Topic: List of desktop software for Milky Way v0.4 and HyperbolaBSD

Hi guys,

Since we are removing all GNU/Linux based desktop frameworks (ConsoleKit, PolicyKit, D-Bus, systemd, elogind, etc) and migrating to HyperbolaBSD, Milky Way v0.4 is being packaged as "house in the middle" for HyperbolaBSD. So our plan is make a BSD-like and lightweight environment for Milky Way v0.4 to ease the life of our community in the transition to HyperbolaBSD. So coadde sent me this proposal list of desktop software for Milky Way v0.4 and HyperbolaBSD, What do you think?

i3              dynamic         ok      package:i3-wm
dwm             dynamic         ok      package:dwm
wmii            dynamic         ok      package:wmii
spectrwm        dynamic         ok      package:spectrwm
fvwm            dynamic         ok      package:fvwm
icewm           stacking        ok      package:icewm
jwm             stacking        ok      package:jwm
blackbox        stacking        ok      package:blackbox
fluxbox         stacking        ok      package:fluxbox
windowmaker     stacking        ok      package:windowmaker
cwm             stacking        ok      package:xenocara-cwm
twm             stacking        ok      package:xenocara-twm
notion          tiling          ok      not available in v0.3
bspwm           tiling          ok      package:bspwm
wmfs            tiling          ok      not available in v0.3
lumina          compositing     ok      not available in v0.3
xdm             displaymanager  ok      package:xorg-xdm
gtkgreet        displaymanager  ok      not available in v0.3
slim            displaymanager  aw      package:slim
wdm             displaymanager  aw      not available in v0.3
qingy           displaymanager  aw      not available in v0.3

Updated Note: There a spreadsheet with a list based on the applications suggested in this thread.

Re: List of desktop software for Milky Way v0.4 and HyperbolaBSD

These are good selections, however I think OpenBox + Tint2 would also be useful for us. It is a minimalist stacking window manager with right click menu customizable in XML. Tint2 is a small taskbar for use with OpenBox.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/openbox
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tint2

3 (edited by throgh 2020-11-18 19:58:56)

Nice selection: Thank you! I remember that zapper had a recommendation for Draco.
zapper, you have mentioned the needed dependency towards dbus: As it seems this was removed and Draco be built without it. As fork of Lumina: Would this be also another possibility?

https://github.com/rodlie/draco/issues/28

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Nice selection: Thank you! I remember that zapper had a recommendation for Draco.
zapper, you have mentioned the needed dependency towards dbus: As it seems this was removed and Draco be built without it. As fork of Lumina: Would this be also another possibility?

Draco won't work in Milky Way v0.4 and HyperbolaBSD because it requires ConsoleKit/logind, at least if you request rodlie (Draco's dev) a feature to disable it. Also, the option to disable D-Bus stills in wip branch, not stable one. In short, that option is a beta feature and requires testing.

g4jc wrote:

These are good selections, however I think OpenBox + Tint2 would also be useful for us. It is a minimalist stacking window manager with right click menu customizable in XML. Tint2 is a small taskbar for use with OpenBox.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/openbox
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tint2

Cool option for our official list, thank you!

Emulatorman wrote:

Draco won't work in Milky Way v0.4 and HyperbolaBSD because it requires ConsoleKit/logind, at least if you request rodlie (Draco's dev) a feature to disable it. Also, the option to disable D-Bus stills in wip branch, not stable one. In short, that option is a beta feature and requires testing.

Damn, had this in mind. Okay, will create a request on that. At least a question is a good one if the development is planned.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:

Damn, had this in mind. Okay, will create a request on that. At least a question is a good one if the development is planned.

Cool, thank you so much for your contribution smile

i would recommend jwm for the main desktop because it had many documentation on internet and had many feature possibilities.
many common desktop frame supported: edge tiling, eyecandy, dynamic menu, taskbar app and notification, etc.
another fun fact its suprisingly dustweight:
pacman -Qi
Name               : jwm                Name               : openbox          Name               : icewm        etc
Installed Size  : 307.00 KiB   Installed Size  : 1216.00 KiB   Installed Size  : 2.62 MiB    etc

for expert user alternative i think i3 alone is enough because the same reason as jwm: great documentation and feature possibilities.

as for displaymanager i would recommend slim for its ability to choose desktop session  and configurable ui.

im also curious about the future of these software:
1.pcmanfm ? most lightweight featurefull fm with good searching and displaying capabilities
2.iceweasel ? probably the only browser that can render and catch up with modern web technologies
3.libreoffice ? most document format support

Regarding pcmanfm: Is spacefm an alternative? dbus would therefore be just an option. The problem I see are plugins for proprietary services but perhaps those can be deactivated, especially the interface for those plugins.

dikasp2 wrote:

1.pcmanfm ? most lightweight featurefull fm with good searching and displaying capabilities

I'm not sure about it. If it has options to disable GNU/Linux based desktop frameworks, then it's ok.

dikasp2 wrote:

2.iceweasel ? probably the only browser that can render and catch up with modern web technologies

Iceweasel-UXP will be included, also Midori as alternative option.

dikasp2 wrote:

3.libreoffice ? most document format support

There are options to disable avahi, D-Bus and Java in LibreOffice, so it's possible to include.

11 (edited by dikasp2 2020-11-19 14:16:53)

im compiling a lightweight desktop software recomendation for upcoming hyperbolabsd prioritized in their capabilities and lightweightness, fell free to edit

main desktop
1.jwm,icewm
2.lumina
3.openbox+tint2
4.i3
5.fvwm,twm
6.slim+xscreensaver+nitrogen

file management
1.pcmanfm or thunar or spacefm
2.double commander, rox
3.ranger+other software for thumbnailing
4.*thumbnailers
5.*bulk rename tools
6.*file searching tools

accesories
1.leafpad or mousepad
2.xfburn
3.xcalc or gcalc
4.compton/picom
5.xarchiver+unar support
6.*vim's

multimedia (graphic, office, sound and video)
1.mpv
2.geeqie or ristretto
3.zathura+their extension
4.gimp+inkscape
5.libreoffice
6.*sound tools

internet
1.iceweasel
2.midori
3.ellinks,links,w3m
4.transmission or deluge or hefur
5.hexchat
6.*network management tools

other (system tools, preference)
1.lxterminal,xfceterminal,kitty,sakura
2.xterm,urxvt, terminator
3.grsync,meld
4.lxtask,xfcetaskmanager,htop
5.lxrandr+light
6.*power manager tools

games?
1.stone-soup
2.frozen-bubble
3.supertux
4.neverball
5.blobwars
6.armagetronad

programming?
not my field, pls edit

12 (edited by throgh 2020-11-19 17:46:18)

I'd like to add:

Multimedia
Shotcut or Openshot (Video editing)
Audacity

Internet and Network
Filezilla (would be nice)

Gaming
Minetest (Client and Server)
ScummVM
DOSBox
Mednafen / Mednaffe-GTK
Stella
Nestopia
Pingus
0 A.D.
SuperTuxKart

Programming
Codelite (perhaps?)

13 (edited by christian 2020-11-19 18:28:26)

Other than internet, I use my computer for playing music files, so I'm really hoping at least one exaile-style music player can make its way in.  Right now I'm using deadbeef, with a filebrowser plugin installed manually, but exaile and pragha are also good, as are clementine and strawberry (although those two are less lightweight).  A graphical mass tagger, like GNU easytag, is important to me as well.  I'll second the request for transmission.

Multimedia:
exaile, deadbeef, or strawberry
easytag

Internet:
transmission-gtk
claws-mail

christian wrote:

Other than internet, I use my computer for playing music files, so I'm really hoping at least one exaile-style music player can make it's way in.  Right now I'm using deadbeef, with a filebrowser plugin installed manually, but exaile and pragha are also good, as are clementine and strawberry (although those two are less lightweight).  A graphical mass tagger, like GNU easytag, is important to me as well.  I'll second the request for transmission.

Thanks, Easytag is also one good application.

multimedia
krita and/or mypaint

internet
gajim
qtox
jami?
icedove-uxp?

accesories
keepasxc
recordmydesktop

SimpleScreenRecorder would be interesting, but I don't know if it ever could get running on BSD.

Emulatorman wrote:

Made an issue about that: https://github.com/rodlie/draco/issues/50

throgh wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:

Made an issue about that: https://github.com/rodlie/draco/issues/50

Thank you throgh again.

19 (edited by throgh 2020-11-20 16:26:37)

throgh wrote:

No Draco so far under HyperbolaBSD. But that's fine: https://github.com/rodlie/draco/issues/50
The recommendation stays therefore at Lumina from the author of Draco.

might be usefull info

https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/ … -desktops/

Thank you for your contribution, coadde is upgrading our spreadsheet with those references.

cli:

xenocara-server                                                                                                                
xorg-video-intel                                                                                                               
xenocara-xinit                                                                                                                 
xenocara-setxkbmap                                                                                                             
xenocara-xinput                                                                                                                
xenocara-xev                                                                                                                   
xenocara-xkill                                                                                                                 
xenocara-xprop                                                                                                                 
xenocara-xrandr                                                                                                                
xenocara-xrdb                                                                                                                  
xenocara-xsetroot                                                                                                              
xenocara-xset                                                                                                                  
xenocara-xfontsel                                                                                                              
xenocara-xmessage                                                                                                              
xenocara-cwm                                                                                                                   
screen
fbset
wpa_supplicant                                                                                               
rxvt-unicode                                                                                                                   
urxvt-perls                                                                                                                    
xclip                                                                                                                          
terminus-font                                                                                                                  
alsa-utils                                                                                                                     
chrony                                                                                                                         
cronie                                                                                                                         
rsync                                                                                                                          
openssh                                                                                                                        
bc                                                                                                                             
scrot                                                                                                                          
poppler                                                                                                                        
beep                                                                                                                           
vorbis-tools                                                                                                                   
aria2                                                                                                                          
wget                                                                                                                           
cadaver                                                                                                                        
calcurse                                                                                                                       
ranger                                                                                                                         
odt2txt                                                                                                                        
perl-image-exiftool                                                                                                            
moc                                                                                                                            
faad2                                                                                                                          
libmpcdec                                                                                                                      
wavpack                                                                                                                        
taglib                                                                                                                         
lynx                                                                                                                           
mutt                                                                                                                           
abook                                                                                                                          
getmail                                                                                                                        
aspell-it                                                                                                                      
aspell-es                                                                                                                      
aspell-en                                                                                                                      
hunspell-es                                                                                                                    
hunspell-en                                                                                                                    
hunspell-it    
dosfstools                                                                                                                     
ntfs-3g                                                                                                                        
smartmontools                                                                                                                  
ffmpeg                                                                                                                         
python2-lxml                                                                                                                   
python2-xdg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              xtrlock                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
sc                                                                                                                             
wavemon  
toxic                                                                                                                      
profanity                                                                                                                      
vim                                                                                                                            
vim-spell-it                                                                                                                   
vim-spell-es                                                                                                                   
atool     
wmctrl    

gui

librecad
abiword
gnumeric
sxiv
mupdf
gimp
inkscape
iceweasel-uxp
epiphany or midori (I just need a WebKit browser)

freecad
megaglest
gpa
obs studio
kicad
arduino
monero-gui
icestudio (fpga)
sqlite3browser
torbrowser

plasma (if possible)

Ready to sacrifice beauty(plasma) for other DE for security and freedom if that's the cost.

24 (edited by dikasp2 2020-11-25 00:09:21)

well dont worry @sagaracharya, everything is possible in linux err.. i mean bsd world smile

plasma is just some DE which beautiful by default, literaly any DE can be as much beautifull as you want

here some example:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=openbox+trans … ;ia=images

also dont forget to check my friend's creation smile smile :
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1393227/

although if you want lightweight DE that beautifull by default enlightenment already there for you

as for advanced user i think urxvt and compiz is very enough big_smile
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=i3+gaps+trans … ;ia=images

im also curious about the compabilty of next hyperpacman

can we grasp the old non dbus,consolekit,etc package from old hyperbola and install them in hyperbsd ?

and what about bsd port, can we use it in hyperbsd ?