Re: Support for development of packages and applications in Hyperbola 0.4

Good news at all as nestopia is coming - back again - to Hyperbola. The PKGBUILD is now ready for a commit, but I'll have to retest also handbrake not being able to be built within chroot for now. Will take a little bit more time, but not too long. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I need the packages bc and patchutils for packaging. Is there any alternative for these utilities in our repos, or do I need to package these dependencies first?

So, I'm asking, will I be able to use other free alternatives in makedepends for above 2 packages?

Don't know those packages in depth, so personally I cannot say if we have alternatives available right now. In general: If they are free licensed (it seems so) you can create the corresponding PKGBUILD-scripts and add them. Otherwise I'll do that later on!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

129 (edited by zapper 2022-01-17 16:29:14)

throgh wrote:

Don't know those packages in depth, so personally I cannot say if we have alternatives available right now. In general: If they are free licensed (it seems so) you can create the corresponding PKGBUILD-scripts and add them. Otherwise I'll do that later on!

https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit
https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit/releases
https://github.com/joewing/jwm/releases/tag/v2.4.0

I thought I would show you the above links, but just to be clear, The newest JWMKIT requires jwm 2.4.0.

It has some improvements that are good, but, it might be better to wait for the fourth stable because of this:

January 16 2022
Complete re-write of JWM Kit Keys

40% less code
Lighter on resources
Major interface improvements
Easier to use
Support for key, keycode, and mouse bindings"

If you upgrade JWM, upgrade JWMKIT too and vice versa...

I am not sure what will happen with a mismatch... wink

EDIT: The fourth stable will likely have those improvements and maybe others too.

smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

. . . It has some improvements that are good, but, it might be better to wait for the fourth stable because of this . . .

You are correct. The forth stable will be released soon. Packaging the 3rd Release would be a waste of time.

zapper wrote:

. . .  but just to be clear, The newest JWMKIT requires jwm 2.4.0.

There seems to be some confusion here. The newest JWM Kit support 2.4.0 but it does NOT require it. You can use it with version 2.3.x, or with the new 2.4.x.  In fact JWM Kit was designed so you can run it without having jwm installed. This would allowing you to create JWM configurations without having JWM installed.

Sorry if anything in my announcement gave the wrong idea. I have made a update to the codeberg site to clarify this.

Well:

JWM 2.4 supported but NOT required by JWM Kit.
JWM Kit still supports older version of JWM as well as the new version 2.4. You can use either.

So we can package the new version. smile
Next commit will include that.

throgh wrote:

So we can package the new version. smile
Next commit will include that.

Wow fast reply.

Just as soon as possible: Seems I have opened the forum just in time. As working now also to include geany, so it'll contain more.

134 (edited by zapper 2022-01-17 23:14:24)

JWMKit wrote:
zapper wrote:

. . . It has some improvements that are good, but, it might be better to wait for the fourth stable because of this . . .

You are correct. The forth stable will be released soon. Packaging the 3rd Release would be a waste of time.

zapper wrote:

. . .  but just to be clear, The newest JWMKIT requires jwm 2.4.0.

There seems to be some confusion here. The newest JWM Kit support 2.4.0 but it does NOT require it. You can use it with version 2.3.x, or with the new 2.4.x.  In fact JWM Kit was designed so you can run it without having jwm installed. This would allowing you to create JWM configurations without having JWM installed.

Sorry if anything in my announcement gave the wrong idea. I have made a update to the codeberg site to clarify this.

Ah, well that is good to know that it works with either.  smile

Wait, you can use JWMKIT without JWM?  Hmm, what happens if you do so though? Does any of the functionality still work? What is missing aka...

Or did I misunderstand this too?

Either way though, that puzzles me.

Fourth Stable will probably be interesting though. smile

Just to note: The update is now within git and waiting for further handling of building, when Coadde and Emulatorman have time to do so (there are bunch of packages now in the pipeline waiting).

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … e65b33e020

More to come later as I'm working on php updating and fixing some problems with Debian-patches. So also being possible then will be an alternative named php-gmagick using our graphicsmagick as we don't support imagemagick. See here the issue for more: https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php … amp;dev=39

Concurrent issues being worked on:

FS#1184
FS#1154
FS#1194
FS#1177

Yes, those are old issues. Nevertheless: They were created and need a review, being worked onto. Unresolved issues are a problem, not only security-wise. wink

@zapper ( and anyone else interested )
In order to keep this thread on topic I've responded to your comments about running JWM Kit without JWM here:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=33987#p33987

I hope this is the right place to post this. I would of flagged the package as out of date with a comment, but wanted to address how to improve the PKGBUILD. I tried using the add a bug link and got a 404 error

New Release : jwmkit 20220203
This is JWM Kit's 5th stable release.  I made the 4th release yesterday, but quickly noticed and fixed a few issues so that's how we jumped to 5th release.

Suggestion to improve with the build script
JWM Kti no longer depends on aucatctl. Remove it from the optional depends
Delete the file jwmkit.install from the repository. it is not used.

Thanks for your attention, and I hope the info was helpful

Thanks for the feedback: The 404-error is coming because the repositories are not final switched towards "stable" and we are preparing so far what we can. I'll update the PKGBUILD later for the new version.

Updated jwmkit: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … a84b9b54e9

@throgh
Nice.  All look good

There are some discussions around the UXP-applications and so I think for now it should be clear: All UXP-applications stay in the repositories until otherwise said. The reasoning is that icedove-uxp is a fine application for calendar- and mail-management for example. iceweasel-uxp and iceape-uxp are functional so far as browsers. When possible we all can search for possible replacements - and please for now claws-mail is not alone. But please also to remember: Just if something works for me or you, does not mean it works for everyone else. That's the point and most reasoning we wait, especially because 0.4 must be first released in the public.

We have also no time for sure to jump behind every new released application with some promises. Here to remember: If you want something to be pushed forward, you are invited to work also for yourself and share what you have found out for everyone else to test. If we would do so and jump behind everything, we can never release version 0.4.

To add also: It is not that easy as imagined when building complex applications, services and libraries. Not only a push into the repositories. Also a list on what is needed to be build in which order, otherwise dependencies are gone missing and so the build-process cannot be finished with success. So when you just look on some packages with their dependencies, you also need to look very close what is needed.

144 (edited by zapper 2022-02-09 17:12:52)

throgh wrote:

There are some discussions around the UXP-applications and so I think for now it should be clear: All UXP-applications stay in the repositories until otherwise said. The reasoning is that icedove-uxp is a fine application for calendar- and mail-management for example. iceweasel-uxp and iceape-uxp are functional so far as browsers. When possible we all can search for possible replacements - and please for now claws-mail is not alone. But please also to remember: Just if something works for me or you, does not mean it works for everyone else. That's the point and most reasoning we wait, especially because 0.4 must be first released in the public.

We have also no time for sure to jump behind every new released application with some promises. Here to remember: If you want something to be pushed forward, you are invited to work also for yourself and share what you have found out for everyone else to test. If we would do so and jump behind everything, we can never release version 0.4.

I think you are missing the point... the uxp applications are no longer being updated...

Thus, it is a huge security issue.  I  strongly believe,  that Emulatorman would disagree if they are no longer being updated.

That being said, if you could convince Luke to work on Hyperbola some more, aka, developing newer versions of UXP, then I have no doubt it would be no problem whatsoever.

Though, I don't know if that is possible, he seems to be losing interest last I checked with him.

My point though, is that wisdom needs to be used regarding the uxp situation.

If you want to save the current packages somewhere until you can convince Luke or someone else to work on it, that's one thing, but its really a very bad idea to keep them in  without updating. 

I fear you will disagree, but I hope wisdom will prevail in this situation.

Edit: typos

I have no doubt that UXP-applications being no longer updated. And I have no doubt that we have to remove them at one point when there is no further way. But I underline again: It is not missing the point that Hyperbola needs to focus on points as we have not much time and therefore workforce to go for multiple workloads for now.

So either the community is going to support, or we can only do at a time what we are doing. This means also: Focus onto the release for now. There is nothing missing the point into that as there are enough packages to be prepared. That's all I have written and said. And for sure there are going to be security-issues. The point here is: Browsers like the smaller ones we have won't solve that problem incoming.

We need also to find a solution for calendar-management (CalDAV and CardDAV) and can combine them with claws-mail. Everyone is invited to help here also. Again: Just something is working for one individual does not mean it works for all at once. So I manage my digital calendar with icedove-uxp. Removing it, leaves me for example with a missing point and for sure I am not the only one. So instead of discussing the point of UXP-applications, I remember that there is need for that as free software only exists with the community-effort: Finding a good workflow instead and then removing UXP-applications from the repositories. But also here to remember: People come with names and having no "Mozilla" in any case means therefore more time for the team and the community to explain up and down as not everyone is involved in ...

... the problems with Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird ...
... the technical issues being related to those ...
... the reasoning why we removed then alternatives ...
... and last but not least cannot build newer versions (using Rust as dependency).

So I want to make sure that we don't go up and down with those discussions, because at one point there is no further time and room for. And to be honest: I don't want to explain that everytime again to people asking why no version x of application y. Not meant personal, but I had enough of that for now. wink

Although I have never used it, maybe an option for viewing and managing CalDAV and CardDAV is Radicale with InfCloud, CalDavZAP and CardDavMATE.

let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

Thanks will be part of our list for further research after the release. And for sure there will be more work to come then for 0.4.1. wink

148 (edited by nparafe 2022-02-11 08:04:08)

Nice! CalDAV is so important for my daily workflow.

How else can I keep postponing todo tasks from ... August 2015? tongue

let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

Hello together, we have now reached the next step for our TODO-list with adding libvirt and virt-manager.
The following packages won't be part for 0.4 and are going to be part for later releases:

blender
0ad

To get the listing for those: packages_added-later.md

Correction for the todo-lists (please look also at the first posting within this thread):

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … t_0.4.1.md