Re: Support for development of packages and applications in Hyperbola 0.4

Good news at all as nestopia is coming - back again - to Hyperbola. The PKGBUILD is now ready for a commit, but I'll have to retest also handbrake not being able to be built within chroot for now. Will take a little bit more time, but not too long. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I need the packages bc and patchutils for packaging. Is there any alternative for these utilities in our repos, or do I need to package these dependencies first?

So, I'm asking, will I be able to use other free alternatives in makedepends for above 2 packages?

Today, the forces which make the rich richer and poor poorer have their roots in computer security. Never has it been more important to work towards abolishing the power of the powerful.

Let's use hyperbola or other libre OSes and strive towards stateless hardware (Rutkowska 2015). Let's use PinePhone and shun Android and iPhone which pretend to be secure.

Don't know those packages in depth, so personally I cannot say if we have alternatives available right now. In general: If they are free licensed (it seems so) you can create the corresponding PKGBUILD-scripts and add them. Otherwise I'll do that later on!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

129 (edited by zapper 2022-01-17 16:29:14)

throgh wrote:

Don't know those packages in depth, so personally I cannot say if we have alternatives available right now. In general: If they are free licensed (it seems so) you can create the corresponding PKGBUILD-scripts and add them. Otherwise I'll do that later on!

https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit
https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit/releases
https://github.com/joewing/jwm/releases/tag/v2.4.0

I thought I would show you the above links, but just to be clear, The newest JWMKIT requires jwm 2.4.0.

It has some improvements that are good, but, it might be better to wait for the fourth stable because of this:

January 16 2022
Complete re-write of JWM Kit Keys

40% less code
Lighter on resources
Major interface improvements
Easier to use
Support for key, keycode, and mouse bindings"

If you upgrade JWM, upgrade JWMKIT too and vice versa...

I am not sure what will happen with a mismatch... wink

EDIT: The fourth stable will likely have those improvements and maybe others too.

smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

. . . It has some improvements that are good, but, it might be better to wait for the fourth stable because of this . . .

You are correct. The forth stable will be released soon. Packaging the 3rd Release would be a waste of time.

zapper wrote:

. . .  but just to be clear, The newest JWMKIT requires jwm 2.4.0.

There seems to be some confusion here. The newest JWM Kit support 2.4.0 but it does NOT require it. You can use it with version 2.3.x, or with the new 2.4.x.  In fact JWM Kit was designed so you can run it without having jwm installed. This would allowing you to create JWM configurations without having JWM installed.

Sorry if anything in my announcement gave the wrong idea. I have made a update to the codeberg site to clarify this.

Well:

JWM 2.4 supported but NOT required by JWM Kit.
JWM Kit still supports older version of JWM as well as the new version 2.4. You can use either.

So we can package the new version. smile
Next commit will include that.

throgh wrote:

So we can package the new version. smile
Next commit will include that.

Wow fast reply.

Just as soon as possible: Seems I have opened the forum just in time. As working now also to include geany, so it'll contain more.

134 (edited by zapper 2022-01-17 23:14:24)

JWMKit wrote:
zapper wrote:

. . . It has some improvements that are good, but, it might be better to wait for the fourth stable because of this . . .

You are correct. The forth stable will be released soon. Packaging the 3rd Release would be a waste of time.

zapper wrote:

. . .  but just to be clear, The newest JWMKIT requires jwm 2.4.0.

There seems to be some confusion here. The newest JWM Kit support 2.4.0 but it does NOT require it. You can use it with version 2.3.x, or with the new 2.4.x.  In fact JWM Kit was designed so you can run it without having jwm installed. This would allowing you to create JWM configurations without having JWM installed.

Sorry if anything in my announcement gave the wrong idea. I have made a update to the codeberg site to clarify this.

Ah, well that is good to know that it works with either.  smile

Wait, you can use JWMKIT without JWM?  Hmm, what happens if you do so though? Does any of the functionality still work? What is missing aka...

Or did I misunderstand this too?

Either way though, that puzzles me.

Fourth Stable will probably be interesting though. smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Just to note: The update is now within git and waiting for further handling of building, when Coadde and Emulatorman have time to do so (there are bunch of packages now in the pipeline waiting).

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … e65b33e020

More to come later as I'm working on php updating and fixing some problems with Debian-patches. So also being possible then will be an alternative named php-gmagick using our graphicsmagick as we don't support imagemagick. See here the issue for more: https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php … amp;dev=39

Concurrent issues being worked on:

FS#1184
FS#1154
FS#1194
FS#1177

Yes, those are old issues. Nevertheless: They were created and need a review, being worked onto. Unresolved issues are a problem, not only security-wise. wink

@zapper ( and anyone else interested )
In order to keep this thread on topic I've responded to your comments about running JWM Kit without JWM here:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=33987#p33987