset I had in discussions in the past:

"A video-streaming service? Free? For what reasoning? There is YouTube!"

"Okay, WhatsApp is dealing with my data, but hey I've got the surrounding system most time free without Google."

"It is so complex and time-consuming to build alternatives, let's try to focus on that one's existing, even if they are not free as in freedom."

"To carry news about free, libre software back into the proprietary services is kind of important, as people being in decentralized and open systems don't be convinced at all."

I could write down so much more quotes, but the so-called liberal view stays the same: Being just pragmatic. And it is not about seeing grey shades between a black and white side of positioning. It is about the question where I as an individual person and human being can see myself. Yes, I can have wrong information and built therefore a perspective on that. But therefore reflection is needed (which is also done throughout threads and discussions like this one here, being transparent and open for everyone). That has nothing to do being liberal or in some way conservative as it is about do the complete free soft- and hardware is mixed up into being more and more without meaning. And confronting people bringing up the argument "free software nazi" is already needed as everyone has an own perspective, but it is not about being oppressed as this designation besides being disrespectful and relativizing towards cruel, inhuman ideologies completely ignores the balance of power. The balance between free, libre and proprietary software, while last one is just more common even when some parts are based on projects under a permissive, free license. As it is more common these days being more into some kind of "turning neck"-tactics, dealing with some identity instead of clear idealistic principles for all human beings, straight forward arguments and strict principles are seen as some kind of harassment, radicale or even more worse (demonstrated through the one mentioned wording "free software nazi"). When this is some kind of joke, it's a really bad one - as I have already described regarding the incorrect classification of historical events of the inhuman ideology. So I'm able to see the shades of grey, of course. And I can make exceptions. But there are borders we should not accept at all!

And just to note:

Nevertheless Libreboot is under active development. Yes there was no stable release since 2016. But what is the meaning about that when there is the search for "always new" on the other side? And what does this have to do with the personality of Leah as founder - found also in some argumentations? Exactly nothing as it is also disgusting to construct some slurs about personal problems as part of this so-called liberal view - where are the shades now? It is up to everyone to decide personal and not to make such shallow argumentation flaws. wink

111 (edited by throgh 2020-06-01 09:48:49)

Here is just one result of the liberal view: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/30/17

Modifying the Linux-kernel for using syscalls for better running "modern applications from Windows", especially games. Well? All of this is besides the Linux-kernel itself the same in one thing: No free code available, all licensed proprietary and Windows itself is throughout the same. Yes, I'm also using Wine. But the concurrent way many projects take is the opposite of being believable to fight for freedom, security and privacy as they all integrate more proprietary services and aim to be most accessible for them. Exactly why? Do you really think this can help, dear project-teams? Help for what? And to the users of the (also in same parts proprietary) Linux-kernel: What do you think to change when trying to become more and more even to Windows? Is it just to get away from data-mining and otherwise being not able to do without newest games, trying to jump afterwards newest trends in soft- and hardware? From my point of view this is ruining free, libre soft- and hardware. There is nothing left afterwards as more examples are available: How about the telemetry within games using the Unity-engine and framework (Link)? All for our good? But hey, this is good for doing some cheap and fast port towards Linux (without GNU), isn't it? I'd like to recommend everyone here reading this to search for the used engine / framework of some so-called native game for Linux before you buy it. If Unity is used you can just forget about it as many indie-titles are using this framework. Yes, some of them look very good, but nevertheless they are proprietary licensed and not executed in a sandbox, meaning they collect data while you "play".

112 (edited by throgh 2020-06-07 16:13:31)

We should talk about inequality and the systematics behind: The systematics behind mean exactly that there are different approaches having a "Status Quo" conserved at minimum and having just some progression without ideology. But I've already pointed out: There cannot be any difference as even the will to be neutral from ideology is an ideology!

Yes, that's a strange sentence to read for some at the first time. But let me tell you: To reject any "ideology" is in fact the way getting from values, from a humanistic approach and just do what the individuum wants to do. You know how to call this: Egoism. And from my point that's not what freedom and free, libre soft- and hardware should be about. We have to approach this as people doing this engagement just for their own ego. Yes, they can do that. But when a project-team recognize this those people should not be left being some "heroes" for them and should also reflect about meroticratic views within their projects itself, where individuals and groups forming around them can do whatever they want to do. Power is able to show the real face of people, of individuals, of us human beings and this can get ugly very fast. And that's one facette of inequality, next up rising and being all-time there are even more relevant as disgusting within the same time: Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia. They are all transported throughout power, marginalize others and being part of harassment, therefore also part of meritocratic systems and followed up within free software-communities and projects. Acknowledge about those mechanism, those systematic surpression because hatred can never be any solution. Making one statement here because black lives matter - all time, no difference to be made and in respect for human beings. You find this a little bit too far? Ask yourself: Living in peace and in freedom is the highest value for every human, so should there be any difference? No, there shouldn't but in fact it does for now. Everyone can do something about it as we do our own here of course, as many engaged people doing this. Solidarity and empathy are absolutely relevant and the base for actions. Try it out, be against the called mechanisms for inequality and confront yourself, reflect yourself for being believable as from inequality in rights there is coming more really bad and we can learn that from history of mankind as people are dying when ignorance and arrogance is common sense.

So technology, information and software same with hardware are never neutral, never free from ideologies. Let's give them a meaning to this, a meaning with humanism, for dignity and respect towards humans surpressed. And if you as individual, dear reader, see "no problems at all", think again and think about another mechanism: Being privileged as this is more of the same to change nothing and nothing in general, conserving the "Status Quo" (full with hatred and prejudices, ignorance and arrogance in common) at best or even making it more worse than ever. Instead sharing privileges, sharing power and reflect your own. Raise your voice for people living in dignity and same rights. And when discussions make no more sense - trust me you will see that as we all can do with a little reflection: Use your privleges to give others a voice, standing up for and with them, saying clearly No, here is the line and you won't get any closer!. We can have a shield, with clear principles and hope. And solidariy can be protection, coming up for action and standing up in peace with strict principles as there is no further crossing and place for hatred in any form.

113 (edited by throgh 2020-06-08 19:43:00)

You know about the power of words? Words can do much, create peace or the opposite, enrage or being diplomatic. There is so much about "words", about phrases, we need to be in learning for our time being here on earth. About the "power" of words as they can include or exclude, just with one simple sentence. The meaning about that is in absolute and static relation towards the phrase being believable. And it is not simple to do a reflection starting with yourself, it is an on-going process to question yourself and the mechanisms about exclusion of others. This is no one-sided switch turning something ON or OFF to solve a problem. Just a meritocratic process itself is not away where even Debian declares itself on that way using this wording, this phrase here. Quote to follow:

The Debian Project is not controlled by a board of investors, or a board of directors or a benevolent dictator, or a private owner. It is a meritocracy with yearly elected leader, and meritocratic key functional positions.

Just a simple phrase and we've got it again, without further questioning: Do more, get more!
Sounds nice and fair in the first place? I can assure you: No this is not "nice and fair". What about harassment towards others for example, about empower yourself standing above them because you are "in the higher position"? Those mechanics literally fail when the persons behind a role-model and position do literally questionable things, for example about ethics in general and exclude others just for their sexual orientation, their religion, their way to express and write. These are examples, but you see the problem: Being believable is and will stay a long road up ahead, a long walk for us all and everyone on an individual level. It's about so many perspectives, we as global society just have to do it everyday again and again: Starting with self-reflection and going onto criticism. Just because "you" don't see any kind of inequality in general doesn't make this disappearing: It is showing your priveleges as you can be not part of being defined as "not equal". Use this privilege to give others a voice and yes, it maybe harsh when others exclude you because of criticism. But that's just more of the demonstration as "we" humans don't want to hear about our own flaws and failures. Don't be frightened and know this: Solidarity is helping, don't be calm about the problems you see. And getting back to Debian: There are different approaches for the scribbled problem to be solved and I don't mean only one like a "Code of Conduct".

We can change, learn, listen, observe and be different. If we want that, we can be ready for doing that everyday again. Debian maybe doing a solid distribution for now, but that doesn't make everything else untouchable or unquestionable as words define and create part of our reality, our daily common understanding and the relationships between another. Don't let harsh, hateful wordings getting into that or empower yourself using those false mechanisms as they are the first failure of many to follow on that part of the road and I can guarantee: This will be a social and technological dead end to come, for sure. Inclusion for people to protect empathy and democratic understanding, real democratic understanding giving others a voice where yours maybe louder for now and this has to be changed. People, who don't want democratic values and just see themselves, are not part of that. But that's not only up to me, it's up to everyone to protect before hatred comes into our global community. A society with hate cannot last! Perhaps a short question for an entry: Do you believe in simplified pictures of "good and evil", declaring others as "your enemy"? Try to research for that as there is no "evil masterplan" to be found in general. Yes, there is "bad" to be done, but most the time this happens throughout egoism, ignorance and arrogance. You want to get your "evil deeds", search within history, search for the autocrats, the ones believing in "law and order". We can see that again and again, on small daily base, on the wide and global also! Questioning your privileges and before pointing now in my direction as I want to proclaim some propaganda: No that's not true. Of course I follow some ideology as everyone else. But mine is just the utopian imagery of a peaceful planet earth. Yeah, I know this is an utopian view. But dreaming means fighting for me and so I write my words down. Perhaps you read it and begin with questioning, looking behind mechanics of society and try to stand up against that? Yours to decide. And society itself is just neutral, a good value at all as we as humans need company in one form or another. But where is the end of my personal freedom? Do I have the right to insult others, getting against their freedom and even the highest value, their dignity as humans? No, there is the end and narratives doing that as final goal as mechanic, so getting freedom of minorities away, are that problem itself. We cannot tolerate intolerance and hatred. There is no need speaking about "evil companies", because we can just stay away from their services and platforms. Where is the problem building places on our own, with other thoughts in common, meaning making no money out of it and doing that for free knowledge, for a free culture? For being believable! wink

Ah and using simplified pictures for criticism is the base root we have to work on. Look at my signature: There is criticism about capitalism in it. But that's just simplified as there no further room. Got it? I am into capitalism as every other being here, so it is up to me being criticized at first place, no so-called "evil company". Yes I can reject using proprietary services based on enough arguments, but same with the wording "surveillance capitalism": Simple word with some dark sides named "structural antisemitism" when used comletely wrong. The reasoning for that? The responsibility is outsourced towards some named or unnamed "evil", some big names in general. We all are part of that "surveillance capitalism" and therefore my decisiions are not better or far more worse than yours. In fact all decisions together can make here the difference, the final definition for the moment and so words can define our reality. Stay sharp in criticism and don't get on sideways!

You know about very risky way some so-called "free projects" take these days? The way into the "Cloud"? Being defined as software as a service is nothing more as definitely renting some "software" for a defined amount of time, nothing more and nothing less. So why exactly do free projects choose first a proprietary hosting service for their codebase and after that enhance their code for supporting providers like Amazon? Well, it's about the so-called userbase. But there is not further usecase for "Cloud-computing". Remember: There is no cloud, just the computer-systems of other people!

Another opposite of being believable and the reasoning why NOT EVERY so-called "open-source" project is in fact the exact helping hand.

cynicfm wrote:

Youtube is a virus and it is sad fact...
Lost of people are so addicted to it that they will attack you and offend you if you say you simply don't go on it and when you ask them to stop sending you youtube links... But even if you do tell that to somebody 5 times: i don't watch youtube please don't send me links, they gonna send you links anyways and treat sending youtube links and watching videos like it is part of conversation between people... Haha if you go on lots of forums this is how usually conversation looks like is posting youtube videos and commenting them, this is such a low standard
It is so out of order mate... You don't allow yourself to visit youtube?? How can you not go on youtube, you weirdo???
Oh what's so great about watching ads and consume so much data?? What if i am on limited mobile data plan??? What i hate ads?? What if i have huge music collection and good equipment and i think listening to music on platforms that regularly will play you ads if you don't pay for rental of listening to music you don't own, simply sucks!!!!???? Is it so hard to understand??? So you say i am mental weirdo cuz i don't want to go on youtube?? But you think it's ok to use this platform because billion other people do too, right????? :-(

This is true, but alas, this is also why it would be helpful for invidio.us or other invidio instances to continue to exist.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

throgh wrote:

I think it is time to write about more political sights regarding "free, libre soft- and hardware". The first point to come: The so-called liberal view of soft- and hardware. Combined with the question: Do we have to accept proprietary software being part of our daily life? Even with this standalone question you can see the problem from within coming up.

Yes, I can accept parts being proprietary, but do I have to accept this one without further questioning and searching for alternatives? Even though I personal like Coreboot very much, there are firmware-blobs for most usecases (Link to the corresponding git-repository). Here is the answer: No, on a final point I don't have to accept that for the time being, besides I can live with a temporary solution in general. So what's about this so-called liberal view? And why is there some really disrespectful wording as "free software nazi" on the road? Well, more views to come up here: First I think the wording is not fitting, in no way. Yes, they may be some people trying to press their views about "free, libre soft- and hardware" on others, being some kind of missionary regarding that. So this makes them nothing more than "oppressive missionaries" - yeah, most to be found within the historical meaning of the word itself. But a "free software nazi"? Completely wrong besides as it is ignoring the context of what exactly nationalsocialism or fascism means and describing people on this way is nevertheless a wild and hateful mixture in general, a very disgusting one.

As I have this liberal view in mind it could be better described as another facet of the known pragmatism, the known convenience. Some quotes from that region and mindset I had in discussions in the past:

"A video-streaming service? Free? For what reasoning? There is YouTube!"

"Okay, WhatsApp is dealing with my data, but hey I've got the surrounding system most time free without Google."

"It is so complex and time-consuming to build alternatives, let's try to focus on that one's existing, even if they are not free as in freedom."

"To carry news about free, libre software back into the proprietary services is kind of important, as people being in decentralized and open systems don't be convinced at all."

I could write down so much more quotes, but the so-called liberal view stays the same: Being just pragmatic. And it is not about seeing grey shades between a black and white side of positioning. It is about the question where I as an individual person and human being can see myself. Yes, I can have wrong information and built therefore a perspective on that. But therefore reflection is needed (which is also done throughout threads and discussions like this one here, being transparent and open for everyone). That has nothing to do being liberal or in some way conservative as it is about do the complete free soft- and hardware is mixed up into being more and more without meaning. And confronting people bringing up the argument "free software nazi" is already needed as everyone has an own perspective, but it is not about being oppressed as this designation besides being disrespectful and relativizing towards cruel, inhuman ideologies completely ignores the balance of power. The balance between free, libre and proprietary software, while last one is just more common even when some parts are based on projects under a permissive, free license. As it is more common these days being more into some kind of "turning neck"-tactics, dealing with some identity instead of clear idealistic principles for all human beings, straight forward arguments and strict principles are seen as some kind of harassment, radicale or even more worse (demonstrated through the one mentioned wording "free software nazi"). When this is some kind of joke, it's a really bad one - as I have already described regarding the incorrect classification of historical events of the inhuman ideology. So I'm able to see the shades of grey, of course. And I can make exceptions. But there are borders we should not accept at all!

And just to note:

Nevertheless Libreboot is under active development. Yes there was no stable release since 2016. But what is the meaning about that when there is the search for "always new" on the other side? And what does this have to do with the personality of Leah as founder - found also in some argumentations? Exactly nothing as it is also disgusting to construct some slurs about personal problems as part of this so-called liberal view - where are the shades now? It is up to everyone to decide personal and not to make such shallow argumentation flaws. wink

Coreboot and Libreboot are both still better than the standard backdoored bios.  So there's that. smile

zapper wrote:

Coreboot and Libreboot are both still better than the standard backdoored bios.  So there's that. smile

Thanks for the feedback, zapper! smile And yes.

Just making a point as I read about views regarding unfree hardware running free software being some kind of "good" compromise as there "would be always proprietary firmware-blobs within computing". That sounded like the "Deal with it!"-argument we had in the past. Therefore I'm unsure why exactly it should be acceptable having proprietary firmware-blobs. Even sort to try building coreboot without as much firmware-blobs as even possible.

118 (edited by zapper 2020-06-22 03:19:46)

throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, zapper! smile And yes.

Just making a point as I read about views regarding unfree hardware running free software being some kind of "good" compromise as there "would be always proprietary firmware-blobs within computing". That sounded like the "Deal with it!"-argument we had in the past. Therefore I'm unsure why exactly it should be acceptable having proprietary firmware-blobs. Even sort to try building coreboot without as much firmware-blobs as even possible.

Also, I wonder if  libreboot has any backdoors that arent known about, if not, can coreboot be built the same way?

Just a thought.

regardless, it is way better than the non-free bios.  I just hope that something better comes out. MNT Reform looks somewhat better, but I am not sure yet,, and then there is this balthazar.space website + the below:

https://github.com/balthazar-space/balthazar

If a laptop is formed from this, and yes I do agree they should ditch github or in my opinion, at least use it as a non-mirror. But yeah, its a possibility for my interest.

From my current knowledge: Yes, you can build Coreboot the same way, but you have to work on it as those firmare-blobs are seperated downloads for the stable releases. But Libreboot is being developed further. It is just a pity for having no stable release within the last years. Maybe this will be changed?

Thanks for the link and information about the projects: I also look forward having more "free hardware"-projects. But there is also the other side as we are talking about "hardware" being ready for all people and not only for the ones with the fitting budget. I see therefore only refurbished systems in the making as most fitting for the time being, meaning the next amount of years. There should be also more activity into Libreboot for researching more systems like Leah announced the ThinkPad X220 being perhaps possible. That would be great!

120 (edited by throgh 2020-06-22 16:50:57)

And so it goes on: Not enough problems for free, libre software and corresponding projects. It is also about being finally reduced being some kind of irrelevant as the authoritarian administration of current US-president Donald Trump is up to replace people within the organization Open Technology Fund (OTF). This is a political movement and there are possibilities for a complete change back towards proprietary technologies instead getting even more freedom. Read more about that here. There it is: Freedom of speech? Maybe, but not for everyone and of course, only for payments. This is not any kind of dystopian future, it is here and now. This is how pragmatism is just taking away the free, libre soft- and hardware has reached until now: Because people don't care enough and when they get a possible reaction it is just too late. Yeah, capitalism risks everything just for maximizing the profit and outcome of money. Projects like NoScript or Tor are at risk. And to speak about trust for them: That's another story. Having only proprietary toolsets with proprietary licensing is a complete step backwards. Democracy is something to fight for, every day again.

121 (edited by throgh 2020-06-23 00:53:59)

To be honest: We are at risk to loose everything the global society has literally fought for within the last ten, twenty or even more than thirty years. We can see worldwide authoritarian politicians - including individuals, groups and parties - planning for another big backlash. Meaning: Getting far away from freedom, tolerance and respect, to abolish societies without hatred and creating a climate full with disrespect and danger. You say something wrong? Well, you have to endure restrictions when it goes good. And just don't trust all those talking about personal "freedom of speech". The trick behind all this? They don't mean equal rights for everyone, just the "Status Quo" for their own good. There is no difference between all those called "alt-right" or something else as they have comparable goals and objectives: Forming society backwards and making people not fitting into their scheme suffering.

Just to quote it:

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices!

Democracy is of highest value, but we have to fight for it. And "freedom of speech" doesn't mean being free of any criticism. Think again, don't just trust me or my words here. Just look after all those incidents we are aware of for now: The brutality and the hatred towards people being marginalized. That's the beginning and everyone know where this road can end, within darkest actions and unspeakable, cruel deeds. In other times I'd write about being in balance, but there is nothing like it for now when the world is in flames, because of us humans. And the flames tell us about suffering, being harassed, being hated and excluded from everything, being hunted and treated as some objects. Think of that and share your privileges to others, I can only mention this again and again. Begging everyone to look behind "law and order", question it and think about alternatives before the ride on this dark road goes on. Please just stop because nobody can stop either people looking forward to lynch justice or the police-state in creation. In the end we have only tears for the victims! sad
And it is disgusting how authoritarian politicians play, argument and point on people or groups fighting for a better tomorrow. It is like having everything on fire and instead getting the bucket full with water they use oil making it even more worse, just to see the world burning and people suffering more. roll Yes, being believable is also about all of this. What's the alternative? Making ourself free from any kind of "ideology" or "identity"? Sorry, but that's exactly the invitation for mentioned restrictions and the described form of police-state. The right to ask questions, to criticize and as history tells us it is the first right being removed and deleted - for the so-called greater good, of course, and just temporary, for a little amount of time, of course. Hearing for sensitive times like these ones for now? Listening to facts and numbers of scientists? Ah, not so "cool". Better to be "free of everything" ... and risk everything, of course (again). Solidarity? Empathy? Seems those ears are just not open, as it seems own privileges are better than sharing them and having others being protected. Too complex? No, but the pragmatism, personal and self-centred egoism is more important for many.

122 (edited by throgh 2020-06-23 23:46:53)

And remember: Just to repeat the phrase "being believable" just doesn't revert lies or make you and me the opposite about liars. Instead this is the illusion and the trick itself: Don't thinking to criticize just a "system", question your own position and your decisions. Reflect yourself as it just to easy speaking about a "system", some failure within structures. Within this thread you can find many examples where others have failed until now. But what's your story about it? And what's mine? The internal message is that this is all about us and our will to change. But not with some "free software" itself only, not with being free from ideology and not with the big revolution to come. Get a book with history out and read it: Most time to change one "system" resulted into other cruel deeds, unspeakable suffering combined with the so-called hope for a better tomorrow, literally war.

The first reflection: We are all liars in some ways. But to see that, we can change this and just not call for revenge or to attack some "system", which is not to repair. Free soft- and hardware, free culture itself results from respect, from empathy for each other, with understanding and without hatred, one of the extreme feelings we humans can have and it is the destructive one. To remember that we don't need differences or classes to seperate, that we have the same rights and privileges to share. That is free culture for being believable, without any boundaries! As said always again: Perhaps utopian, but a dream we all can try to work on, every day again. wink

Free culture means therefore also free, open information. Let's have a look onto this part: Do we have "free information"? We have applications and free encyclopedia in some ways. But to be honest? Wikipedia for example has its own problems with edited, wrong or questionable content delivered, only with the main objective not to tell the complete story or take some influence. This is not done by Wikipedia itself and coming up from humans and organizations with some plan back in mind. The problem are we: Some of us don't want to discuss, don't want to have criticism listed and any authoritarian regime is fast with tracking and censoring. There are so many wrong information or even worse told only in questionable ways and pieces used for a different agenda against humanism.

Next coming up: Free information? Not in times of capitalism.
You want to flash your notebook or mainboard with Libreboot? Of course you can do this, on the website there are many good first starting points and information about it. But how to do it for real? It is one thing to talk about it, describe it, but another thing to do it for real. And to ask people there is no guarantee getting any answer. The best one I have got in a negative way? Well:

I cannot write about this as this is part of my trade secret! And I cannot name components for a computer as you could copy this and make your own business out of this.

Yeah, you read it. Free information for a free culture? Of course in theory, but there is much to do: People think of course from their own point of view. But this is giving much more insight, because they would do this on their own. So using not only information, trying just to create more out of it for their own benefit. And therefore trust is not given or even existent, free information are not fully available, because of "business". But this is needed for being believable as it is not some "systematic". Just the known arrogance, ignorance and egoism.

Being believable for free culture means also using really free, inclusive programming languages with permissive, libre licensing. So what about Jitsi and others using Java? Well? The reasoning for removing Java and the OpenJDK is documented here regarding Hyperbola. So where is exactly the "freedom"? Yes, projects are fixed onto a language, that's absolutely okay. But neither Java nor Mono or Rust are in fact in some ways "okay": They all have problems regarding licensing in the first place. But it seems most distributions don't give much about principles: Better having in some way "free packages" and it is not really important if those have further problems later on. Sorry, but that's contrary towards being believable and being active into "free culture". sad

Removal of Java because it has really big problems with licensing, not permissive and freedom issues therefore. But you can also use Java without installation. Just as local folder with binaries later on. That's the personal decision for usage! smile